How much changed from vanilla civ..(to previous civs)

starrywisdom

Warlord
Sorry for the silly question, but is there a list out there of all the changes to previous civs/mechanics over the vanilla game. I don't mean new features(like religion and the such), but more of like a patch notes list.

Just purchased G&K and installing now, and while i do intend to play for a long time - it'll be quite some time before i play ever civ in a game again. I like to be informed and don't want to see some iriquois warrior and let him pass by not thinking he's a threat when he sudeenly starts rampaging through everything(as an example, highly doubtful) lol.

Sorry, I know it's a weird question - but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Old civs haven't changed. Only Songhai, England and Ottomans I believe. As for the rest:

It is a pretty vague question, indeed.

In general, I'd say that production costs, rushbuy costs, early tech costs etc. are exactly the same as in vanilla. Although you have a lot more options with the addition of religion and the tech tree is much longer because of some added techs.

Spearmen got a slight buff, pikemen are better than swordsmen now but civil service got pushed back in the tech tree a bit.
The new composite bowmen at construction is a very powerful unit on defense and offense.

If you are on defense, kill siege units at all costs. They are pretty weak against units but devastating against cities. Ranged units are better against units and ok against cities.
On offense, never underestimate city strength. You have to field a much larger army now, especially the attack of melee units got severely nerfed against cities.

Upgrade paths have changed, the most noticable change is spearmen -> pikemen -> lancer or the new archer line is archer -> cbows -> xbows -> gatling gun etc.

I'm sure you heard about the new naval combat. The most surprising unit is definately the iron clad. It's extremely strong now and very good against cities.

I think that's all you need to know. The rest comes from experience and reading a few topics here.

Oh, and watch these videos by MadDjinn: Very good overview and "first-day-analysis"!
Social Policies: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzx7St-T5Q
Technology Tree and units: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmuAAWitQw
City States and Diplomacy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9Otcd-6X0

Edit: Old civs haven't changed. Only Songhai, England and Ottomans I believe.

And Siam (faith doubled from city states as well as culture and food), if you're just talking about UAs. But as most unit strength etc. changed, this affected the UUs as well. Also there are lots of indirect changes that affect civs in one way or another, and where UUs replace units that required iron in vanilla but no longer do, the UUs don't either (e.g. Roman ballista and Korean hwach'a no longer require iron).

Yea, sorry I wasn't looking for minute details like "Spearman damage increased by .0923". Just for sweeping changes, like the ones both of you posted. I watched the videos as well(actually what convinced me to purchase the expansion in the first place!).

I'm ingame now; and got my warrior upgraded into a battering ram and took out a city state in record time for me with just the battering ram and a warrior, was kinda hilarious.

Yea, sorry I wasn't looking for minute details like "Spearman damage increased by .0923". Just for sweeping changes, like the ones both of you posted. I watched the videos as well(actually what convinced me to purchase the expansion in the first place!).

I'm ingame now; and got my warrior upgraded into a battering ram and took out a city state in record time for me with just the battering ram and a warrior, was kinda hilarious.

Hurry up ! Kill any CS or civ which is nearby with ur newly upgraded battering ram.

Warrior -> Ram (by ruins) = a civ/CS dead by turn 7.

Top Bottom