Seems like they're cramming this xpac

On the Well of Soul's website there is a screenshot of the ENTIRE tech tree in BNW, and looking at it, the Bazooka isn't some missile infantry unit but appears to be some huge futuristic cannon of sort.

What i am complacent about however is it seems like they could have added all these features in less than 3 years. [...]

What your opinions?

No, the devs are really hitting their stride with this expansion, and that came from 2.5 years of having the game out and playing it, getting feedback, suggestions, seeing people who've mastered it play it, etc. Truly getting to *know* the game and what it's potential is. If Civ5 were just getting released now there is no way the game would be as balanced, fun and interesting as BNW will be (at least as I am anticipating it to be:)) and the mechanics/features being added in this XP would be as interestingly implemented as they are.

(Side note, I don't think you know what "complacent" means...;))

These expansions were most likely mapped out in the development of Vanilla. Its very very rare for a studio to make a game and then go "Now what?". Everything in the games life cycle would have been basically mapped out ahead of time (with the 'subject to change' label but usually the plan stays mostly intact).

Each project is costed and ROI is calculated. Games today are far to expensive to make to role them out like in the old days. Contrary to popular belief, most game studios don't make any money. Really a few big publishers give the impression that there is a ton of money in the industry when really most need to own 50 independent studios to turn that profit.

Reading every forum for every game I play, the same things are said. Studios release unfinished games, "They could do all that in a year or two" and truly it saddens me that the global player base has not learned that they think wrong on how games (and software in general) have to be made

/endrant

Seriously this xpac though is a lot bigger than I expected prior to hearing information.

Its obvious vanilla was simplified a lot from older civs, most likely due to the transition in the code the game is written in (can't reuse any old functions) and it is awesome to see some more complex features come back into the mix in a way that Python would never of handled gracefully on a modern PC.

These expansions were most likely mapped out in the development of Vanilla. Its very very rare for a studio to make a game and then go "Now what?". Everything in the games life cycle would have been basically mapped out ahead of time (with the 'subject to change' label but usually the plan stays mostly intact).

Each project is costed and ROI is calculated. Games today are far to expensive to make to role them out like in the old days. Contrary to popular belief, most game studios don't make any money. Really a few big publishers give the impression that there is a ton of money in the industry when really most need to own 50 independent studios to turn that profit.

Reading every forum for every game I play, the same things are said. Studios release unfinished games, "They could do all that in a year or two" and truly it saddens me that the global player base has not learned that they think wrong on how games (and software in general) have to be made

/endrant

Seriously this xpac though is a lot bigger than I expected prior to hearing information.

Its obvious vanilla was simplified a lot from older civs, most likely due to the transition in the code the game is written in (can't reuse any old functions) and it is awesome to see some more complex features come back into the mix in a way that Python would never of handled gracefully on a modern PC.

Vanilla also overhauled a number of big, core game concepts. Population based science instead of the slider, hexes instead of squares, ranged combat, ZoC and 1UPT instead of the Stack of Doom, policy trees, city defense, an alternative for tech trading, major graphic improvements. No wonder they had to cut back on features.

Vanilla also overhauled a number of big, core game concepts. Population based science instead of the slider, hexes instead of squares, ranged combat, ZoC and 1UPT instead of the Stack of Doom, policy trees, city defense, an alternative for tech trading, major graphic improvements. No wonder they had to cut back on features.

that right there is the reason why vanilla seemed so plain. i am hoping they add in more options in
espionage and religions. some of my favorite things to simulate in religion are excommunication and holy wars. i also like sabotuer work of spies in being able to disrupt fortifications, picking a building to demolish, and stealing great people, and leaving quitely if there nothing you wanted to do to a city at
that moment.

And G&K is actually better than both Conquests and Warlords.

It was better than Beyond the Sword too. At least Gods & Kings didn't need a fan made patch to actually be playable. I know we've moved it to this pedestal since it was fixed, but at release it was a disastrous buggy mess. Added to that the features were over engineered and got in the way of the game for the most part. The spies were poorly done and corporations were just silly.

Since the official patch fixed the bugs though, people got over that, and the ability of modders to work with it in general allowed the game to get us from 2007 through to the 2010 release of Civ V. Sadly though that gave us enough time to equate "Beyond the Sword" with "Civ IV" in general so whenever anyone was annoyed with anything about Civ V it became "Not as good as Civ IV" and when the DLC fear kicked in (OH NO, SOMEONE DIFFERENT!!!!) all that fear that people had about not getting expansion packs was expressed by referring to how glorious Beyond the Sword was. The great irony of course was that Beyond the Sword was a buggier pile of rubbish than Civ V has been at any stage of it's release.

I didn't like civ 4 - in any of it's versions. Civ 3 was great and so is Civ 5 but I just didn't like the way civ 4 worked both before and after Beyond the Sword

If they were looking to expand it wouldn't be hard. if you cant find things from the whole of human history to use you aren't trying.

Things that could be added too, altered or added

Disease
Disasters
Business
Civil War
Alternate Leaders
Extra Civs
Natural Wonders
Colonial era civs
A real Earth Map
Expanded mapping and mapping tools
More complex one on one diplomacy
More resources
More complex religion
More variety in non Euro civs
Pre created generic units and icons for modding

I didn't like civ 3. When I was at war I had to move like 50 units and then the next turn I would have to move 50 units and then the next turn I had to move 50 units. I hated having to move units from one place to another. If it had the stack units button like they did in civ 4 then I would have enjoyed that game more.

We're unlikely to get another expansion (and I'm okay with that - there's Civilization VI to develop!) but top of my list for features would be:
Colonies, Corporations, Civil Wars.

My primary wish for a new expansion would be controllable diseases/plagues. Disease is one of the most important factors in the history of our species. It could be made a weapon in Civ 5/6 to keep the focus in the players hands. It would promote continued trade/interaction (to increase immunity), construction of new techs/buildings/the return of "health" to add tenets to your set of domestic pathogens which you could then spread across trade routes/warfare/tech theft/etc. that could add so much more.

Health in civ 4 didn't make a return to Civ 5 - but I think it could return if its approached from this angle instead. Diseases would become even more controllable in later eras as civilizations begin developing vaccines, chemical weapons, engineering of controllable diseases, and play an even bigger potential threat as the world gets more globalized so you have to focus on the health of your people

Moderator Action: Postpone the discussion about a 3rd expansion til the 2nd expansion is released!
Deal here with the problems of the current expansion, and not with the future!

Top Bottom