Ideas and Development--Story NES

North King

blech
I don’t know about you guys, but I kinda like writing. I mean, real writing. Novel material, with characters, plot, setting, all that good stuff. Finding words for something is fun, and the sheer idea of creating a story that someone else might read, enjoy, and get something out of, gives you a feeling of fulfillment like nothing else–delightful and intoxicating.

Why do I begin with this opening paragraph?

Well, the joy of storywriting for storywriting’s sake is something that quite a few of us share in this forum. I suspect a lot of us joined or stayed after joining because the “games” that we play actually become multi-faceted pieces of work, tapestries of the various characters that interweave into forming something great. Well, at least, that’s me. I’m weird, of course.

But that’s pretty much the point of this. I’d make a cheesy appeal to the acronym–Never Ending STORY, and point out that it really has become an Always Ending GAME, but that wouldn’t really sway any of you, because you love the game. So do I. But I also love a story.

So what I want to do is, on the side of all the “games” I’m playing in, I want to write a “story” NES–one which is pure story. No stats to worry about. No updates, either. The players make the NES, not the moderator. Heck, the only job of the moderator is to calm people down and draw a map.

So this would be a pure story NES, one composed entirely of stories. Wow, I just managed to phrase that three different ways. No need to applaud (rolls eyes at self).

The main thing is, this would be done for fun and joy. We would not be competing, we would be in it for the happiness of reading and writing stories in a place where they’d be appreciated. So if you’re interested, please do let me know, so that I realize that there is indeed interest in this.

I have given a little thought to it, and though nothing concrete has formed (except for the purity of the story), I do have a few ideas, as did several others I contacted with the proposal (notably das. Actually, more or less entirely das).

The real choice, when it comes down to it, is the eternal debate of fresh start vs. pre-made. And others have felt, perhaps for our writers’ sanity, so they don’t have to create a world in their writing from scratch, perhaps it would be good to start with a pre-made world. So that’s the first question–fresh start or pre-made.

There’s a lot to be said for both. Fresh start obviously gives more room for creativity, especially on a random map. You can do anything and everything you want.

Well, das and I really gave more thought to the pre-made world, since we basically agreed that would likely be the more popular idea.

I was thinking some kind of classical age NES with pre made empires on a random map–but he suggested something which does sound quite interesting. Basically it would be a modernistic empire which is crumbling due to internal corruption and other such forces, falling apart under its own weight like Rome. But this “Rome” would have modern technology, and much bigger–really a monumental empire.

I suggested, and we agreed, that even in a modern age NES, there should be new frontiers to be established and new lands to be conquered, thus we set as a maximum level for general technology at pre-space age. After the space age, satellite imagery puts the unknown factor on the actual planet to nil, and we’d have to wait until the interstellar age (or at least the interplanetary) for new grounds. Thus, we basically agreed on a modernistic, corrupt, falling apart empire of 1940s era technology, though it could have advancements further than that in some fields.

The main question here is wether to set it on Earth–alternate history required, or to set it on a random map–a history from scratch required. I think that if the players wanted to help contribute, that would be grand, but it would also add more consistency to have a couple or only several people write the main history (art should never be decided by a committee); I would volunteer for it, with what little spare time I have. I think das, with his love of history, would like to help (yep, I just volunteered you), and probably some others.

So what say you, NESers? Are you willing to set out to start a Story NES? And if you are:

Fresh start or Pre-Made?
World Map or Random Map?
Players create the world as we write, or a few people give the overall backdrop?
Idea above: yay or nay?

So there you go. Forgive me if it’s incoherent. As usual, I wrote this very early in the morning. ;)

This definately has my attention. I know, I don't write many stories, but usually I have severe writers block mixed with thinking of too many limitations based on present history. The reason I prefer alt-hist is because I really don't have to think about history too much.

So, I fully support this, and think it will bring us back down to our roots of the first Never Ending Story, and who knows, maybe it will never end (yeah right).

I say:
Pre-Made
Random Map (this way we have everything from scratch, you can make more stuff up and use more creativity)
Overall Backdrop (Simplistic, general background, so we have a setting and know what's going on, but can all mold it together)
YAY!

Don't worry, its coherent. My opinion is ofcourse already known. ;) However, while I do agree to write the history, you NK will have to do the map. Especially if its a "random" one, you're good with those.

Modern sounds very interesting. I would be interested to hop aboard - especially since it seems GoobNES is pretty silent, and 99% of peeps would rather not have me join up as EIC in Panda's ;)

Also, the 1940s backdrop meets with top approval :D World map would make things much easier too (since a random map would have similar general characteristics anyway - warm equator, cold poles, etc.etc.etc. with similar cultures - Amazonian, European, etc.)

Yes, but on the other hand a random map would leave imagination much freer. Not sure.

Not to mention create trouble for someone who's trying to write a story and try to change names around and stuff.
I don't see much point in creating a world which will be in all probability similar to RL Earth in terms of culture and geographical nature. The time and effort costs aren't really worth the benefit, IMO.

Perhaps, perhaps... On the other hand, it will make the actual creation of the empire much easier - right now I'm still not completely sure which one of the Earth variants to choose, and how exactly should it develop to this point.

This..is..amazing...simply amazing.

I love this. This is what i've tried to do in most NESes(except the last 3-4 i've had in DAS nes, and Iggies NES.) I think stories are the thing that makes this game great. The characters, storylines driven by the actions of the multitudes.

I vote Pre-made
Random
Make as we go.

But I think we could add two fold to this project. One person who would "Compile" the stories, like in a first post, so they could be accessed easily.

And if there is a Mod, have updates, but without stats or orders, but just at either pre-determined or random times, have someone write an overall result of peoples actions, just to keep things going and realistic. Because without this, I forsee some body coming in, writing 7 stories about inventing the Nuke, and then blowing the place to smithereens. Not that that would be bad.....

And if needed(though i doubt it) I volunteer to help(but then again, you probably don't need me)

In the old days - hell, even today, though it matters less now - when somebody wrote something the rest thought... unlikely, or otherwise unfair, he was simply shouted down by everybody. Now THAT is enforcement of realism. ;)

I'm disapointed in you guys, as much as you poist Das as your God you still havn't killed me yet...

Why bother? You aren't worth the effort. :p

Now lets get back on topic, there still is much to discuss here.

I see there is much support for either or. Well, that leaves us with a lot to work with, at least. :p

das: Map? I'd always do map. Or history, for that matter. :p

So anyway, lets decide first things first - random map (in which case NK should draw it straight away (well, ideally anyway he should ;) ), so that we could get to the history after I'm done with the NES2 VI update) or Earth map? I'd go for either, Banana is pro-Earth, tommy is pro-random, as is Swiss. Everybody else seems undecided. NK?

I'm pro-random by default. But if it's me drawing the map, be well warned it will have its quirks. ;)

Top Bottom