Suggestion: Real borders - not cultural borders! (Civ 4 or 5)

PieceOfMind

Drill IV Defender
Retired Moderator

Article has been revised. (24th June)

Here I have written about how borders should be fixed for Civ 5. Previously this article was very long so I have compressed it a lot and made it more to the point. The old article can be found inside the spoiler box in the third post.

Let's assume that national borders only become available after the discovery of nationalism or some other appropriate tech.

Three elements should determine borders:

• Culture
  • Diplomacy
  • Military

Before Nationalism,

Borders expand in a similar fashion to that in Civ4. That is, city radii slowly increase as culture increases. However, once a border attempts to expand across an existing border of another civ, the civ who had rights to the land first will keep it. The only way to take the land is to go to war with the civ and capture the offending cities.

After Nationalism,

Civ's will have "national" borders. This can be representative of the fact that the civs now behave more like nations or states rather than empires or culture groups.

Borders can now be negotiated between any two civs at peace. This would be a completely new item for trading. After selecting the option to negotiate borders, you would be taken to an interface on the main game screen where you could highlight the territory you wish to change, or draw the new border as a line.

Borders can also now be conquered via military pressure. This has been the hardest part to figure out. My original suggestion was to have units "absorb" or "capture" territory by holding it for a number of turns. While this is still my preferred method, there are likely to be many other equally good suggestions. One of which was made by dfi666 where you flag the territory you want to take and when peace is declared the border gets redrawn.

Extra restrictions: I think you should be restricted to only asking for land which you have some cultural influence over. Since we're talking about Civ5, we can make culture more outreaching or work differently to how it does in Civ4. If people disagree with this idea I could remove it, but I think it is a sensible restriction on border growth.

Please go ahead and comment. There are many good ideas out there and I want to see what people think about Civ borders and to give their opinions how they should be fixed.

The old article. Read only if you're really interested ... as I went into much more detail.

Spoiler :
A new system for determining national borders. One that makes sense!

Recently I've been debating what changes should be made to forts in Civ 4, but I realised some of the best ideas for making them useful again were hindered by Civ4's border system. Since Civ3, I thought it a bit weird that borders should depend on culture alone. Many of us have probably forgotten how flawed the concept is, or gotten used to it and so don't ask for anything better. I know the idea of negotiable borders has been around on the forums for a long time though. Is Firaxis listening?

Below I propose a new system for how borders are determined. My apologies if these ideas are the same as former suggestions, and I'm sure they will be similar to some. These suggestions are mainly for the development of Civ5 but also for modders of Civ4. I would love if someone took this idea further and made it into a mod. However, I suspect the changes needed, especially to diplomacy, would be too great to do in Civ4's framework.

The system I propose is, of course, not perfect and to demonstrate this I have already noted some issues and concerns I believe would hold back this idea. Most of these concerns would be because of the nature of the game changing, but if Civ didn't change between each title, it'd get a bit boring. In my opinion a change to borders is overdue - it should have been done for Civ4. I would be disappointed if borders were not reworked for Civ5.

I'd like to know what you think of the idea. I'm sure there'll be critical things I've overlooked or forgotten to mention. Perhaps my whole idea'll be shot down! Other people will have even better ideas about borders which don't depend on just culture.

Page 2

Overview

First, an overview of the changes I'd like:
Roughly speaking, borders should be able to be renegotiated through diplomacy, where the stronger nation has more power to dictate the borders, be that through intimidation or by trade. Failed negotiations could result in war. Once at war, the aggressor would need to push back the border by occupying the territory he wants. If he's able to hold the territory, the borders will be redefined so that he owns the territory he has successfully invaded. You wouldn't be able to hold an empire the size of Russia, for example, unless you had a mighty military to defend its borders. Through diplomatic negotiations, the leader proposing the change would need to draw out the new border, or "highlight" the contested tiles he would like to have.

Basically the whole premise of this system is that ownership of a tile will be taken away only if you allow it or it is forcefully taken from you. It's that simple. No more of these weird "steam roller" scenarios. If you want to steam roll, you must do it with culture and force!

THE PROPOSED BORDER SYSTEM

I would like to disassemble the whole idea of borders depending solely on culture as they do in Civ 3 and 4, and rebuild a more sensible and realistic system for borders. I believe borders should depend on 3 things, all being critical in some way. They are:
  • Culture
  • Military occupation, and
  • Diplomacy

I believe the changes below do not depart far from the civilization game we already know and love yet at the same time would add a lot more strategy to the game.

I will do my best to explain in detail the changes I propose. Bear with me, for some of the detail is a bit wordy but that is because the current culture system is very complicated and I would like to try and keep it as similar as possible to Civ4 while introducing the new ideas.

In the beginning, borders will still depend mainly on culture. An infant city will not be able to claim territory any more than the 8 tiles adjacent to it, just like in Civ4 now. However, as it matures and its cultural influence on the surrounding region increases, it can claim more territory. In particular, it can now work the tiles that are in the traditional "fat cross" or more technically the 2-tile radius. Borders will continue to expand by culture in the usual way until a border attempts to expand across an existing border of a rival. At this point, whoever claimed the tile first keeps control of it. "Finders keepers" if you will, or "I called it first!". Culture alone will NEVER cause a tile to flip from one civ to another. However, as in Civ4, for the purpose of calculations culture of the various civs who have influence over that tile will accumulate (and be stored) on the tile. This will be important later for when I describe how military occupation can flip territory. The old "culture bomb" from Civ4 will be mostly useless now, except for claiming unowned territory or making it easier for military occupation to flip tiles.

Border dynamics will be most exciting when two civs go to war. An aggressor will be able to take territory by invading and occupying for a sufficient time. However, he will only be able to take territory which he has some influence on already ie. some culture of his is on the tile. So he can't just make his territory as big as he likes but he's only likely to be fighting for territory that is close to him so this is not a great concern.

If the aggressor invades a tile which he does not own but has at least some cultural influence over, he will be given the option to absorb that tile into his territory. (I have not decided yet whether or not it should be a requirement that the tile be adjacent to the aggressor's territory.) To do this, there will be an action for the unit to choose. Something like "Absorb territory" or "Repossess land". Just like a worker takes a number of turns to complete a tile improvement, a military unit will take a number of turns occupying the tile before it flips. Stacking units and giving them the same order will speed up the process, just as it does with workers. You might already have guessed where I'm going with this. Well, the number of turns it will take to absorb the territory will depend on both the tile culture of the occupying civ and the civ who owns the tile. Exactly what this dependency will be is something that will need to be given careful thought. But as an example, stealing territory from a civ who has a stronger influence on the tile may take 10 turns, but then it may only take the owner 1 or 2 turns to get it back when the invader is removed. Of course, this dependency on both the civ's cultures need not (and probably should not) be linear.
I would allow the occupying unit/s to fortify on the tile, while they work on repossessing it. So perhaps the "Absorb territory" action should be removed and the action made automatic instead, like how naval units in Civ4 automatically blockade cities and force citizens off working water tiles. A coloured number (inside some fancy graphic) could hover over the tile to indicate the number of turns it will take for the flip. However, with the automatic method, it would be confusing how this number would change as units moved off of the tile so even better would be 2 numbers; one being the raw number of unit-turns remaining, and the other being the effective number of turns remaining given the number of units present ie. (raw#turns)/(#units).

But why should you need to invade to get the land? Wouldn't it be nicer to just ask the owner nicely? ... Well yes, and now you can.
In the following let's assume the two bordering nations are lead by Bismark and Napolean. Suppose Bismarck wants some of the land that Napolean controls, but he does not want to go to war and invade. If he has some cultural influence over the land in question, he may enter negotiations with Napolean regarding ownership of the land. He must highlight the land he wants to claim. If Bismarck is the human player, this would be done at the interface (something which obviously isn't in Civ4 at the moment) by highlighting the land by physically mousing over it, or perhaps by drawing the new border-line if there is a lot of land. Other things can be put on the table, to make the deal fair. Napolean might ask, for example, that he be given 100 gold in return. If an agreement is reached, the territory would change hands, and if they didn't have an open border agreement, any units now in foreign territory will be moved out. That is all there is to the diplomatic method. So we are now almost done describing the new system entirely.

Essentially, diplomacy and military occupation are the two methods one uses to claim contested territory.

Now for a technicality...

One thing left is to describe how cities change hands. This is in a box because it is not really important but it needs mentioning nonetheless.

Suppose a city has been successfully captured by an attacker from a defender. First the city is given to the successful attacker and set to radius 1 (or whatever its maximum radius has been under previous ownership by the capturing civ ie. there's a dependence on the history of the city if it was previously owned by the attacking civ).
Now consider each tile that was inside the radius of the city and owned by the defender, before the defender lost it.
Each tile is distributed as follows:
1) If the tile is inside the radius of any of the defender's cities, the defender keeps it.
2) If the tile is not inside the radius of ANY cities, then it becomes neutral.
3) If the tile is not inside the radius of any of the defender's cities and it is inside the radius of one of the attacker's cities, then the attacking civ who has the highest culture on the tile gets it.
4) If the tile is not inside the radius of any of the defender's cities and is also outside the radius of all the attacker cities and has culture from a third party civ, then the third party civ with the highest culture on the tile gets it.

In one of the posts below I put an example (using pictures) of how territory changes hands.

An extra rule should be necessary for while the city is in resistance. This still needs more thought. I'd need to study the current culture model for the capture of cities before I can make this more precise.

Under these rules, you would still not be able to use military conquest of civA to push into the borders of civ B. Its benefit is that territory that may be of use to the attacker goes to the attacker even if outside the attacker's current cultural influence, while the rest goes to civ B.

I realise the rules on when cities change hands are imprecise as I've stated them, since this is where I'm most confused how borders should work. I suspect it will be the hardest thing to set down for this system.

Conclusion

The system I have proposed would be very similar to Civ4's for the first part of the game, when the civs do not experience much culture overlap. But as the civs attempt to expand into more land, they start to realise the world is a crowded place and they'll have to trade, bully or fight for more land.

Reiterating what I said earlier, the whole premise of this system is that ownership of a tile will be taken away only if you allow it or it is forcefully taken from you. It's that simple.

The system will make the change of borders more significant, unlike the hard-to-control and sort of random flow of culture borders in Civ4. No longer can civs who are supposed "friends" steal your territory and leave it up to you to declare war to take it back. This was always unfair in Civ4.

You can get tensions between nations who for some reason will not go to war. If I want your territory and you won't give it to me peacefully, then you can ask of me, "What are you gonna do about it, huh?" I could declare war on you to show you how serious I am. Maybe then you'll hand over the territory for peace because you don't want to lose even more. If not, we'll settle the dispute with our fists!

Page 3

AI Difficulties?

I don't believe it would be all that difficult for AIs to cope with such a system. This is an important consideration for implementation in a Civ game because if the AIs can't handle a game mechanic properly it feels wrong to utilise it as the human player. The bigger problem is the change in the interface for the human player, making it difficult (I suspect impossible) for a Civ4 mod. But please feel welcome to prove me wrong there.

An Aside - Ideas that could work well with this system

Note: Now that it has been revealed that in BtS, colonies and forts have been reworked/added, I will hold back on these ideas for the moment. For those interested they are still here if you want to look, but it may be they'll be obsolete now.

-FORTS:
Spoiler:
Forts would have a maximum culture radius of 1 tile. A fort would apply 1CPT (culture points per turn) onto the tile and the 8 surrounding tiles. So cities will have more influence on land than forts, but forts will not be completely culture-lacking. Forts could be built only in the owner's territory or neutral lands, and only on tiles with no jungle or forest. In either case, remember that ownership of a tile will not flip due to culture alone so a fort will not be destroyed or repossessed if another civ then builds a city or fort nearby. Forts could be built on the same tile as a colony (see below) or any other tile improvement. They would give 50% defense to units on the same tile. It would take 20 worker-turns to build, and would only be available after construction. If a fort is captured it will not flip any tiles to the nation of the capturer. The capturer will however get the defensive benefit of the fort. To own the land under the fort, the capturer must go through the usual method of claiming territory. That is, he must hold the tile for a certain number of turns. Then he will own the fort and start pouring culture onto the surrounding tiles. Note the surrounding tiles will not become his unless he claims them too. If a civ's fort is captured or destroyed (through pillaging), then a similar thing will happen as when a city is taken. The surrounding tiles that do not lie inside the radius of any other of the civ's forts or cities will be lost to the capturer.

-COLONIES:
Spoiler:
A colony could be built on a resource tile, like in Civ3 (I think). This colony would not produce ANY culture. The tile alone will be owned by the civ who built it. A colony can only be built in neutral land and only on a resource. A colony would take 10 worker-turns to build plus whatever it usually takes to build the resource-specific improvement and a road (alternative: consumes the worker), and would be available to workers very early, perhaps even from the game start or with a starting tech. A fort could be built on top of a colony to help protect it. A colony will not change ownership or automatically be destroyed if it is captured. As with the fort, to claim the colony, the attacker must hold the tile for the necessary number of turns. However remember that enemy occupation of a tile removes ones ability to use the resource, and since the fort produces no culture the number of turns needed to flip will usually be small - probably only one. In a way, a colony is a bit like a tiny blob of territory (not culture) you can throw out in the middle of nowhere. It's equivalent to having a worker spend 10 turns (alternative: consuming a worker) to "claim" a piece of land, except that the land has to have a resource under it, and then building the resource-specific improvement with a road. Forts might appear to do everything a colony does and more, since it gives actual culture and a defensive bonus, but a fort does not automatically provide access to a resource - the resource improvement and road must still be built. Also, forts are more expensive and are available later than colonies.

Potential gameply issues:

If two nearby rival cities both have very high culture and so have a lot of culture overlap, and a third party civ comes along and captures one of the cities, then the remaining city will engulf the captured city (except for the 1 tile radius). If the civ who lost the city recaptured it, he would not get any of the territory that the engulfing civ just stole. He would only get back the 1 tile radius and any territory which the other city didn't have influence on. This is a serious problem as I don't think this would be fair. Perhaps it could be fixed by only allowing the engulfing civ to take territory that he had more culture on than the defending civ. That way at least the defending civ, when he retakes his city, gets back the tiles he at least deserves but he may have lost some of the tiles he previously owned which he didn't really deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I like the culture dynamic, it shows that your not playing a "Nation" with a border, but an actual culture group containing many nations within itself.

Personally I have no qualms with ignoring the distinction between civilization and nation for the sake of the game. I would not be bothered if borders were more like national borders than cultural borders, since they are pretty much used in that way already. If a culture can attack and capture another culture's city and then claim it to be its own, then I see no difference in the taking of land as well. In fact I'd argue the taking of land is more realistic than the taking of cities (and assimilation of the population) anyway.

Culture flips (of cities) might no longer exist or need some modification for the proposed system. I'd be happy to leave culture flips in. As far as I can imagine, they could be much the same as in Civ4.

The changes could perhaps make the game more military focused, which I know will divide a lot of people. This is hard to tell actually and more likely the game being more military or not will depend on other changes to the game that would take place in a mod or for Civ5. It could make the game less military as well, since you no longer have to go to war to take territory. It'd probably give more variety to games instead of making it more or less military focused. You'd still need to weigh the consequences of going to war should a civ refuse the territory you want. If you wanted a game with less bullying then you could play a lower difficulty (perhaps the Settler difficulty could have rivals never go to war with you over a territory dispute).

It could be argued culture will become a bit less important in the game. However I don't believe so. It is easier to take territory you have a large influence over, and you can only claim territory you have an influence over in the first place. I think its dependence on culture is sensible but still ample.

It's possible that this system is unfair on the little guy. By that I mean if you are weak militarily then it'll be easy for stronger nations to bully you into giving them your territory. But this is perfect! It means that you must build enough military to look after your empire! Failing that, you'll be relegated by your larger neighbours to a piece of land more your size. And besides, the only way your land can be taken from you without your permission is if the aggressor proves he is more worthy than you by storming through your lands unopposed while you cower in a hole somwhere!

Technical issues:

-Since the aggressor can only steal territory he has some influence over, it would be required that somehow the game interface would show that he has some culture on the tile. I should be able to see at a glance how far I could push my borders if I were to go to war. The current Civ4 interface at least shows ratio of civs' cultural influences on a tile when it is moused-over, and while this would suffice technically it would be nicer to be able to see more clearly the precise tiles which are contested without the mouse-over. The new mouse-over could specify how many turns it would take to absorb the tile if you were to invade.

General Discussion

I believe the dependency on culture for onwership of a tile is a nice way to stop empires expanding militarily indefinitely.

One thing I haven't spoken about yet is perhaps making certain arrangements automatically between peaceful neighbours. For example, if a peaceful rival civ owns some of the territory from the fat cross of one of my cities, and that territory is not inside the fat cross of any of their cities, it would be nice if they'd let me have the territory. I would prefer not to make it automatic, but it's an idea nonetheless.

Another idea to think about:
If you are trying to take territory (through occupation) which is inside the fat cross of one of your cities, perhaps the number of turns to take the tile should be 1 regardless of how much culture you have on the tile (as long as it is at least nonzero).

Contributions

Culture should determine border up to a certain point, maybe until the discovery of "nationhood", upon which point, a combination of military occupation, culture and diplomacy should determine border.
I think this'd be a good idea. Before the discovery of nationalism, you wouldn't be able to control your empire as a state in itself. Your borders would still depend on culture as it does in Civ4. But after nationalism, borders will become much more permanent and meaningful. It has the benefit of adding a bit more value to the Nationalism tech and I think it'd help to make the mid to late game a bit more interesting. It'd do more for the game than, say, the UN.

Something I remember from Birth of the Federation. You could get certain squares to be "disputed territory" where both your ownership colour overlapped. Could bring in a nice addition to diplomacy where you can offer to cede disputed territories. Kashimir anyone?

You make are trying to make this border thing a wee bit tad too complicated arent you for the game programmers

Well hey, prefer that than the tedium of 'promotions. :lol:

You make are trying to make this border thing a wee bit tad too complicated arent you for the game programmers

Well no, I don't think it's all that complicated at all. The detail I went into about how cities change hands was a bit waffly but only because it already is pretty complicated in Civ4 (I chucked it into a quote box because it's not really part of the main idea I want to discuss). I still want to adhere to the old principle, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I don't want to fiddle too much. The "not broke" bit I'm talking about is city captures - not borders in general - mind you.

Anyway, if you were to implement negotiable/militarily enforcable borders, then I think this is the simplest and sensiblest :crazyeye: way.

But in one sense I do agree, this is going to be a tad too complicated for the Civ4 modders, which is why I suspect it'll never happen for Civ4. It'd require changing the tile ownership depending solely on culture, as well as massive changes to diplomacy and AI. However, if any of the suggestions in this could serve to inspire a modder I'd be happy. But yeah, I don't expect to see anything like this till Civ5.

What about the idea do you think is too complicated? You're not being influenced by the length and waffliness of my post are you? Do you have any suggestions for something not so radical that might be possible for a Civ4 mod? In any case I'd like for people to give ideas.

I agree dude, 101%, I go over this in about 1000 times less details in my ideas for Civ5, have a look and let me know what you think. I dont think anyone likes the present system after the early game. I dislike how war is strictly an excersie in capturing cities at the moment.

Before Civ 4 was released I was reading about culture borders... and wasn't very excited. Beta testers were saying things like "I didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me and now I love it"... I figured I would too... I was dubious but gave it a fair shake and now I despise it. I really feel it makes the game less fun. Either you get bowled over, or you expand into someone else. Even when you don't and your borders stay in about the same spot, you take civA's city near civB's border and BLAM it's engulfed.. or even civA's culture beats on it forever. It's not fun in any way for me.

I think the basic concept of what you are suggesting is what should be done in civ 5. Tile ownership, not lame wavy cultural borders. Ownership should change through political methods (trade, peace treaty concession), or brute force (taking cities, other?)

The only thing I don't really like about how you have presented it would be the change of ownership during battle. I don't like the absorption of a tile by simply working it during wartime. I picture too much micromanagement and feel this might irritating quickly (Civ 3 pollution clean up times 5 comes to mind)

The way I imagine that this would be fun, is you could stake a claim on a tile (during war or peace) either by just simply right click and select stake claim, or by sending some kind of diplomat there to stake a claim. Then you could demand or trade land in peace time, as well as include it as part of a peace treaty.

Taking land by force would be through conquering cities. Maybe some other good ideas on forceful acquisition exist but i can't think of any. I'm thinking basically you take a city like normal, and when it expands it will own those tiles if not already owned by another city - it will take those tiles from another civ if they are not workable by that civ.

The AI would take some work to get the right balance between giving up land and going to war over it. Also, being able to have variable length peace treaties would be nice too... you could attack and take what you want, then offer a treaty which claimed tiles and they could respond and say sure, but we want 50 turns of peace for all that land! Also in peace time it would be nice to have a option to demand some tiles, or war will be declared. this way the AI knows you are serious. You either get the tiles or automatically declare war (although this would be a nice option for anything. Give me your spare coal, or I am attacking NOW)

This type of thing would be pretty simple. I've been programming for 20 years and I can safely say it could be done relatively easily.

Thanks for the suggestions dfi666. I agree about the tile repossession during war time thing. As I was thinking up the idea I thought it sounded a bit MM'y. But I didn't really have anymore ideas. Your idea of flagging could work for just taking cities, but it'd be nice if there's a way to get territory through war without taking cities too. The system I've proposed is a starting point from where improvements can be made upon. So I welcome your suggestions. Heck I'd be happy if you wrote up your idea and we used that instead. I just want to see people care about this issue because I think it's the most important thing Civ is lacking in, bar diplomacy but this is sort of related anyway. I'd even be happy to have borders only negotiable at peace, and war-time borders more dependent on culture, as someone else suggested somewhere. When I get time next, I'll re-write some of the stuff. I'll do my best to shorten it a bit too so people will actually bother to read it.

EDIT Ok, I've hidden the article for the moment while I revise it a bit.

If you look at 'cultural wars' as a form of abstract border, look at it like this;

If one country has such a dominant culture, they 'annex' another city or territory, not neccesarily through negotiation of borders or even as officially part of their country on maps, but simply de-facto. The culture of this other province has so embraced their parent culture, that for all intents and purposes they are now part of the dominant culture.

I would love to give many, many examples of this has happened in the past, but then I run the risk of people saying "Wait a second, I am from that group and we are different (in mildly trivial ways) from our different from the dominant culture." Trivial differences don't change the fact that this territory is now basically part of the dominant cultures power base.

So whether its how we have amercanized, britishized, Germanized, some other culture, when enough people from that goverment identify with the parent culture, or the parent culture simply has enough people in power/owning land over there, the new territory is de-facto part of your nation even if its called a seperate state. (Puerto Rico, I am looking at you).

Okay, I said I wouldn't give examples. Sorry about that.

The only thing I don't really like about how you have presented it would be the change of ownership during battle. I don't like the absorption of a tile by simply working it during wartime. I picture too much micromanagement and feel this might irritating quickly (Civ 3 pollution clean up times 5 comes to mind)

I forgot to mention earlier...

The MM might not be an issue because remember you can still take territory by actual city captures. It would only be if there were particular tiles important to you eg. in the fat cross of an important city, or a resource tile. These would be the tiles that would be fought over. You wouldn't go and try capturing irrelevant tiles for the very reason that they're irrelevant. Do you see what I'm saying? Can you imagine the fun of having a massive on-the-field battle over a critical oil resource - the person who could hold the tile would get to hold the territory. What I like about this is that it'd bring some more action onto the field, out of the cities. At the moment in Civ4 the only meaningful battles are between invading stacks and cities, with the occasional skirmishes due to pillaging nuisances. This is very boring IMO. I can't speak much for multiplayer though.

I didn't mention this possibility in the article, but upon capturing a city off an enemy, rather than letting the enemy keep the territory that's still inside its city radii, you could have the newly captured city steal a certain amount of the territory making the city capture significant and more worthwhile for the attacker.

I like your idea but after what I've just written can you see how this might also be a nice idea?

If you look at 'cultural wars' as a form of abstract border, look at it like this;
You can justify it and why it is like that. That is the original justification I heard before the game came out.

It's still not fun for me in any way. it detracts from the game.

If one country has such a dominant culture, they 'annex' another city or territory, not neccesarily through negotiation of borders or even as officially part of their country on maps, but simply de-facto. The culture of this other province has so embraced their parent culture, that for all intents and purposes they are now part of the dominant culture.

I would love to give many, many examples of this has happened in the past, but then I run the risk of people saying "Wait a second, I am from that group and we are different (in mildly trivial ways) from our different from the dominant culture." Trivial differences don't change the fact that this territory is now basically part of the dominant cultures power base.

So whether its how we have amercanized, britishized, Germanized, some other culture, when enough people from that goverment identify with the parent culture, or the parent culture simply has enough people in power/owning land over there, the new territory is de-facto part of your nation even if its called a seperate state. (Puerto Rico, I am looking at you).

Okay, I said I wouldn't give examples. Sorry about that.

I understand the issue you raised Kaenash, and I agree that the in-game culture has an interpretation like that. But especially in the second half of the game, the way the game has you manage your empire, you behave more as if you're leading a state rather than a culture group. I did mention this in the article under Potential Gameplay Issues, if I may quote myself:

PieceOfMind said:
Personally I have no qualms with ignoring the distinction between civilization and nation for the sake of the game. I would not be bothered if borders were more like national borders than cultural borders, since they are pretty much used in that way already. If a culture can attack and capture another culture's city and then claim it to be its own, then I see no difference in the taking of land as well. In fact I'd argue the taking of land is more realistic than the taking of cities (and assimilation of the population) anyway.

It's my opinion that having borders not depend only on culture would do more for the gameplay than sticking to the interpretation you gave. Mind you, I really like the suggestion that these borders only be negotiable etc. after Nationalism. Before Nationalism, they'd work much like they do in Civ4, with the possible exception of having the "finders keepers" rule too for claiming territory ie. no culture flips of tiles.

Ok. The article content has been revised and the old article thrown inside a spoiler box in the third post.

Back to borders... if we could just keep the ideas rolling... :)

Top Bottom