[Development Thread] Fictionalization IV

cfkane

Emperor

Download

For more up-to date info check out our page at CivJunction

This mod, in the styles and tradition of Phillip Jose Farmer, Alan Moore, Robert Heinlein and many others, is based on the world of fiction. Drawing on mythology, folklore, literature and pop culture, Fictionalization IV takes human imagination’s fragments of stories and makes them into a single universe. Some of the characters in this mod, like Firefly and Hynkell, come from film, others like Charmant and Froshkonig, come from fairytale. Still others, like El Cid and Ivan are real, but still hold strong places in national legend. And if you have a favorite film, novel, comic, play, TV show or anything else you can think of that I haven’t represented in the list below, I’ll try my best to work it into the mod somehow.

Features:

All Civilization have new leaders, as well as special hero units. Each has three Heroes which operate like Wonders: special units with battlefield prowess and/or special bonuses. Civs also have special Legendary Units: special National units that are weaker than Heroes, but still give their own bonuses etc.

The mod will also have new great people names, wonders, projects, corporations, three new religions, and new events.

So Far:

New religions, corporations, civs, and leaders are all in place. A handful of the heroes and wonders are completed, and those that aren't finished are because the effects that I want aren't doable given my limited ability with SDK and python. If you're a decent programmer, I'd love the help.

Old Civilizations

America

Arabia
Spoiler :

Aztecs
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Huitzilopochtli

Celtia
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Macbeth

Lear

China
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Huangdi

Wu Quingha

Egypt
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Ozymandias

Ra

England
Spoiler :

France
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Charmant

Louis

Germany
Spoiler :

Greeks
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Agamemnon

Oedipus

India
Spoiler :

Leader:

Raghava Rama

Japanese
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Yamato Takeru

Mali
Spoiler :

Leader:

Chibinda Ilunga

Native America
Spoiler :

Leader:

Hiawatha

[

Persia
Spoiler :

Rome
Spoiler :

Russia

Spain
Spoiler :

Leader:

El Cid

Sumeria
Spoiler :

Leader:

Gilgamesh

Vikings
Spoiler :

Leader:

Beowulf

Zulu
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Jaffe Joffer

New Civilizations

Atlanteans
Spoiler :

Leader:

Arthur Curry

Unique Unit:

Polyreme (Trireme)

Unique Building:

Orichalcum Treasury (Bank)

Freedo-Moronika
Spoiler :

Leaders:

Rufus T. Firefly

Moe Hailstone

Victor Von Doom

Unique Unit:

Marxist (Infantry)

Unique Building:

Opera House (Theatre)

Hyborea
Spoiler :

Leader:

Conan

Unique Unit:

Cimmerian Warrior (Spearman)

Unique Building:

Mitraic Temple (University)

Shambhala
Spoiler :

Leader:

Suchandra

Unique Unit:

Dob Dob (Swordsman)

Unique Building:

Gompa (University)

Transylvania
Spoiler :

Leader:

Vlad Dracul

Unique Unit

Nosferatu (Spy)

Unique Building

Sanctuary (Castle)

Heroes (definite entries in bold, others still in planning stages)
Spoiler :
Achilles
Allan Quartermain
Anansi

Asterix
Benkei
Beowulf
Captain America
Coyote
Cu Cullain
D'Artangnan
Don Quixote
Elric of Melnibone
Enkidu
Fu Manchu
Goku
Heracles
Horatio Hornblower
Ilya Muromets
Imhotep
James Bond
John Henry
Krishna

Mr. Lee
Manjushrikirti
Merlin
Miles Gloriosus
Namor
Natty Bumppo
Odysseus
Popocatepetl
Robin Hood
Roland
Sherlock Holmes
Siegfried
Sindbad
Son Wukong
Superman
Tarzan
T'Challa
The Creature (Frankenstein)
The Nautilus
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Utnapishtim
Valeria
Victor von Doom

Wonders

Projects

Corporations

Religions

I think it's a fantastic idea. :D Adding an element of fiction into Civ would be a nice break from more "serious" mods out there, creating opportunities for innovation and humor.

One question: would you take the existing civs in the game (like England) or make new ones entirely? It might be funnier to have Moe Hailstone as dictator of Moronika instead of Germany (similarly with Adenoid Hynkel). Either way it looks to be a great mod.

Thanks!

I think it would work better if most of the civilizations were kept, with different leaders representing different governments throughout its history - which is why I listed Big Brother as an English leader instead of the leader of Oceania as a separate civilization. It might be a bit too complicated to write up about five dozen minor countries with their own leader, UU, UB, etc.

Although they could be represented by Barbarian states or minor nations; something like that. That way you could work in interesting but poorly documented fictional countries like Freedonia (from Duck Soup) or Q'umar (from The West Wing), or even the various islands from Gulliver's Travels.

You could easily keep civilizations that already exist in-game that have rich cultural history, like America, England, China, India, Egypt, Greece, and so on (Carthage, Portugal and Mongolia might miss out). And at the same time you could replace some civs with fictional ones that have rich background info. Moronika might be tough to flesh out, but Cimmeria under Conan the Barbarian might be interesting to do, or even Atlantis, which could be a combination of various depictions of the continent in the media.

But there are really few limits with what you can do. You could add fictional religions (the cult of Ayesha, Cthulhu worship, The Church of All Worlds) fictional corporations (Acme, Rearden Steel), wonders (The Diogenes Club, Camelot, the Tower of Babel) or projects (The Voyage to the Moon, The Torchwood Institute).

I've been thinking about this way too much, haven't I?

Not at all... this is how a mod starts.

i can't wait to see this done, should you do it...

good luck

I think I've figured out how to do Moronika and all the other tiny, silly nations of central and eastern Europe.

I initially didn't think it would work because a fictional state like Moronika is usually only meant to be a one-shot gag; a stand-in for the general political situation of the times. Sure, there's the name, but there's very little behind it.

So, I've added a new Civ: The Freedo-Moronikan Empire. Like the historical Austro-Hungarian Empire, it's made up of many different nations with very different backgrounds and ruled by a joint dictatorship run by the Moronikans (from The Stooges) and the Freedonians (from the Marx Brother's movie Duck Soup). This way I can cram in all those other tiny city-states and one-shots just by the city names: Vulgaria, Latveria, and so on.

Positively brilliant. :D

"And for taking pictures in Vulgaria, you are sentenced to be shot!"

I suppose you'll have to use static leaderheads for the mod, since that's really the only way to remain true to the inspirations without having to do a lot of extra (in fact, virtually impossible) work animating them. I don't think that'll matter, though.

Wow, this really is a great idea. Here's a few suggestions of the top of my head (I'll probably think some more up soon):
Blackadder as a possible leader or hero for England and Apocalypse (Marvel Comics) as a leader for Egypt.

Also, wasn't Harun al-Rashid a real person? I understand Gilgamesh is semi-legendary, but...

You could always use Enkidu instead of Gilgamesh if that became a problem. Surely there was not really a wild man made by the gods like that... :)

Okey, here's some suggestions for Great People, some of them may be over-the-top or somewhat ridiculous but you may find some useful.

Spoiler :

Artists: Isaac Mendez, Chris Griffin, Peter Parker (well... he's a photographer)

Engineers: Reginald Barclay, Willy Wonka, Wallace (Wallace & Gromit), Q, Brainiac, Donatello (TMNT), Ratchet, Dexter (Dexter's Lab), Robotnik/Eggman

Generals: Mace Windu, Darth Vader, Witch-King, Sauron, Fa Mulan, Buffy Summers, Bill Adama, Xena, Optimus Prime?

Merchants: Santa Claus, Han Solo, Jabba the Hutt, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Emma Frost,

Prophets: Gandalf, Saruman, Albus Dumbledore, Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Darth Sidious, Ned Flanders, Timothy Lovejoy, Silas, Kurt Wagner, Magneto (he sees himself as a Messiah), Zelda, Jafar

Scientists: Victor Frankenstein, Bruce Banner, Hank McCoy, Emmett Brown ("Doc" from Back to the Future), Susan Calvin, Gaius Baltar, Doctor Who, Bulma Briefs, Zoidberg, Ross Gellar

Spies: Austin Powers, Bobba Fett, Naruto Uzumaki, Sam Fisher, Solid Snake, Sydney Bristow (Alias), Severus Snape, Johnny English (perhaps an English hero unit), Mystique, Alex Rider

Wow, this really is a great idea. Here's a few suggestions of the top of my head (I'll probably think some more up soon):
Blackadder as a possible leader or hero for England and Apocalypse (Marvel Comics) as a leader for Egypt.

Also, wasn't Harun al-Rashid a real person? I understand Gilgamesh is semi-legendary, but...

Well, you're right. Haroun al-Raschid was a real Caliph, but I thought I could use him as Arabia's leader because I think Arabia in this mod will be heavily based on the 1001 Arabian Nights, which in turn was inspired by Raschid's Bagdad. Fiction is always based on fact, which is inspired by fiction.

And I like some of your suggestions on Great People, but I think some of them wouldn't work, and here's why.

This mod is basically taking our own world and looking at it through the prism of fiction. So if fiction says that Apu Nahasapeemapetilon runs a one-stop-shop in a backwater town, he does in this mod. So, you can't really call him a "great" merchant (although come to think of it, Mr. Burns might make a good addition). I also couldn't use anything from Star Wars, Star Trek or Lord of the Rings either; the Star Wars characters live in another galaxy, the LOTR characters live in another dimension, and the Trek guys haven't been born yet - since the game always ends in 2050.

But still, those are some good ideas.

For some reason I like the idea of a Conan civ. :D

Top Bottom