Dutch translation Civ V

martinbc

Chieftain
Attached is a translation of Civilization V in the Dutch language.
It is suited for version 1.0.1. of Civ V (December 15 2010).
I have translated (allmost) all in game text, but only a very small part of the Civilopedia and advisor text.

Attachments

• EN_US_1.0.1.zip
    591 KB · Views: 614
Welcome fellow newbie modder :)

The translation is very natural, nice job! I usually download localized versions of software, so this is interesting. I don't play vanilla though.

One remark: your files are supposed to replace the English ones, but this is not necessary. I don't know the exact details but I'm sure you can make a separate folder for a new language. There is even a fallback system that takes the English version of a file if none is available in the new language (iirc).

Thanks for your compliment! About your remark: I clouldn't find another way. Civ V even hasn't an option in the menu to choose a different language (as Civ IV had). Also the thread about the Finnish translation didn't give me a solution (but may be I did not read it well). An alternative is making a mod, but then you can't play other mods in another language.

Good points. Maybe an SQL mod tool that takes all updates of English text fields and copies them to other available languages could work. In the meantime what you did I agree is best.

Attached is an update of my Dutch translation (version 1.0.1.221, March 29 2011)

Attachments

• EN_US_221.zip
    548.1 KB · Views: 150
martinbc: nice to see other translators :)

The translation packs have been made a bit cumbersome. My earlier method (which involved a few files at ...My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Text) did a simple replace of English in the database. It was very easy for the end user, just extract the files and it worked. However one of the latest patches (I guess around December) changed things so that any changes that I made to those language files didn't reflect into the game directly. Only way to get it working was to delete the localization SQL files from the cache folder. Too much trouble!

The preferred Firaxis way for localization pack is to add a new language into the database and then fill the strings as required. They also recommend a single XML file. So this is how I do it now. The downside is that user needs to edit config.ini in addition to extracting the files to the right place. This also enables what Moriboe said, a fallback happens to English for those strings that are not included in the XML file.

This may help a little if you're interested in using the Firaxis preferred way.

Nice method. But it seems to me that updating this XML file after patches demands more effort. We'll see at CIV VI...

Depends. I've kept backups of the original English language files between versions, which allows me to do comparisons for differences (using WinMerge). Checking those out is rather straightforward. Another thing that I could do to find out outdated strings (instead of WinMerge) is to generate an old English table into the database and then do a cross SQL call that returns me those translated strings which English version has changed from original to current. Just slightly more advanced, but less scrolling with mouse :)

The best thing is that what you've translated already is easy to separate from what hasn't been translated yet. Just with some simple SQL you can find it out (I use the SQLite Manager extension for Firefox to do this). I save the untranslated query result as a CSV, open it in OpenOffice Calc, translate there, and then copy'n'paste the final stuff to XML editor (in my case Oxygen, which has a nice grid view).

What I think Firaxis could do better is to get their documentation right. There is localization syntax page in the wiki that simply makes no sense to me (atleast any of the "would be useful" stuff). I would like to "hack" genders to use full word variants of them for Finnish noun cases so that I could have better language in some parts of the game. This far I haven't figured out what the syntax is.

Attached is an update for version 332. I fixed a few errors, esp. in Social Policies translations.

Attachments

• EN_US_332_update.zip
    537.4 KB · Views: 269
Still an error in 'Social Policies'. The attached file (unzip it in your EN_US folder) fixes it.
This supposes that you have copied EN_US_332_update.zip already.

Attachments

• CIV5GameTextInfos_Jon.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi Martin just a quick thank you for all the hard work. :goodjob: Downloading this from time to time and it still works great. Any chance on a translation of the G&K files too? I started translating the short stuff like units/civs for myself now cause half the game in english and the other in dutch is a bit annoying but there is just too much lines to translate. So if you have done these too can you give these for us too?

PS: Iroquois is a native american tribe (Indianenstam in dutch) and has nothing to do with Iraq like you translated them :)

I'll translate G&K this or next week, but only the in game text. I don't play scenario's, so I will not translate them (it is also a lot of work...).

P.S. Iroquois :confused:

The Iroquois are one of the playable civilizations, just like Germany and America for example. You translated them into Iraq a country in the middle east. While they are a native american tribe called the Iroquois in english. In dutch they are called de Irokezen!
Here is the wiki link in Dutch:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irokezen
It's strange to see a Hiawatha, as their leader (clearly a native american), welcoming you to the Iraqi Empire. :eek::lol:

And thank you in advance for making the Dutch translation of the G & K files. I dont need the scenario's to be translated, since I only play those on a rare occasion anyway. :)

Attached is the translation of version 1.0.2.21, the major patch/upgrade of Civ V in november 2012. It is my second upload of this version; the previous one had some little errors.

If nothing unforseen happens, I will also post my (partial) translation of 'God and Kings' this weekend.

Attachments

• EN_US_2_21_v2.zip
    597.5 KB · Views: 323
Top Bottom