How I beat the Mongol Scenario on Deity

!!!!

Cannon in India? Yeah, that's not typical in my games, although I suppose it's possible if you're first hitting India at turn 45 or so.

The biggest problems I have with India are the mounted units the AI loves to keep out of visual range that one shot my Keshiks.

Maybe I'm lucky though...I don't remember seeing that many Cannon when I did this on Deity. There might have been a few in Byzantium and/or Arabia, but not enough to make me complain about them.

Even so, I don't worry too much about siege weaponry like Cannon. My Keshiks can usually get out of the attack range of a siege weapon quite easily...certainly easier than it is to get out of the attack range of a mounted unit, ha.

It must have been a fluke. I think India had gotten lucky with research agreements and the Porcelain Tower. Or *something*. Also, probably had some Wonders that made them harder to kill. It was taking like 3 or 4 *fully upgraded* Keshik to kill one cannon.

Anyway, moot now. I just finally beat it on Deity. (Turn 98, but it counts yay!)

On this run, I didn't get to India until turn 60, and Gandhi was a pushover. So, go figure!

My trek was pretty much like one of igg's, based on the three army idea, except I ignored Japan until the end.

Fleece Jin then DoW him turn 1.
Cap Uighur immediately with first army.
Build Horsemen and upgrade.
Fleece Persia, then Dow him and cap Almaty with first army.
Start attacking Persia while the second army is forming up.
Fleece Wu, then Dow him and cap W Xia with second army.
Persia gives me two cities and two luxuries to relent after Samarkand.
First army goes after Catherine while the second army goes after Jin.
Newly built third army goes back to finish off Persia.
(Throughout this, I was periodically offered treaties which I occasionally took if I was too busy to attack)
After Catherine, first army takes out Byzantium. Both were easy, although indirect fire and range are key for coming at Byzantium the back way.
2nd army finishes off Jin, and starts on Wu.
When Persia falls, third army takes out India from the backside.
When Wu falls, 2nd army caps Korea and takes out Japan.
First and third army gang up on Arabia from both sides.
My second army was assisted in Japan by a purchased/upgraded fleet of Frigates.

I made a ton of mistakes, including misclicks resulting in heavily upgraded keshiks dying, but didn't reload. I got overzealous and mired in -25 happiness too, because I capped CS too aggressively. I bet I could have finished at least 20 turns earlier if I had been more careful about timing my kills. I also mistimed some free techs, which slowed down getting Lancers, which are pretty awesome at capping cities.

The keys to this scenario IMHO are
1) Capping the military CS and taking out Persia and Russia early. That early momentum you get by getting free keshik means you attack civs before they grow or tech up.
2) Doing Russia and Byzantium before attacking Arabia allows you to pincer attack.
3) In order to keep moving quickly, razing most cities and annexing those you don't is critical imho. I annexed to buy coliseums, limit growth, etc. I also pillaged farms and used workers to replace them with something else to limit growth when I didn't annex.

Also, I learned something new in this playthrough. You can sell buildings in cities you're razing. Who knew!

My biggest mistake was not annexing soon enough. I think it's just old habit to worry about long-term cultural loss, but in this scenario, it's better to annex and buy that happiness.

Oh, early on I got open borders and built a road to India from the north thinking I was going to attack from 3 sides, but I never did. However, the ironic/awesome part about that is that eventually Gandhi hated me so much he built an army and used my road to move a ton of troops down the silk road to me. That pretty much handed me the game, because keshiks on roads in neutral territory are ridiculously powerful. My Wu army paused momentarily to wipe out India's entire attack force, and meanwhile the group that had just killed Persia was coming at them from the southwest. There was very little resistance when they got there. :)

However, I was *really* running behind because of many turns of unhappiness and all the stupid keshik deaths, so I literally didn't attack Arabia and Japan until turn 90!! Seriously!

I had to cap all of Arabia and a few CS in < 10 turns. I pulled it off by rush-buying lancers and basically ignoring troops, and always puppeting. I didn't have time to wait for unhappiness from razing to die down. By ignoring the troops, focusing on the city and clearing a path for a lancer, I could clean up the surrounding army inside my Great Wall afterwards when they were basically helpless. So, I was capping one or two cities each turn in Arabia. Crazy.

I think it helped that Arabia was a wonder-collector. I'm pretty sure I was getting happiness Wonders from the captures. The gold from the maritime CS bought my last frigates and lancers. I think I took 8 cities in 8 turns without going below -10 happiness, which is kind of crazy. The fact that they all had trade routes to my capital really helped though.

Oh, one last thing. Khans make great spotters. You need 2 of your keshik's 5 moves to attack. The khan though, only needs to move, so he can move farther in to sight for them. I also used my armory-produced scouts to sight. That extra vision comes in handy!

I glad that win is finally over! Now back to the deity level Wonders of the Ancient World that I got frustrated with and lead me to switch scenarios and play this one.

mintcandy and iggymnrr thanks again and any good pointers for that scenario on deity?
Congrats. To beat the WotAW scenario on deity requires only 3-4 wonders. Pick the ones you have a chance to finish. Inland Sea may be easier for the coastal wonders. On any other level, settler through immortal, it is possible for a person to build all 9 wonders.
It must have been a fluke. I think India had gotten lucky with research agreements and the Porcelain Tower. Or *something*. Also, probably had some Wonders that made them harder to kill. It was taking like 3 or 4 *fully upgraded* Keshik to kill one cannon.

Anyway, moot now. I just finally beat it on Deity. (Turn 98, but it counts yay!)
Congrats. Cannons aren't really a problem but there may be a couple of them lurking.

It was taking like 3 or 4 *fully upgraded* Keshik to kill one cannon.

I know it's kind of a moot point, but it would have been more effective to use 1 Keshik to soften up the Cannon, and a nearby Horseman to finish it off.

I also have beaten the mongol scenario on deity. It took me 74 turns.

2012-12-12_00001.jpg

2012-12-12_00002.jpg

2012-12-12_00003.jpg

2012-12-12_00004.jpg

I built a total of 3 conquering forces, each consisting of 5 Keshiks and 1 horseman:
army 1 consists of what you initially get + one horseman built in capital
army 2 consists of what you get from Almaty and Western Xia + one horseman built in capital
army 3 is completely built in the capital

Detailed order of conquering + turn numbers
Turn | City conquered | Army #
4 | Uighur | 1
7 | Western Xia | 1
11 | Beijing | 1
14 | Liaoyang | 1
15 | Almaty | 2
20 | Korea | 1
20 | Samarkand | 2
24 | Kaifeng | 1
27 | Xian | 1
27 | Urgench | 2
31 | Xianyang | 1
31 | Nishapur | 2
34 | Chengdu | 1
34 | Isfahan | 2
36 | Tabriz | 2
37 | Tanzhou | 1
39 | Guangzhou | 1
39 | Georgia | 2
42 | Hangzhou | 1
42 | Aleppo | 2
44 | Damascus | 2
45 | Dali | 1
46 | Crusader States | 2
48 | Lhasa | 3
49 | Mecca | 2
52 | Varanasi | 1
52 | Cairo | 2
56 | Delhi | 1
58 | Lahore | 1
60 | Multan | 1
61 | Constantinople | 2
62 | Vladimir | 3
64 | Thessalonica | 2
67 | Dazaifu | 1
69 | Hungary | 2
70 | Kyoto | 1
72 | Kamakuro | 1
73 | Kiev | 2 + 3
74 | Novgorod | 2 + 3
(By the way, can you make a proper table in a post here?)

So, in short: Army one kills Uighur, Western Xia, Northern China, Southern China, India, and Japan. Army 2 Kills Almaty, Persia, Arabia, Byzantium, and part of Russia. Army 3 should have killed Russia completely, but was inexperienced and slow and needed help of army 2. Combined, army 2 and 3 killed the remains of Russia in just 2 turns.

Hints / tips:
  • Before playing the scenario on Deity, make sure that you know the map very well. I didn't on my first try, and I failed horribly...;)
  • Never make Keshiks directly, built horseman and upgrade them to Keshiks
  • Start with killing the city states in the neighbourhood: Uighur alows you to finish honor quickly, and Almaty and Western Xia give you 4 horseman (in total), which will become the main part of your second army.
  • Great mobility on roads is important for finishing quickly. Research / conquer research (you get a free tech for killing a civ) engineering (road bridges on rivers) and machinery (3 tiles movement on roads per movement point instead of the regular 2) asap
  • Let Keshiks do all the work / damage to units and cities. The horseman is just there to take cities when they have only one hp left. Even when your horseman has just one hp, it will always take the city when the city has only one hp left. Therefore, never spent time healing your horseman.
  • Annex Beijing asap (= when you have enough money to immediately build a courthouse) and use it as scout production factory for city garison happiness and culture. Also, buy asap a workshop in Beijing and use the engineer slot. This will give you a great Engineer around turn 50, which can be converted in for example the Notre Dame for 10 :c5happy: !!!
  • Social Policy order: full honor -> Liberty to meritocracy (+1:c5happy: for each trade route) -> Piety to organized religion -> whatever (took some commerce policies for invading Japan faster)
  • Happiness is a major issue in the scenario. However, using a combination of scout city garisons, Meritocracy, Organized religion, and by razing all crappy cities, it can be managed (= between 0 and -9 happiness while not razing a city)
  • Annex Hangzhou (south Chinese capital), build / buy a lot of tirimes (6 or so), research frigates and upgrade all tirimes to frigates (is cheaper than buying frigates right out of the gate). With the help of a large number of frigates, Japan can be killed in just a few turns. Without them...good luck:crazyeye:

I also have beaten the mongol scenario on deity. It took me 74 turns.

Hmmm...

Why were the Crusader States conquered? And Georgia? And Hungary?

By the time I got that far west, I had no need of anything their conquests would've provided.

Why was Dali conquered? It's so far off the silk road that it would have been a several turn chore just to get my Keshiks in position.

Hmmm...

Why were the Crusader States conquered? And Georgia? And Hungary?

By the time I got that far west, I had no need of anything their conquests would've provided.

Why was Dali conquered? It's so far off the silk road that it would have been a several turn chore just to get my Keshiks in position.

Arabia allied Crusader states and Georgia, so was at war with them when I attacked Arabia. Both were continuously making knights and pikes, which are both very dangerous for your keshiks. I killed them for safety (and fun). Hungary could have been skipped, killed them just for fun. :D

Dali lies on the jungle route from southern China to India (which I took). Since I was in permanent war with them, I had to kill them to gain passage rights...:rolleyes:

You don't really need to kill any CS at all in order to win. On the other hand, maybe in order to win in 74 turns you do. Impressive time. Nicely done! :)

Technically, you are completely right that you don't need to kill CS to win (you only need to kill all 8 major civs for that). However, practically, I doubt if it's possible to win the scenario (on Deity at least) without killing any of the CS. The main reason for that is the time restriction of 100 turns.

In order to kill all 8 civs within time, you need at least two keshik armies. Normally, you get the main part of your first army for free at the start of the scenario, and the main part of your second army comes from killing Almaty and Western Xia, which gives you a total of 4 horseman. That means the second army is ready on turn ~15. If you have to build the second army instead, your second army won't be ready before turn ~35. I doubt if that would give you enough time to finish, especially because it gives more time to the AI to tech, to build more walls and castles, and to build more units. In other words, your conquest will cost more time, and you don't have that time.

But perhaps it's a nice challenge for someone, to win the scenario on Deity without killing city states? :rolleyes:

But perhaps it's a nice challenge for someone, to win the scenario on Deity without killing city states? :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I don't think it's possible to win the Mongol scenario on Deity without conquering a City State with my current skill level.

Those Horseman units that you get from conquering Western Xia and Almaty are just too necessary for getting the ball rolling...I mean, I only had 5 or so turns to spare when I beat Deity.

For those that got sub 75 turn victories? I suppose it is within the realm of possibility.

Just completed it, at Diety, on turn 89 thanks to the help of the info I got from this thread. I'm probably repeating some things, but here are the important points.

1 - It is critical to get off to a fast start, to get two armies going as soon as possible. I did this as follows:

- I only touched the edge of Western Xia to get the gold, all my units headed for Uighur then Almaty. I did this to ensure that both China's would start fighting. I found that if I discovered the China's, they would sometimes not start their war. This initial army of 4 Keshiks and Horse did most of my fighting

- I chopped some horsemen, and with the horses from Almaty, I had my second army to take Western Xia. I did not declare on Western Xia, but China who was allied to it.

- Similarly I did not declare on Almaty but Persia who was allied with it. The only CS I ever declared on was Uighur.

2 - After taking Almaty, my first army took Samarkand while my second army was taking Western Xia. It was easy this early. After I took the city, Persia sued for peace giving me two cities.

3 - So by turn 13 or 14, I had Western Xia, Uighur, Almaty, Samarkand and two other Persia cities. This was one of my low happiness points (- 30 something), as all the Persia cities were being razed. This fast start is critical, the faster the start, the less armies the AI's have so the attacks go quicker, then since you are on to the next country quicker, they are also less developed, with fewer, lower tech armies and cities that are smaller, so your unhappiness is less. If you don't get off to a fast start, try again.

3 - My first army then went north and west to Russia while my second army took Beijing.

4 - First army -> Russia -> Byzantium -> Arabia -> finish Persia -> Help on India. As others have said, allying with Abbasids is critical. As I came from the west, many of Arabia's armies were fighting and dying in Abbasids.

5 - Second army - > The two China's -> Japan

6 - Third army was created as yellow China fell, it helped with green China then was heading west. Both Persia and India declared war by this time, and it fought off the attacking armies, then went into India.

7 - It is critical to send experienced units to Japan. They need range and indirect fire, and preferably be rough terrain specialized. Use your navy to spot while they destroy Japans units and cities from safety. Remember even a scout with 1 hit point left will take a city if its defenses are reduced, even if attacking from the sea.

8 - Use your Great Wall advantage. Some cities you may want to raze, but stop the razing when down to 1 population so you can use the hexes to control the AI's movement. Then when you are on to the next city, you can finish razing. Also, use your leaders and any captured workers to scout. I often placed captured workers to create lines of sight, and also as bait to pull units to them so I could destroy them.

I tried twice before I could beat it at Emperor, then 3 times for Deity. You need patience to get this at Deity, but with practice you can do it. Another time check point is turn 50. By then I had conquered both China's, Russia and Byzantium.

Just completed it, at Diety, on turn 89 thanks to the help of the info I got from this thread.

Congrats!

1 - It is critical to get off to a fast start, to get two armies going as soon as possible.

Agreed, and I like how you went into detail about what a "fast start with two armies going as soon as possible" really means.

I'm intrigued that Persia was your first target, not yellow China.

Why? Because it seems like Persia's always in a Golden Age, and their 3 move Pikemen and Immortals are brutal against my Keshiks. I prefer hitting yellow China first so that I will have the positive effects of Beijing's Great Wall ASAP...and since green China is so close, it's hard to resist hitting them before Persia.

Perhaps Persia is much softer at turn 6 than it is at turn 20+, ha.

I notice that your approach doesn't have the backtracking from Uighur to both Chinas that my approach typically does....which snowballs nicely into an early assault into faraway Russia.

Interesting...

4 - First army -> Russia -> Byzantium -> Arabia -> finish Persia -> Help on India. As others have said, allying with Abbasids is critical. As I came from the west, many of Arabia's armies were fighting and dying in Abbasids.

Interesting conquest order...hmm...

I didn't notice you mentioning it elsewhere, but allying the City State that borders both Persia and Arabia (I think it's the Abbasids) was a time saver for me.

I don't know if this alliance would help you that much though, because it doesn't seem like you attack Arabia from their east-southeast Persia facing border like I did.

It seems like you can hit Arabia quickly if you conquered Russia and Byzantium before Arabia.

:: shrugs ::

7 - It is critical to send experienced units to Japan. They need range and indirect fire, and preferably be rough terrain specialized. Use your navy to spot while they destroy Japans units and cities from safety. Remember even a scout with 1 hit point left will take a city if its defenses are reduced, even if attacking from the sea.

Yes. Highly promoted Keshiks are a must when taking on Japan. If the Keshiks assaulting the Japanese mainland aren't capable of killing AT least two Japanese land units a turn, the Japanese assault will most likely fail.

Another time check point is turn 50. By then I had conquered both China's, Russia and Byzantium.

Hmmm...on Deity, I tried to keep up a pace of killing off a civilization every 10 turns. It's pretty hard to maintain in the early game, but easy to attain in the late game, save for Japan. :p

All in all, this was an interesting strategy summation. Congrats on beating the scenario.

Perhaps Persia is much softer at turn 6 than it is at turn 20+, ha.

Yes I believe it was. While I was attacking Almaty, I was afraid that Persian units would attack along the road, never saw them. By the time I finished Almaty, they started showing up. But what worked for me was attacking Samarkand from the north, staying away from the road where they can rapidly move in for an attack. What units he had went down quickly as did Samarkand. Never saw pikes, only immortals.

Then the 4 turns or so it took me to get into position to attack Russia were needed anyway, to allow the razing of the cities to continue and the unhappiness to subside.

I'm intrigued that Persia was your first target, not yellow China.

Well, my first army was in Almaty, and I had to declare on Persia to take Almaty so it seemed the thing to do. My second army was only just forming as it took Western Xia. I think I started that fight with only 2 - 3 units, but it had lost some units in the two China war which must have occurred while I was heading west with my army. I agree that taking on Persia without the Great Wall was a gamble, but it payed off for me. Beijing was of course the first target of my second army after Western Xia was finished. Green China offered me peace, and I took it figuring that it would take me 10 turns to finish Yellow China (and Korea). Also gave me a chance to milk Green China again with trades just before declaring war.

One "disadvantage" of this fast initial attack is that I was low on money, as the AI's didn't have much to give me this early in the game. But I found out that I was always able to keep up with expenses with the money I got from kills.

Yes. Highly promoted Keshiks are a must when taking on Japan. If the Keshiks assaulting the Japanese mainland aren't capable of killing AT least two Japanese land units a turn, the Japanese assault will most likely fail.

I took all the Japanese Cities with an attack from the sea. The turn before you will reduce the city to minimum, you need to move an embarked melee unit in range which will mean it can be attacked. The same turn just make sure to leave a naval attack unit also in range, the city will attack that instead.

Thanks to many tips on this thread, I finally succeeded at this scenario on diety, on turn 81. Quite a fun scenario. One thing I wanted to add to the discussion is that you don't really have to worry about happiness after about turn 10. I maintained a couple of Keshiks on rear-guard duty, mainly in China, throughout the mid and end game, which was more than enough to fight off the rebellions that occurred every 2-4 turns, despite my 100+ unhappiness. I did not raze any cities, and only annexed a few, to shorten reinforcement supply lines. Really, the only one I needed in retrospect was the Green Chinese capitol to pump out naval units for the Japanese invasion. So a few after-action tips, leaving off ones that have been mentioned several times previously:

1. Persia is cake early. I pushed that way with my first army, and Samarkand and their capitol fell quickly, leading to a peace treaty giving me their other two cities without a fight.

2. Peace treaties are your friend. Far and away the Mongol's weakest area is taking cities. If you can get an enemy to capitulate and give you all the rest of their cities, usually after taking their capitol, it makes things go much quicker. I did this to Persia first off, finishing them off with a later army that came to hit India from the west late in the game. I also got several cities from both Chinas through peace treaties, alternating which I was warring against.

3. Take Beijing early, less for the defensive power of the Great Wall (though that is fantastic) than to take that annoying ability away from Jin. That was my biggest mistake, as the flow of the game urged me to hit green China first. By the time I hit Beijing, its defenses were upgraded enough to make it more trouble than it should have been.

4. Get your capitol up to size 5 ASAP, and then ignore happiness entirely for the rest of the game. Puppet everything, connect up trade routes, and watch the gold flow.

5. After finishing Honor, consider picking up the first level of Liberty, then focus on Commerce. Gold is your friend. Gold buys military units, lots of military units. And Commerce makes all those purchases cheaper.

6. Persuing happiness is a waste of gold. And a waste of science, as you likely are razing perfectly good puppets. The 33% combat penalty is unfortunate, but in earlier attempts at the mission I found I was above 10 unhappiness most of the time anyway. And once you're above 20 anyway, anything more is largely irrelevant. All that gold spent buying courthouses, coliseums, and circuses could have been spent on more keshiks, longswordsmen, and lovely riflemen and frigates.

7. It's been mentioned before, but Japan falls very easily at the end to swarms of frigates. Move 4 embarked units, which you should have with Commerce, will make the final invasion a cakewalk.

Good luck to all those still seeking victory, hope my experience helps a little.

I took all the Japanese Cities with an attack from the sea. The turn before you will reduce the city to minimum, you need to move an embarked melee unit in range which will mean it can be attacked. The same turn just make sure to leave a naval attack unit also in range, the city will attack that instead.

:: shrugs ::

My naval units were mainly there to make sure to prevent Japanese naval units from killing my embarked units AND to prevent Japanese embarked units from attacking my landed Keshiks. YMMV, obviously. :p

This scenario is still really hard even with all this advice.

I find that getting the balance of scouting/moving in/attacking and retreating out of counter attack/city attack range is a tough one. Whilst it is key not to loose any Keshik, all the dancing back and forwards means that attacks seem slower somehow.
At least I managed to get teh Khaaaaaan! achievement so far.

Hard Hard Hard - I was within reaching distance of capturing Arabia and India when I ran out of time. It looks like you need real precision, don't loose a unit, and certainly fight a 2 front war to save time. Next time I am sticking with wiping out persia first. The two chinas can wait until I have a secong set of say 5 keshik, since at least it is a short distance to the front. Also, and I don;t know how, but I must try even harder not to loose units on the way.

OK - on a replay I finished it... at King level.. still hard.. I would say that rolling a few CS's really helps - also if you can get a civ under your belt, the free tech and 1000 cash really helps too. Which explains where the mongol cannons & musketmen come from.

I finally got back to playing Civ 5 and after a bit decided to do the Achievements.
I did a single game on King (turn 95 victory) - China first approach

NOTE: This was version 1.0.2.21
Only 4 happiness per luxury
Reduced horseman effect verse cities.

After careful review of this and some other threads, I decided to use a Tri-Army approach for the DEITY game.

--- Military Conquests ---

(#) = turn of defeat

ALPHA army went Western Xia (4) >> Uighur (9) >> Almaty (11) >> Russia (32) >> Hungry (38) >> Greece (52) >> Arabia (66) >> Abbasids (69) >> Persia finish (71)

BRAVO army went bounced back and forth playing the two Chinas against each other.
The key here was starting with Wu -- taking Chengdu (15) first for the TWO luxuries. Peace gave me Wu's southern city. Then I swung north to hit Beijing (24) from the North to take it. Take another 2 Jia citys (he never would give me cities in peace). Finally attack and finish off Wu (42), the take Jia's last City (49) >> Korea (54) >> Japan (67)

CHARLIE army was created after Wu fell (42) with 3 Khesiks from Bravo and 2 reinforcements while Bravo recieve a new Khesik to reinforce the most advanced pair of Khesiks. CHARLIE attacked Persia taking 3 cities before breaking off and heading to India to finish India on turn (71)

DELTA was formed from a few scraps to try to finish Persia quicker but its 3 Khesiks never got double tap and despite having 2 Swordsman and 2 Pikemen in support was never terribly effective in taking a Persia city though it did kill the remaing Persia land units. In the end, ALPHA force had to come from finishing Arabia to finish off the last 2 Persia Cities.

So a 71 Turn victory!

The AIs never really had a chance to tech up and Knights were the worst unit I dealt with.

I managed happiness with large numbers of scout garrisons to hold happiness generally above -10 for the first 26 turns, after than the rate of city captures began to soar as both ALPHA and BRAVO gained double-tap. After Wu fell (42) happiness really fell off staying -30 or more with -70 or more at the end (even though I was burning many cities. Even so, barbarians were not too big a deal. Part of the problem with happiness was the huge number of City States that I was force to capture.

This scenario can be done in under 66 turns but I was hampered by the poor political situation with being given exactly 1 city in peace during the entire scenaro. I also was slow to develop CHARLIE Army. Part of the problem was I was trying to save for Trireme to Frigate upgrades and as the first time through the scenario, I didn't know how much that cost was. In the end, poor money management by holding too much and not building more Khesiks from about turn 20 on caused a delay in the finish. Honestly, the way the Japan battle went, I could have used 4-5 Trireme instead of 3 Frigates and still accomplished the same thing just as quick though a 4th upgraded Khesik would have been essential.

I liked the Western Xia first then the other CS approach, but I made a mistake by initially bypassing Persia. Instead I should have taken Persia's northern 2 cities, then gotten peace and moved on to Russia. This would have allowed the units to have double tap, range 3, and indirect fire when they finally went after Hungry and Greece. The conquests of both of those entities was extremely slow until the range and indirect fire promotions were gained. Could have easily saved 5 turns by doing that and if Persia had given me 2 cities. Then CHARLIE would have been able to start working in India much sooner. India would have fallen easily as instead of starting on Persia on turn 46 and India on turn 60, India would have been started on about turn 50-52 falling around turn 62-65.

For India it is critical to avoid the mountain pass into the 2 cities (a death trap) and instead use the southern plains where your speed is extremely useful.

I think a sub-65 finish is possible with the right political situation. I never found a CS that I wanted or needed to take allied with an AI, and thus had to DOW all CS resulting in a CS alliance against me most of the game, leading to horrendous unhappiness, not that it really mattered in the end. That was not what slowed me down. A fourth Khesik in Japan would have helped end them a little quicker. Likewise, a 6th Khesik in China earlier would have made a significant different (not to mention a 7th, though finding targets might have been tough).

The main key to doing this quickly is to get 12-15 Khesik's as soon as possible and to have them divide into 3 groups. Further, the first group has to go West, not south.

Second group could either do the Chinas or Korea/Japan though without the Khesik upgrades that would be a slow battle while being attacked by Kyoto and likely a ranged unit.

In all, even with all the changed to Civilization, this can be won and won handly on Diety.

Critical points
Promotions: Double fire first, then range or indirect fire, then the other, then healing.
Manage happiness with scouts and garrison timing to allow your forces to right at -9 or better as long as possible.
USE workers to draw out the enemies.
Damaging cities gives more XP than killing units.
After getting
Trireme >> Frigate upgrade (256 gold)
Horseman >> Khesik upgrade (145 gold {95 gold w/Professional Army})

POLICIES
Get Military Tradition First then Professional Army
After that, the game is really too short for any meaningful happiness policy to be gained.
---------------
Production Focus
Scout costs 190 Gold or 37 hammers
Horseman costs 520 Gold or 112 hammers
Keshik cost 620 Gold or 180 hammers
Horseman upgrade to Keshik costs 145 Gold (95 Gold after Professional Army)
****I will build Horsemen then upgrade them to Keshik as that is quicker and cheaper than building Keshik.
Warrior upgrade to Swordsman is much cheaper than making Swordsman directly.
--------------
Workers
Start by heading in to the woods east of the capital to chop trees to speed horsemen production
--------------
Tech Focus
The primary issue here is not to get a free tech that finishes a tech you're working on. However, as I will be playing Jia (North China) against Wu (South China), I will not conquer an AI before turn 12, so Start with Masonry.
After Masonary >> Sailing >> Optics
But it will be Sailing >> Optics if your doing Japan first.

NOTE: Since I used 5 promotions to get Frigates, I could have been VERY FAR down the tree toward Rifling probably having it at the end to take Japan if needed.
--------------
I hope this all helps my fellow Khans.

Top Bottom