Anno Domini Gods and Kings

Thanks, roman_architect for the feedback. I agree that the techs need to be a little slower. If you would like to use Anno Domini as the basis for anything at all, I'd be honoured ;). Part of the reason for posting it is to have other people steal as much as they like and use it elsewhere! Have fun creating your mod :).

Sorry for delay in getting back here to report my issue. So I was having problems with rendering and I learned that it had to do with Direct X 10/11. So I started loading Civ 5 in Direct X 9 and now the game loads and plays great. Spent the whole weekending playing your mod on the Eastern Med map from anno domini map pack.

One small issue and not sure if it is due to mod or just game as I have not looked it up yet, is when I alt tab to internet sometimes the game will crash. Maybe one in six times it will. I have just got used to saving every time i want to alt tab.

Love the mod. Skirmish for the WIN!!!!

Version four is now available - please see the first page for the details ;).

@Klipche: I'm glad you're enjoying the mod. With respect to the issue you've raised - it's the only time this has been reported, so I wonder if it's actually an issue your end?

It is a Civ 5 issue with direct X for some users, but has nothing to do with your mod.

this mod is great, for me it is a new experience in Civ V.

GOOD WORK!!

-----------------------------
one question though: what does the building "Fletcher" do? It has no description...

this mod is great, for me it is a new experience in Civ V.

GOOD WORK!!

-----------------------------
one question though: what does the building "Fletcher" do? It has no description...

Thanks for the feedback :). The civilopedia tells you exactly what each building does...

In other news, I've not been able to access the Steam workshop properly for a while; managed to get on via my web browser (rather than steam link) yesterday, but even that's not working today. Anyone else having any issues?

While playing the game I have met with the Corinthians and (since I am Greek and Corinth is a greek city) I noticed that some of the names of the cities are actually modern city names that do go well with the atmosphere of this mode.

For example: Kalamaki, Perigiali, Chiliomodi, Agia Paraskevi

I suppose to most people this is not important, but to a greek-speaking player this is rather funny.

You could change those names (if you like) to some of Corinth's real-history colonies like: Ambracia, Epidamnos, Aenea, Potidea, Actium.

About the building "Fletcher", thanx i found it, but if you are doing corrections you can correct the description of it in the city menu when you try to build it, because is empty

One more suggestion, you could change the name of the World Wonder "Olympics" to "Olympic Games"

Also in the religions you can choose to build "Pagodas" but i think that this name is more Oriental and another name should be used (i don't know if you cna actually change it, sorry I have no idea of modding). A few suggestions for a name: Naos (plural Naoi), Temenos (plural Temenoi)

Also in a few City-States I get an error message that some file is missing:
Vancouver_leadericon.dds ---> KNOSSOS
Nurember_leadericon.dds ---> APOLLONIA
Thimphu_leadericon.dds ---> GARAMA
La_Paz_leadericon.dds ---> UR

I don't know if it's my computer/civ installation or something else...

While playing the game I have met with the Corinthians and (since I am Greek and Corinth is a greek city) I noticed that some of the names of the cities are actually modern city names that do go well with the atmosphere of this mode.

For example: Kalamaki, Perigiali, Chiliomodi, Agia Paraskevi

I suppose to most people this is not important, but to a greek-speaking player this is rather funny.

You could change those names (if you like) to some of Corinth's real-history colonies like: Ambracia, Epidamnos, Aenea, Potidea, Actium.

About the building "Fletcher", thanx i found it, but if you are doing corrections you can correct the description of it in the city menu when you try to build it, because is empty

One more suggestion, you could change the name of the World Wonder "Olympics" to "Olympic Games"

Also in the religions you can choose to build "Pagodas" but i think that this name is more Oriental and another name should be used (i don't know if you cna actually change it, sorry I have no idea of modding). A few suggestions for a name: Naos (plural Naoi), Temenos (plural Temenoi)

Also in a few City-States I get an error message that some file is missing:
Vancouver_leadericon.dds ---> KNOSSOS
Nurember_leadericon.dds ---> APOLLONIA
Thimphu_leadericon.dds ---> GARAMA
La_Paz_leadericon.dds ---> UR

I don't know if it's my computer/civ installation or something else...

Thanks for the feedback. For the fletcher, I followed Firaxis' lead on how they did buildings, otherwise it led to a double-entry in the civilopedia.

The city-states you're getting an error on is due to you having map packs that people have made. If you are playing a general game, rather than on one of the maps, you need to have the map packs unselected on the mods menu.

Wondering why it disappeared from my MOD folder!? I am still subscribed...*poof* gone!
known issue?

Nothing to do with the mod, it's a Steam Workshop bug that affects almost all mods.

You need to clear your mod cache and resubscribe, or unsubscribe before your start the game and then resubscribe from inside the game.

Now, I don't know if this is still a work in progress and if you take any suggestions/ideas/feedback, but nevertheless I do a have a few about the gameplay.

I have played this mod with the two included maps about 7 times now, at prince level, with various civs. My suggestions are based on that experience and my purpose is to make the game more fun and also maybe a bit more historicaly acurate (vast empires, quick campaigns, more interesting war). Some of the suggestions below are about the mod itself and some about the map design. Some may not be doable or may be totally wrong... :D

Naval & Sea changes:
- Make the Fishing Boats cheaper (for game balance, now the civs that are inland with one settler can improve many tiles, but it takes one fishing boat for every sea resource for the coastal civs)
- Make available at an earlier time a Ship with Ranged Combat so that it can be actually usefull and make naval warefare more important).
- Make the Harbor available at an earlier time (this is very crucial for been able to create colonies without losing cash, image the Phoenicans or the Greeks without colonies).
- Make all the Military Ships (without ranged combat ability) able to go though enemy territory without casing casus belli (so that they can actually explore the map and not just sit there when they meet a civ that won't agree to Open Borders))
- Make availabe at an earlier time a Military Ship that can cross ocean tiles

Other Changes
- End-game wonders: 1)Increase the cost for building St. Peter’s Basilica so that it takes more time to build since it is a so important wonder 2) Add new 2 new World Wonders: Crusades and Jihad. They can be built only in a holy city and they provide bonus for free unit maintenance (for example 10 free units, you figure it out) and increase religious pressure for the city. No civ can build both of them.

- End-game unit: Holy Warrior (mounted). It requires iron + copper + horses, it has a lot of movement (5), ignores terrain, has no defense terrain bonus, but has bonus against cities and each civ can only have 5 of them at the same time.

- World Wonders: Increase the build cost of the wonders that provide free buildings in all the cities and at the same time increase the number of wonders that do so (make more wonders that provide free buildings in every city, of course this would take a lot of time and planning, just an idea)

- Warfare: Decrease Base City Defense value and increase the build cost of defensive buildings (thus making the cities more difficult to defend). This way we can re-create great historical campaigns (like for example the campaign of Alexander the Great) something that with current mod is very difficult, especially if the enemy cities are in mountainous areas. Also this would drive players to build more defensive buildings only in the cities that really matter.

- Science: Do something about the science-bonus of Babylon (it is over-powered right now) or offer some choice to slightly increase science at the early part of the game for all the other civs.

- Religion: Allow to buy Great Persons with faith before the Dark Ages. Reduce the cost in faith of the military units that one can buy in that way.

- Happiness: We want to make Great Empires (like the Persian, the Macedonian or the Roman Empire). With the current balance of happiness this is very difficult (at prince level) even with the help of religion and the right social policies. My suggestion is either to add more items of the same luxury resource, so that the civs can have more to trade) or increase the amount of happiness each luxury provides. Maybe also decrease somehow the unhappiness caused from puppet cities (maybe with a wonder, or a social policy, or by default).

that's all... :crazyeye:

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I will look at this for the Brave New World version of the mod, which I'll be working on when BNW is available. The only thing I wouldn't do are the Crusades and Jihad; I'm trying to make this an ancient mod and that's more Medieval. If anything, I'm looking at the scope of the mod to move back a couple of centuries. I may look to remove some of the later civilizations and wonders that are currently there. I think they could be done in a mod I've considered before (for Civilization III) that goes from around 1AD until just before gunpowder is discovered.

Hello! I'm about to try this mod and would like to know if you can play it on Marathon setting?

update: I started up a game and the first thing I notice is I have no resources starting near me. I have restarted the map about 10 times now and other than two times I had zero or one resource. Is this normal?

update: Ok from the looks of it everything seems to be revealed with techs.

some suggestions about resources and early tech (i know, i know i talk 2 much :) )

A. Resources
1. as we all know bronze = copper + tin (most of the times)
so it would be nice if you could add the resource "Tin" and change somehow the unit or building requirements for bronze age units to demand both copper and tin. Maybe have a building that demand both resources but after you build it you can make as many units as u like, instead of having every unit demand copper and tin which is really difficult.
2. Other resources of that era could be "Flax" for making paper and "Lumber" (or "Timber") for making ships and wooden walls. Also a nice luxury resource would be "Tyrian Purple" which was the most important trade commodity of the ancient Phoenicians.

B. Early age techs

They the tech tree is right now, there are not many early era science techs, suddenly you discover... Writing. What I propose are a few early science techs, for example:

Tier I Tech: Hieroglyphics (leading to writing)
Tier I Tech: Alphabet (leading to writing)
Tier II Tech: Writing
Tier II Tech: Paper

As you understand, these are all just ideas and suggestions, in case you are still working on the mod. I hope I knew how to mod and I could help you, but I am useless....

Keep up the good job :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually, did you know that writing came first ;)? Around 9,000 BC, basic symbols were written on stones and tablets, possibly as counting tools initially; this lead to more complex symbols and hieroglyphics and the alphabet came in after that - introduced by the Phoenicians I believe.

Naval & Sea changes:
- Make the Fishing Boats cheaper (for game balance, now the civs that are inland with one settler can improve many tiles, but it takes one fishing boat for every sea resource for the coastal civs)
- Make available at an earlier time a Ship with Ranged Combat so that it can be actually usefull and make naval warefare more important).
- Make the Harbor available at an earlier time (this is very crucial for been able to create colonies without losing cash, image the Phoenicans or the Greeks without colonies).
- Make all the Military Ships (without ranged combat ability) able to go though enemy territory without casing casus belli (so that they can actually explore the map and not just sit there when they meet a civ that won't agree to Open Borders))
- Make availabe at an earlier time a Military Ship that can cross ocean tiles
Aside from the Fishing Boats idea, I would advise that these changes would actually give the mod less of an ancient feel, especially the ocean going ships. You do get naval warfare to happen and exploration. They just come later in the game, which is as it should be.

Other Changes
- End-game wonders: 1)Increase the cost for building St. Peter’s Basilica so that it takes more time to build since it is a so important wonder 2) Add new 2 new World Wonders: Crusades and Jihad. They can be built only in a holy city and they provide bonus for free unit maintenance (for example 10 free units, you figure it out) and increase religious pressure for the city. No civ can build both of them.

- End-game unit: Holy Warrior (mounted). It requires iron + copper + horses, it has a lot of movement (5), ignores terrain, has no defense terrain bonus, but has bonus against cities and each civ can only have 5 of them at the same time.

- World Wonders: Increase the build cost of the wonders that provide free buildings in all the cities and at the same time increase the number of wonders that do so (make more wonders that provide free buildings in every city, of course this would take a lot of time and planning, just an idea)

- Warfare: Decrease Base City Defense value and increase the build cost of defensive buildings (thus making the cities more difficult to defend). This way we can re-create great historical campaigns (like for example the campaign of Alexander the Great) something that with current mod is very difficult, especially if the enemy cities are in mountainous areas. Also this would drive players to build more defensive buildings only in the cities that really matter.

- Science: Do something about the science-bonus of Babylon (it is over-powered right now) or offer some choice to slightly increase science at the early part of the game for all the other civs.

- Religion: Allow to buy Great Persons with faith before the Dark Ages. Reduce the cost in faith of the military units that one can buy in that way.

- Happiness: We want to make Great Empires (like the Persian, the Macedonian or the Roman Empire). With the current balance of happiness this is very difficult (at prince level) even with the help of religion and the right social policies. My suggestion is either to add more items of the same luxury resource, so that the civs can have more to trade) or increase the amount of happiness each luxury provides. Maybe also decrease somehow the unhappiness caused from puppet cities (maybe with a wonder, or a social policy, or by default).

that's all... :crazyeye:
Again, many of these suggestions would tip the mod to more medieval times and just make the game too easy (eg. the happiness factor). Life was tough in ancient times. Most people weren't swimming in luxuries, only the elite. I personally feel there's currently a good balance and representation of that.

The warfare / city defence idea raises an interesting point, though I don't think that is necessarily the way to achieve it. It's not like cities fell so quickly from warfare in ancient times. There should be long old sieges to take them. Cities were typically surrendered after these, or after massive, epic decisive battles on the field. It's the units and abilities of certain civs that should lead to the creation of massive Persian/Hellenistic/Akkadian/Hunnic type empires, not the base city defence.

Top Bottom