Getting a domination victory in this game is frustrating.

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Okay, here's my situation. It's the early game. I have an army of about 10 Spearmen, 2 Pikemen, 2 archers and 3 catapults. So I attacked Wu Zeitian who has NOTHING but ARCHERS AND WARRIORS may I add. And man was it frustrating. Even with a huge army of better units I'm struggling against archers? I call BS.

It just frustrates me when I have a big army of superior units and I'm struggling against one of the first units you get in the game. Literally Wu Zeitian has freaking 2 archers and a warrior. And she's beating me. That to me is complete BS. Seriously, it's like she has super warriors and super archers or something.

Anyway, I've given up on getting a domination victory. If it's that hard to take a city when I have BETTER units, imagine how hard it would be to take a city that has better units.

I'm just venting here though. But man, this is why I hate this game.

Maybe' you should get better at warfare because a lot of people are complaining the Ai is bad at combat

Maybe' you should get better at warfare because a lot of people are complaining the Ai is bad at combat
Better how? I have MORE units, not only that, but more advanced units, yet I'm still struggling against archers and warriors.

Knights, Pikemen, Spearmen and Catapults should be able to own archers.

I seriously don't know what the game expects you to do. You get the most advanced, mass produce them and still struggle against less advanced units.

And perhaps those people complaining are playing on Chieftan too.

Okay, here's my situation. It's the early game. I have an army of about 10 Spearmen, 2 Pikemen, 2 archers and 3 catapults. So I attacked Wu Zeitian who has NOTHING but ARCHERS AND WARRIORS may I add. And man was it frustrating. Even with a huge army of better units I'm struggling against archers? I call BS.

Way too many melee units and way too few ranged units to be effective.

If you're playing vanilla, substitute at least 5 of those Spearmen for Archers.

If you're playing Gods and Kings or later, don't even waste your time with catapults. And yes, you should still be replacing at least 5 of those Spearmen with Archers.

This sounds like a post the AI would make if the AI had a rant forum =)

"Man, the other day I attacked the human player. I had like five spearmen, two pikemen, three swordsmen, five archers, and three catapults! The human player had something like two composite bowmen and two spearmen! And my entire attack force got wiped out! How the hell did that cheating human do that!" [pissed]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Better how? I have MORE units, not only that, but more advanced units, yet I'm still struggling against archers and warriors.

Unless you had 4 or 5 catapults, the composition of this force is *terrible* for taking a city. I'm not surprised you lost.

When attacking cities you want mostly ranged, along with (By ranged, I mean either archers or siege. I usually have mostly archers with one or two siege sprinkled in)
1 or 2 melee infantry to actually take the city.

It just frustrates me when I have a big army of superior units and I'm struggling against one of the first units you get in the game. Literally Wu Zeitian has freaking 2 archers and a warrior. And she's beating me. That to me is complete BS. Seriously, it's like she has super warriors and super archers or something.

Anyway, I've given up on getting a domination victory. If it's that hard to take a city when I have BETTER units, imagine how hard it would be to take a city that has better units.

I'm just venting here though. But man, this is why I hate this game.

You want more ranged units the way you're set up now, you have a terrible military. And don't go for catapults I've learned lately that its better to wait for artillery before going for those. Also I'm playing on Emperor, and I really wish the AI wasn't so bad at military sometimes its just way too easy to hold them off or take their cities

Way too many melee units and way too few ranged units to be effective.

If you're playing vanilla, substitute at least 5 of those Spearmen for Archers.

If you're playing Gods and Kings or later, don't even waste your time with catapults. And yes, you should still be replacing at least 5 of those Spearmen with Archers.

The composition of his army should be overkill for taking a city even if it isn't ideal.

I'm curious of the city's location and its defense score, and how he's going about trying to take it.

Yeah twelve era-appropriate melee units should easily be able to take a city on any difficulty level (why you have ten spearman when you have the tech to upgrade to Pikemen, I don't know). Did Wu have a great general? Were you trying to take her capital? Is it on a hill? Were you attacking across a river?

Let's get some screenshots!

I seriously don't know what the game expects you to do. You get the most advanced, mass produce them and still struggle against less advanced units.

And perhaps those people complaining are playing on Chieftan too.

More does not = better. I have been a tech level behind the AI in some games and fended off their attacks easily and counter attacked until they surrendered. Why? Because I played smartly. It's pretty easy to do against the AI.

How are you attacking? Are your units coming from one direction or are you surrounding the AI? With the balance of units you have, you need to surround. Bring multiple units in from different directions at the same time. You'll lose a few melee units as the AI picks them off but you should be able to surround the city and then start bringing down its defense with both ranged and melee attacks quickly.

As others have already stated, increase your ranged and decrease your melee. I disagree with the no catapults part though. While early siege units are a pain because of having to set up, I still use them. By the time I reach artillery, they have multiple promotions and can quickly reduce a city's defenses to zero.

If what you are doing isn't working then you have to try something different.

Yeah twelve era-appropriate melee units should easily be able to take a city on any difficulty level.
Not after they've been chewed up by a horde of archers before getting to the city.

Build ranged to weaken the city before your melee units attack, and to hit back against their ranged. Build horse to grind their archers before you.

Not after they've been chewed up by a horde of archers before getting to the city.

Build ranged to weaken the city before your melee units attack, and to hit back against their ranged. Build horse to grind their archers before you.

I'm not saying it's good strategy, I'm just saying it'll get the job done. The OP said his enemy had two archers. Not exactly a horde.

THIS is what a proper war party looks like.
Note that 60% of my war party consists of catapults and composite bowmen. (soon to be upgraded to trebuchets, ignore the economy for a while, my main focus was war).

OP, your army might have been a decent early rush army in Civ IV, but it is less than impressive in Civ V.

Ranged units in Civ V are much more powerful than they were in Civ IV.

Civ V ranged units can attack enemies from at least two tiles away without being counterattacked. That's huge.

@CivAddict2013, if you indeed play vanilla, all you need in early game is 6 swordsmen. Research IW asap either by hard teching or trough GL, build 6 warriors, send Liberty settler to 6 iron patch and settle on top of it. Instantly upgrade your warriors - kill. Beeline Steel, upgrade swordsmen to longswordsmen - kill more.

I must be playing wrong then because I only ever use 1 artillery (or higher ranged unit) and 1 melee unit (starting with minutemen) to ever take a city. Then again I've got all my military buildings and military wonders built to that point and my units normally start around level 4-5.

Top Bottom