Seems like they're cramming this xpac

Echoluken

Chieftain
Sorry to disrupt the trend on this forum of posting information and then speculating about it. I realize this might not be a very productive thread at all but I think the opinion deserves some dissertation.

Personally i feel as if we are about to be given half the game this launch. Not only are we provided with the same amount of civs as G/K but the new systems seem far more intricate. Tourism plays more in-depth with your game play with multiple avenues affecting rate such ideologies, archaeologists, culture buildings ect. And has powerful consequences as we see with city allegiances. And the victory itself is far more realistic than the old culture implement.

Religion and espionage is insipidly linear in comparison.

Trade routes have also become more logical and for the history savvies we can now simulate European imperialism.

If this is the tip of the iceberg and the features are even more complex still then g/k definitely got blown out of the water. To some extent that's what i am anticipating and hence the motivation to write this thread.

What i am complacent about however is it seems like they could have added all these features in less than 3 years. I mean they had time to make a steam punk scenario in g/k, something that's normally left to fans. And non of these features are new to the franchise besides archaeology. If i am correct than it doesn't seem like good practice hoarding out a game. But i suppose developers can't live on one major success every 5 years.

What your opinions?

This development is actually quite typical for the Civ-series, in previous Civ installments a similar thing happened.
The only difference this time around is that they also added DLC into the mix. And of coursere there have been quite a few patches, soms bugfixing, but others balancing and adding content.

And believe it or not, there's even room for improvements after this expansion (although nobody knows if they'll release another xpac after.)

The old days of long development for games is over,unless you are making trillions like Rockstar or Bethesda and can afford too.

This development is actually quite typical for the Civ-series, in previous Civ installments a similar thing happened.
The only difference this time around is that they also added DLC into the mix. And of coursere there have been quite a few patches, soms bugfixing, but others balancing and adding content.

And believe it or not, there's even room for improvements after this expansion (although nobody knows if they'll release another xpac after.)

And G&K is actually better than both Conquests and Warlords.

I just cannot imagine how epic and off the wall the features of a third expansion would be. I want one just to see what they can come up with.

We could potentially be looking at continuance into the future era. :goodjob:

Maybe even internal politics within your empire. Game of thrones style.

I just cannot imagine how epic and off the wall the features of a third expansion would be. I want one just to see what they can come up with.

That's a bit difficult to swallow civ 5 has been a game that takes itself seriously historically. I doubt they will delve in to made up timelines. But on a side note i'd totally love a alpha centauri 2 once they have no other plans here on civ 5.

They haven't touched corporations yet, and espionage could definitely use with a fleshing out. I wouldn't mind some random events brought back in either.

I wish they would have added some new military units. Are there any others besides the XCOM squad?

I wish they would have added some new military units. Are there any others besides the XCOM squad?

Bazooka, which i'm still not sure is it anti-tank or ranged unit. They said it's in "ranged infrantry line" in some preview (wth is ranged infrantry?) but anti-tank would make more sense.

This does seem fairly typical for a Civ release. What set vanilla 5 apart was that it felt too barebones. It was true as well. A lot of old mechanics were left out rather than reworked in Civ 5 fashion. All the expansions add it back in. I did not really love civ 5 until gods and kings came out. Now i can't even play knowing all of this new stuff is coming haha :p I love civ 5 now. It took awhile for me to shed my love for civ 4 but now i don't think i could go back. I can't wait for BNW.

Bazooka, which i'm still not sure is it anti-tank or ranged unit. They said it's in "ranged infrantry line" in some preview (wth is ranged infrantry?) but anti-tank would make more sense.

It should be a machine gun upgrade to minimize ranged-melee upgrades in the game.

And 9 UU's. ;)

9-11. While developers seem to strongly prefer 1UU civs (and like UI), the remaining ones still could have 2UU.

This does seem fairly typical for a Civ release. What set vanilla 5 apart was that it felt too barebones. It was true as well. A lot of old mechanics were left out rather than reworked in Civ 5 fashion. All the expansions add it back in.

I wouldn't use term "mechanic" here. Religion, espionage, corporations, etc. are features, not mechanics. That's why I didn't like G&K too much as gameplay reasons for adding Religion were not too convincing (but they still exist, so that's ok).

And that's why I really like BNW - developers spoke about late-game problems they wish too solve, not about how much they want to see cold war in game.

The Bazooka is at Nuclear Fission and that's down the line from the Machine Gun, but no where near the anti-tank gun. I'd say it is the final unit for the ranged line rather than an interstitial unit for the anti-tank line.

Sorry to disrupt the trend on this forum of posting information and then speculating about it. I realize this might not be a very productive thread at all but I think the opinion deserves some dissertation.

Personally i feel as if we are about to be given half the game this launch. Not only are we provided with the same amount of civs as G/K but the new systems seem far more intricate. Tourism plays more in-depth with your game play with multiple avenues affecting rate such ideologies, archaeologists, culture buildings ect. And has powerful consequences as we see with city allegiances. And the victory itself is far more realistic than the old culture implement.

Religion and espionage is insipidly linear in comparison.

Trade routes have also become more logical and for the history savvies we can now simulate European imperialism.

If this is the tip of the iceberg and the features are even more complex still then g/k definitely got blown out of the water. To some extent that's what i am anticipating and hence the motivation to write this thread.

What i am complacent about however is it seems like they could have added all these features in less than 3 years. I mean they had time to make a steam punk scenario in g/k, something that's normally left to fans. And non of these features are new to the franchise besides archaeology. If i am correct than it doesn't seem like good practice hoarding out a game. But i suppose developers can't live on one major success every 5 years.

What your opinions?

Why so surprised?

Vanilla by itself was quite a good product (ok, I've read some stuff before about a bunch of glitches at the launch, but I've missed all of that) and they both intentionally and unintentionally 'finished' the game. Just think of these reasons:

- Marketing. If you finish your game in one go, you'll make money in the beginning but eventually it'll die out. By providing new updates/DLC/expansions, they are keeping the game alive. Some people that had moved on to other games might come back again because of an expansion.
- Deadlines. They might have had more ideas for the launch, but were unable to work them all out and saved them for a later moment.
- You will always get new ideas along the way and nowadays with the wonderful internet they are also able to look at the general opinion and pick out several ideas and suggestions out of them. They have already mentioned before that Portugal, Poland and Zulu are being added due to fan request and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing goes for Indonesia and Brazil.
- When you run a project like that it will always be your 'baby' and if allowed you will try to make it a better product.
- Fanbase. You will always have people that are willing to spend a lot of money on new content.

Honestly, be grateful with the way expansions are being released. In the '90s and beginning '00 you wouldn't know when an expansion was released until you read about it in a tv-guide or when you saw it lying in a toy store. Downloading? Hah, you wouldn't get more than a couple MB update fixing a few things. Now they can try to make the product better for the customer and give some neat information along the way.

They haven't touched corporations yet, and espionage could definitely use with a fleshing out. I wouldn't mind some random events brought back in either.

Corporations IMO are the modern day great empires, with their own modern day "Battles of Bloodshed" throughout the globe. Just as the Mongol empire ran the gamut through Asia, the Middle East, and parts of Europe. Modern Corporations take over internationally, killing off smaller businesses, either by choking their profits off and killing them, or just taking over through buy-outs or mergers.

It would be interesting, but hard to implement IMO

Corporations IMO are the modern day great empires, with their own modern day "Battles of Bloodshed" throughout the globe. Just as the Mongol empire ran the gamut through Asia, the Middle East, and parts of Europe. Modern Corporations take over internationally, killing off smaller businesses, either by choking their profits off and killing them, or just taking over through buy-outs or mergers.

It would be interesting, but hard to implement IMO

Something that also hasn't been touched yet is how international mega-corporations can affect the policy and behaviors of societies they're a part of.

Top Bottom