Barbarian Colour Change

Does this solve the galley/brute problem?

Edit: Sorry for the quality, the sharp eyed of you will realise this is a gally, the rest will have to believe it isn't a conspiracy.

There's a barbarian galley icon. It looks like it could match, but i can't quite make out enough detail to say that's definitely it. The angle of the emblem in the icon looks a bit off too. Especially since that's quite late in the game, most of the cities are 10+ popn., by then shouldn't they be getting triremes/caravels? You can even make out the date as far as to see its passed 1000AD

In the IGN video you can see some barbarian units, and their colors have not changed. The icon shown in the Turn Processing slot is different, but the color scheme is the same.

Keep in mind that the colors have been degraded due to the video compression, so color-picking RGB values won't tell you much.

It's the Shawnee UU (or equivalent NA tribe). 85% sure of it. I think it was hidden or was a small Easter egg.

It could also be a depiction of non-western, less civilized barbarians. Since a NA native depiction clearly would be bias, I don't see them going that route. If so, I'd expect these things to replace swordsmen or something like that.

ok that is a galley if the tomahawk thrower is Barbarian does this mean they will have three unique units ? while every one else has two ? might we get the barbarian's as a full civ ?

I believe it's been said that the screenshot was 100% staged, so it's probable that they wanted to tease us.

I'm glad that Barbarians are finally getting a proper icon.

In the IGN video you can see some barbarian units, and their colors have not changed. The icon shown in the Turn Processing slot is different, but the color scheme is the same.

Keep in mind that the colors have been degraded due to the video compression, so color-picking RGB values won't tell you much.

Yup. Galley confirmation, no colour change then.

Slightly different theory:

The Pueblo were already in a far stage of development when they were scrapped. This is what we know, Dennis Shirk said this. It's likely they had already a unit designed for them as well. Perhaps it was this axeman. Google for 'Pueblo warrior' and you get axe swaying guys that look a lot like what's in the screenshot.

Maybe at Firaxis they were just fooling around with that unit they had anyway, without really knowing sure what to do with it. Or maybe indeed they put it in this screenshot as a prank, to get us developing wild theories. Then they were successful. :lol:

Never have Firaxis changed the colours of the barbarians, I believe. Also it would be strange if a real civ would send a combat unit out on its own like in the screenshot. Scouts are always send out on their own, combat units always in parties. I like the theory in the opening post, but I wouldn't bet a penny on it.

Actually, there is a single case of Barbarians having a colour change.

Civ III - Conquests - Medieval Scenario - the Barbarians changed colour from White to Yellow.

Slightly different theory:

The Pueblo were already in a far stage of development when they were scrapped. This is what we know, Dennis Shirk said this. It's likely they had already a unit designed for them as well. Perhaps it was this axeman. Google for 'Pueblo warrior' and you get axe swaying guys that look a lot like what's in the screenshot.

Maybe at Firaxis they were just fooling around with that unit they had anyway, without really knowing sure what to do with it. Or maybe indeed they put it in this screenshot as a prank, to get us developing wild theories. Then they were successful. :lol:

Never have Firaxis changed the colours of the barbarians, I believe. Also it would be strange if a real civ would send a combat unit out on its own like in the screenshot. Scouts are always send out on their own, combat units always in parties. I like the theory in the opening post, but I wouldn't bet a penny on it.

I have indeed danced for their amusement XD Interesting, that pueblo warrior search though! Gives me a little more hope that the Pueblo are still alive and kicking.

I dunno man, that looks like an Ethiopian Gallasses to me... :mischief:

It could also be a depiction of non-western, less civilized barbarians. Since a NA native depiction clearly would be bias, I don't see them going that route. If so, I'd expect these things to replace swordsmen or something like that.

I dont really understand what you are trying to say here. Having barbarian unit wielding a tomahawk is not that really big think IMO. After all ancient Celts and Germans were more advanced in many ways than most North-American Natives. Either we can call all technologically primitive people barbarians or we shouldnt use the word at all.

On a general note I would like to see more barbarian unique units and also a way to hire them to fight at your side. Also militaristic city states could have real unique units. Like Ur having Phalanx as their UU. Militaristic city states could also be more aggressive than other city states.

While not implausible, if true we dodged a bullet. The Axe thrower that comes up for a search for Pueblo Warrior (along with an annoying number of high schoolers whose team mascot is Pueblo Warrior) is a generic Native American unit from Empire Total War. They are certainly not Pueblo. This is more of a Pueblo Warrior.

On the unit being Pueblo, the problem is that 1) the unit has a mohawk hairstyle, which is only found among the eastern native american groups; and 2) the Tomahawk is also only found among the eastern native american groups.

We have essentially an undeniably eastern native American looking unit in what appears to be barbarian colors, that much all of us can agree on. Why that's the case - that's another matter altogether.

I offer a couple of alternative solutions.

a) Barbarians can now Spawn UU Mobs just like military city states
b) A new line of units has been made for barbarians so they have UU (like the brute) for the whole game. e.g. Axemen is the iron age Barbarian melee unit

I offer a couple of alternative solutions.

a) Barbarians can now Spawn UU Mobs just like military city states
b) A new line of units has been made for barbarians so they have UU (like the brute) for the whole game. e.g. Axemen is the iron age Barbarian melee unit

If the barbs could spawn non-game UUs like the militaristic city-states, that would be a nice, tight explanation, but we simply do not know if this is the case.

All I can really say is that if there was a barbarian closely associated with Native Americans or if the Native American civ can produce barbarian units, and the Nations catch wind of it, there is a good chance Firaxis may not get any Native American voice actors ever again. They don't like sports teams using their names. They could very well be very spiteful if some video game tied them to the term "barbarian". And I wouldn't blame them one bit.

All I can really say is that if there was a barbarian closely associated with Native Americans or if the Native American civ can produce barbarian units, and the Nations catch wind of it, there is a good chance Firaxis may not get any Native American voice actors ever again. They don't like sports teams using their names. They could very well be very spiteful if some video game tied them to the term "barbarian". And I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Exactly. Given that the devs respected the Pueblo council's wishes to not have Pope (or not have the Pueblo in, depending on what you think), I highly doubt they would then the devs make a native american looking "barbarian" unit.

Top Bottom