History Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really - this is much better:

Spoiler :

BTW - Germans have Sauer Kraut and Poles have Kiszona Kapusta - they are the same thing.

Germans are even known as "Cabbages" (Krauts), such an all-German nickname.

Poles don't have an all-Polish nickname derived from vegetables.

But Poles from other regions sometimes call ones from my region (Poznan) "Potatoes" (Pyry).

We "Potatoes" are renowned for our enterpreneurship and for kicking the asses of "Cabbages" in Posener Aufstand.

My paternal grandfather was a typical, industrious "Potato" - citizen of a small town (Dobrzyca) he owned and ran (together with his 1st and then 2nd wifes) a shop and a meat-processing plant inside the town, and he also owned a farm in villages outside of the town. He was a merchant, a master craftsman (master butcher) and a part-time farmer in one person. His brother, another industrious "Potato", owned a company in the city of Gdynia. The Nazis came and murdered his brother in 1939 - that was part of the Piasnica mass murders, where they exterminated Polish elites from Gdynia (including business class, like my grand-uncle). After expulsion or murder of a large part of its Polish inhabitants, the city of Gdynia was renamed Gotenhafen. Germans also murdered my grandfather's first wife in Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1944. Later the Communists came and in 1950s they nationalized both his shop and his meat-processing plant.

His private property became state-owned.

Domen said:
His brother, another industrious "Potato", owned a company in the city of Gdynia. The Nazis came and murdered his brother in 1939 - that was part of the Piasnica mass murders, where they exterminated Polish elites from Gdynia (including business class, like my grand-uncle).

In one of those buildings in Gdynia where my grand-uncle's company was located, there is now... a branch of Deutsche Bank in Gdynia!

My family has sued to regain those properties - in total three plots of land - or a financial compensation for their loss.

If we win the case, we will get a lot of money. These three plots of land are in the middle of Gdynia now. They are worth more than in 1939.

I no longer consider the 1939 invasion of Poland an atrocity by the Nazi regime.

Well - it was certainly an atrocity against die deutschen Ostgebiete, as it turned out in 1945. He he he.

Germany should invade Poland one more time, if they want to end up with their eastern border along the Elbe River.

=======================================

Domen said:
Germans are even known as "Cabbages" (Krauts), such an all-German nickname.

Poles don't have an all-Polish nickname derived from vegetables.

But Poles from other regions sometimes call ones from my region (Poznan) "Potatoes" (Pyry).

We "Potatoes" are renowned for our enterpreneurship and for kicking the asses of "Cabbages" in Posener Aufstand.

"Cabbages" vs. "Potatoes" - a 100 years long fight against "forced Cabbagisation", in the end of which "Cabbagistan" was kicked out of "Potatoland":

Link to video.

My maternal great grandfather was forced to fight at Verdun in a "Cabbage" uniform against "Frogs" in WW1. Fortunately the "Frogs" won there.

Hipolit Cegielski was one of "Potato" businessmen who outclassed all "Cabbages" economically before insurgents outclassed them militarily in 1918-1919:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Cegielski_-_Poznań_S.A.

"Hipolit Cegielski (1813-1868) - Ziemia, Przemysł, Handel, Polska, Pozytywizm, Kapitalizm" (Land, Industry, Trade, Poland, Positivism, Capitalism):

Link to video.

Cegielski's company in Poznan survived the test of time:

Link to video.

You made that exact same German-bashing spam of a monologue post in the OT thread on Germany. Nobody watches your irrelevant Polish videos, and everyone on CFC is tired of Poland. Knock it off.

No disrespect but I actually find that map kinda prettier than ordinary Europe. :/

New question: Is Spain the oldest nation in Europe?

It'd be hard to make the case. You only really get a coherently "Spanish" nationalism with the Napoleonic Wars, when both pro- and anti-Napoleonic forces begin to define themselves in relation to a "Spanish nation". Before that, the closest is a sort of Castillian chauvinism that insists upon the Castillian language and Castillian loyalties as appropriate for Catalans, Galicians, Basques, etc., and it's not clear that this chauvinism is seen by either side in "national" terms. (Castillian was also the predominant language of white and mixed-race Latin Americans, after all.)

Depends on how you define it. If you're just talking about the state, it's been around for some time, yeah. There's been a state called Armenia populated by cultural, linguistic, and/or ethnic Armenians for thousands of years, but Armenia has been conquered periodically, picked up and moved to Cilicia once, and most recently gained its independence in 1991. In some senses, Armenia's the oldest, but it could be disqualified on the grounds of all the times it's been conquered or moved, and by the dispute over whether or not it's even in Europe. It probably isn't, though.

England's another contender, depending again on definitions (Aelfred the Great? Aethelstan? Aedward the Confessor? William I?) and whether or not you consider it to have been replaced by the UK.

Also, Denmark.

Depends on how you define it. If you're just talking about the state, it's been around for some time, yeah.
Not even then, really. There was no state by the name of "Spain" until the Napoleonic era, and even if we're counting the union of Castile and Aragon, it only goes to 1492.

I personally settle for the state of Spain to date from the War of Spanish Succession, but then I am an irreparably biased Catalan nationalist.

Another point I would like to ask is if there is any basis to claim that Spain is 3000 years old. (I know, there isn't. Kthxbai)

Not even then, really. There was no state by the name of "Spain" until the Napoleonic era, and even if we're counting the union of Castile and Aragon, it only goes to 1492.
Wait, you can prove that it hasn't been around for "some time"? I was deliberately being as vague as possible to avoid being contradicted.:crazyeye:

Well, I'm assuming that "some time" means that it would compare to England, France, Scotland, Denmark, etc., which it really doesn't. Castile and Leon do (although not Aragon), but neither of them are really "Spain", any more than Brandenburg-Prussia was "Germany".

I mean, I'd probably agree with Joan that the neatest date for a "Spanish state" would be after the Wars of Spanish Succession, when Aragon was basically absorbed into Castile (and although it remained in the very strictest sense Castile, was so generally recognised as "Spain" as to make little practical difference), but even that still leaves it pretty junior to a lot of European states.

I guess the United States are as old as England then?

Maybe the question should be: "what is the oldest currently in use language in Europe".
That would be French, then, because the French were the first to get it into their that languages could be crystalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom