Ancient Israel what really happened?

Domen said:
Most of Egyptian pyramids are made of stone, not brick.
This is incorrect. Most Egyptian pyramids constructed were either made of mudbrick or had a mudbrick core. Amenemhat III's pyramid is a good example of the latter.

I have no idea what you mean by the Hittite rulers in Egypt since at their extent the Hittites only conquered some of Egypt's holdings in the Canaan. The Hyksos dynasties were founded centuries before the Hittite kingdom, and by the time the Hyksos were defeated the Hittites had only just started campaigning in Syria. And from the amount of propaganda we have from Egypt during their later wars with the Hittites, I don't believe the Egyptians would have missed the chance to claim such a victory over the Hittites.

There was a period of established Hittite rule between 1600 and 1179. However there is evidence that the Hittites were active as early as 1800. The Assyrian Empire was loosing it's grasp because of the Hittites between 1720 and 1710. In 1259 there was a peace treaty between them and Egypt. That was 300 years after the Hyksos were driven out of Egypt and there is no mention of any Hyksos rule any where in those 300 years.

The first Hyksos came to Egypt around 1800. The first kingdom was in 1720. There was another wave of Hyksos in 1650 and the Egyptians finally drove them out in 1550. that was only 50 years after the established Hittite Empire.

No one has said with 100% authority who the Hyksos were, but the Hittites cannot be ruled out because their time frame was overlapping and they did seem to be breaking the Assyrian hold on the Levant during the same time that the Hyksos were establishing their hold on Egypt.

My original point was that Abraham seemed to have been able to communicate with both the Canaanite and Hyksos rulers and traveled between both areas freely. Later his offspring was forced to go to Egypt around 1750. They then left Egypt around 1450 or even 1400. The Pharaoh at that time was no longer a Hyksos. They could even have been made slaves after the Hyksos rulers where run out of Egypt. The Israelites though do not seem to be connected in any way to them either in the Bible or in any archeological findings.

And if we read Exodus literally, then it turns out that rather not all of Hebrews, but only part of them migrated to Egypt:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 1&version=NIV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+46&version=NIV

So it is possible that Hebrews continued to live in Palestine, and that only some of them ever lived in Egypt.

The Bible is not clear on this, as it does not say what was the total number of Hebrews before their migration to Egypt.

But if we read this excerpt literally, then only ca. 70 clans migrated to Egypt in total (perhaps in several waves):

http://www.torahmusings.com/2012/01/how-many-came-out-of-egypt/

And the number of clans who migrated back from Egypt, was 600 (after several generations of multiplying in Egypt):

Let's assume that one clan / family numbered - as that of Jacob - on average some 50 - 70 people.

This means that the number of Hebrews who migrated to Egypt was 3,5 - 5 k people, and of those who left 30 - 42 k people.

Not an impossible number for a nomadic tribe of cattle herders.

Also increasing their numbers from 5 k to 30 k during several generations of their presence in Egypt is not impossible.

This isn't what the Bible says. The view of the Pentateuch is that Jacob and his family were the only Hebrews. All Jews regarded themselves as descended from Abraham:

Genesis 12:1-2 said:
Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing."

Genesis 26:2-5 said:
The Lord appeared to Isaac and said, "Do not go down to Egypt; settle in the land that I shall show you. Reside in this land as an alien, and I will be with you, and will bless you; for to you and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will fulfill the oath that I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven, and will give to your offspring all these lands; and all the nations of the earth shall gain blessing for themselves through your offspring, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

Genesis 28:13-14 said:
And the Lord stood beside [Jacob] and said, "I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring; and your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and all the families of the earth shall be blessed in you and in your offspring."

If you take the biblical narrative seriously, then it was merely one family who moved to Egypt, and they became a whole people whilst there, who moved back to Palestine. There weren't any Hebrews who "stayed behind" because Hebrews are by definition people descended from that family. God gave the land specifically to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The names you give from the Pentateuch are all members of that one family.

Plotinus said:
The names you give from the Pentateuch are all members of that one family.

Yes, they are all members of the same tribe, which numbered perhaps several thousand people.

I'm not sure what surprises you so much in this. The Hebrews at that time were a small tribal society (numbering several thousand individuals). Even though tribes are not families - they certainly believe that they are. Tribes usually think of themselves as large families - and this has some grain of truth in itself, because usually members of a small tribe are more closely related to each other, than to vast majority of people from other tribes. Of course tribal societies also had their methods of preventing too high levels of genetic homogeneity (such levels which can be considered unhealthy) - for example enslaving members of other tribes, or kidnapping wifes during wars. The custom of kidnapping wifes was common among tribal societies across the globe - both in North America and other continents. Its main purpose was not to oppress women's rights, but to enrich the gene pool of their tribe (of course they didn't know what are genes, but they realized that inbreeding can be harmful - as evidenced by customs existing among Australian Aborigines, which defined certain behaviour patterns between brothers and sisters, for example that brothers and sisters must keep a distance of several meters from each other and can't come closer).

Read for example some excerpts from this book:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4381154;view=1up;seq=15

Another example:

And one more:

Situation was different for example among the Iroquois in North America - they were very warlike and absorbed remnants of defeated tribes into tribes of their own federation - European accounts say that among the Iroquois, native Iroquois were in minority by ca. year 1660, and majority were foreigners who joined them. Also European colonization increased social mobility between tribes.

Plotinus said:
All Jews regarded themselves as descended from Abraham

But Abraham had multiple wifes. Later Moses even had a wife from Ethiopia:

http://www.biblefellowshipunion.co.uk/2004/sep_oct/moseseth.htm

Actually the Jews would only be considered descendants of Jacob/Israel. Semites could be descendants from people like Abraham, Lot, Harran. Some Arabs would attempt to trace their family back to Ishmael, Medan, Midian, and any of the other sons of Abraham.

Lot had two sons, who allegedly was the Moabites and Ammonites. Isaac had two sons: Esau and Jacob/Israel. Esau was the father of the Edomites.

Moses married a Midianite from the nomadic people group in the northern part of Arabia. These were descendants of Abraham through his son Midian.

If you move from wilderness to much better living conditions in the Nile Valley or the Nile Delta, then you do.

(...) I don't assume this, not sure why do you think so. I provided my estimate, you can agree or disagree with it.

Most of Native American tribes in North America also had numbers ranging from a few thousand to few dozen thousand. (...)

Can you show the relevant excerpt of Genesis or Exodus which says that they were put to work on construction?

The excerpt I quoted says that the Pharaoh put them in charge of his livestock - good job for experienced shepherds.

(...)This "exclusive farming" civilization considered cows to be near-sacred animals and even had a bull-deity, Apis

This is so full of ignorance of ancient Egypt, biblical research and ancient Hebrews I don't know where to start. Luckily other posters do seem to know, so I won't bother at this point.

This is so full of ignorance of ancient Egypt, biblical research and ancient Hebrews I don't know where to start. Luckily other posters do seem to know, so I won't bother at this point.

It is not that out of the ordinary. The problem is that the events in question take place in the ME the birth place of the first major empires and not in total isolation.

Domen said:
Can you show the relevant excerpt of Genesis or Exodus which says that they were put to work on construction?
Exodus 5.

5 Afterward Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the wilderness.’”

2 Pharaoh said, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go.”

3 Then they said, “The God of the Hebrews has met with us. Now let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the Lord our God, or he may strike us with plagues or with the sword.”

4 But the king of Egypt said, “Moses and Aaron, why are you taking the people away from their labor? Get back to your work!” 5 Then Pharaoh said, “Look, the people of the land are now numerous, and you are stopping them from working.”

6 That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and overseers in charge of the people: 7 “You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. 8 But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don’t reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to our God.’ 9 Make the work harder for the people so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies.”

10 Then the slave drivers and the overseers went out and said to the people, “This is what Pharaoh says: ‘I will not give you any more straw. 11 Go and get your own straw wherever you can find it, but your work will not be reduced at all.’” 12 So the people scattered all over Egypt to gather stubble to use for straw. 13 The slave drivers kept pressing them, saying, “Complete the work required of you for each day, just as when you had straw.” 14 And Pharaoh’s slave drivers beat the Israelite overseers they had appointed, demanding, “Why haven’t you met your quota of bricks yesterday or today, as before?”

15 Then the Israelite overseers went and appealed to Pharaoh: “Why have you treated your servants this way? 16 Your servants are given no straw, yet we are told, ‘Make bricks!’ Your servants are being beaten, but the fault is with your own people.”

17 Pharaoh said, “Lazy, that’s what you are—lazy! That is why you keep saying, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to the Lord.’ 18 Now get to work. You will not be given any straw, yet you must produce your full quota of bricks.”

19 The Israelite overseers realized they were in trouble when they were told, “You are not to reduce the number of bricks required of you for each day.” 20 When they left Pharaoh, they found Moses and Aaron waiting to meet them, 21 and they said, “May the Lord look on you and judge you! You have made us obnoxious to Pharaoh and his officials and have put a sword in their hand to kill us.”

Ahab is known from Assyrian sources, and Omri is mentioned on the Mesha stone. Assyria called Israel the Land of Omri. I tend to think all the kings of Israel and Judah really existed, although the first three (Saul, David and Solomon) are encrusted in legend. Some but not all of the Judges are probably historical. Anybody before that, I'd be skeptical.

Top Bottom