time required to play MP?

ericball

Warlord
One of these days I'm going to make the jump into MP. How much time should I set aside to play a game? (Especially one which extends into the modern era.)

Any ideas on how long I'll wait to start playing (PS3, North America, Fri/Sat/Sun evening Sat/Sun afternoon)?

MP games last anywhere from about 15min- 3 hours. Most of my H2H games are done in under an hour, a 2 hour game is really long, and usually means it's well into the modern.

for the 4 player format, FFA, games typially last 30 minutes to 3 hours. A really short game being 30 min, and a game well into the modern (which is more likely than than in H2H), will take about 3 hours, depending.

On PS3, it may take 5-15 minutes on average to find a game, but sometimes it takes longer. It just depends. The evening times are going to be more busy for you. The afternoons can be dead.

Another thing to point out is that a majority of games will be lopsided, especially in head-to-head. In lopsided games, ppl tend to quit sooner. It's pretty rare for 2 players to be neck and neck all the way to the modern era in H2H. In FFA, it's not too rare that 2 of the 4 players will be close in tech and maybe make it to the modern around the same time, but it's very rare for 3 or 4 to do so.

Starting out on MP takes a little patience and getting used to. You're going to have to deal with annoying players, dishonest players, people that use up the timer a lot etc. we talked about this on the revcast, so I'm guessing you know about some of the things we talked about concerning the timer and other things. After a week or two, it will be old hat, you may not be up to par with the top players, but I guarentee your eyes will be opened to different play styles. Despite what I said about annoying and dishonest players, MP is a place were you can meet a lot of the good players, have some great fun, and it's kept me from playing any other game for the last year. It's lots of fun.

also, don't be discouraged by freezes, take em with a grain of salt, they happen, more frequently on ps3 than xbox. it can be frustrating, but we all put up with it because it's such a great multiplayer game.

good luck!
don't hesitate anymore to jump in, you're ready.

Top Bottom