Is late-game lag a part of the engine or can I up my specs and play a huge map?

Jaime

Chieftain
Hey everyone,

New to the forums *waves*

I love Civ. I hate Civ...

I manage to play the deity Europe map pretty good, but huge maps are just non-playable.

I'm just wondering, since the new space game is going to be the same engine - is my PC just not up to the task?

I assume it's mainly a CPU-intensive game but I hear it's RAM or this or that. I need specifics really. My setup manages to play any other game maxed out, but that's probably down to the GPU.

Below are my specs. If someone honest can tell me what would be worth upgrading I will go out and get the parts tomorrow probably.

Desktop I built in 2008:

Core i7-920 "Nehalem" 2.4Ghz Quad
8GB DDR-3
Recently upgraded GPU (top-end ATI, not worth mentioning as it can handle anything..)
SSD (new as well)

The 920 is old but still, was top end at the time so has held its value/performance very well.

Would upgrading the RAM or CPU make any *meaningful* effect on late-game play? I get around a 20-30 second wait time at end game on Deity Europe. A huge earth map would probably be over the minute mark past industrial. The times reduce drastically if I switch on quick-combat..

But I dun wanna see quick combat!! :p

Why do people complain the turns are so long when the AI is moving? I would like to start hearing from some AI out there when the human takes over an hour.

The answer is: a newer computer with the latest hardware will show slight improvement.

Why do people complain the turns are so long when the AI is moving? I would like to start hearing from some AI out there when the human takes over an hour.

The answer is: a newer computer with the latest hardware will show slight improvement.

Hehe. I haven't tried playing multiplayer/online yet! Anyway, when you say "slight improvement" could you be more specific? Would ECC Ram or a server-grade CPU make a difference? Does the engine take advantage of 64-bit/more than 4GB Ram?

Thanks for your reply btw!

When vanilla came out it was supposed to take advantage of 64 bit OS and multi cpu cores. However, there is only one version of the game and it still is geared to older systems. Because it goes through steam and is automatically updated makes it even more difficult to have two versions IMO. Unless there is some option in steam or the game itself that will let you take advantage of newer technology, we are at the mercy of steam updates and however firaxis deems what it will allow users to adjust in the code.

Does the engine take advantage of 64-bit/more than 4GB Ram?
No, it does not. I've updated my PC lately, and I was hoping it will fix any lags with Civilization. But no luck. Currently my system have 64Gb of RAM, newest i7 CPU, SSD Stripe raid on SATA-III, and running freshly installed Win 8.1 64bit OS. But Civ5:BNW (steam version with all updates) still have lags :(
Still looking for solution to fix lags

Also, download a mod called Quick Turns in the workshop. It will allow you to disable AI automatic animations during turns to help reduce the turn time late in game.

Top Bottom