R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Ah yes, the Tiger II, it should be stronger than the iosif stalin tank.
Any chance of the Ratte? 1 movement only on roads!

It would balence. The Germans have insanely powerful but very expensive units, the allies spam weaker units. Just like in real life :D

Of course, the matilda would still be strong and a bunch can do it.

Man i love this mod. Only thing bothering me is the total weak air power. I will often dish out 30-40 points of damage in air sweeps, and i never shoot down any of the enemy fighters. Its like they heal way to fast or something, but it doesnt seem right. Being a pilot, especially a bomber pilot, was the most dangerous job, and they just dont seem to get shot down, either.
Im playing europe 1939 on emperor. Its almost 1944 and i have yet to see a fighter or bomber die.
:)

I know, it is very annoying.
It is supposedly something to do with attrition, which is total garbage!

ai fighter and bomber stop doing missions when they are low on health, that's why you don't see them die.

they don't heal faster than other units but generally the ai as a big reserve of units that take the place of the wounded ones.

but I may make them harder to heal by using more materiel and personnel.

I kind of figured the computer preserved the really wounded ones, but i never even see mine shot down. If the computer gets extra materiel and personnel, then making it cost more wouldnt do much, i would think.
Would a random chance of being shot down maybe help? I know it would really suck losing your best units this way though, maybe very experienced units have no or very low chance?
There is years of air battles with no kills going on here, lol :)

The computer does not get a lot more materiel/personnel than you, and none if you play Prince level (and less if you play below Prince).

And as I've said before, it would take months of daily heavy combats to wear down a complete bomber squadron.

See some numbers here and here for example.

I do think that the German A.I. needs greater motivations to build fighters. Currently, they only use what they start out with and never build more.

Yes, I'll look at that, maybe I will try to force the AI to respect some ratio on air units.

and Moderator Action: moved Atchkizz' post and my answer to the installation thread

Is switching around worked tiles a strategy or do you consider it cheap? I tend to min and max city production with Germany to maximize promotions and minimize expensive buildings. I can get 69 production from one German City and about 64 from Berlin. What are your thoughts on doing this?

R.E.D. WWII dll not enabled
it is because you are using the basic version without the Gods&Kings expansion
so download http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20340
unzip and that .dll then replace (after backing up) the CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll in the main civ5 directory
if you can't find it search for original CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll and rename it after that copy the one from the link above (zip)
this problem is typical if you are using the vanilla (basic) version without the expansion G&K
with Steam it's the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

Several thoughts/observations:
Russia currently has almost no production capability east of the Urals, giving it no real staying power once the major western cities have been taken. I would like to see the capability for Russia to build industrial production capability east of the Urals. Russia was entirely capable of moving populations and setting up new manufacturing centers to survive. That would allow Russia to fight a defense in depth while pressure grows from US/GB.

In conquered cities with the improvements required to recruit and produce infantry, how about an alternative "conscript" infantry unit with (say 25-30%) less strength? Germany employed quite a few conscript infantry units and they were invariably less effective than the regular troops. This would also serve to limit the growth in German/Japanese strength as they conquer new territory/cities.

The ability to buy units and/or buildings is great from a game standpoint, but not so good historically. As Germany, I can't resist the temptation to buy ships and production capability in conquered cities. As an example, by buying a factory and port in a city with minimal production, I can use gold to crank out submarines. This is just an observation as I don't know what really makes sense in this case.

I really like the addition of artillery/field guns

There will be a "project" to allow Russia to relocate some industries, yes.

I also think it would be a good idea to allow only some limited or special units to be build in conquered cities.

About gold, I'll see if it's possible to make some restriction on that as well.

@Gedemon/Parthius:

"Von den USA wurden über 400.000 Jeeps und LKW, 13.000 Lokomotiven und Güterwagen, 90 Frachtschiffe, 4.000 Bomber, 10.000 Jagdflugzeuge und über 7.000 Panzer an ihren sowjetischen Alliierten geliefert. Die Briten und Kanadier lieferten weitere 5.000 Panzer und 7.000 Flugzeuge."
-LandLeaseAct wikipedia

GDP of USSR/Nazi-Germany in years:
40: 417/387
41: 359/412
42: 274/417

As you can imagine from these plain numbers USSR had no chance to stand Nazi-Germany on their own. Especially crucial was the logistical support by locomotives, fuel, rubber, medical goods, explosives, trucks and cars. Of course without the imported tanks, fighters etc. USSR would have fallen even faster.

I strongly recommend to pronounce this fact ingame by more convoys and land convoys.

Sorry to step in on a thread...but the following quote hit a nerve given I have been doing some extensive reading recently for my own mod.

As you can imagine from these plain numbers USSR had no chance to stand Nazi-Germany on their own. Especially crucial was the logistical support by locomotives, fuel, rubber, medical goods, explosives, trucks and cars. Of course without the imported tanks, fighters etc. USSR would have fallen even faster.

I would question the validity of this type of view and the source in which the information was obtained. It is a recently emerging fact that with the exception of trucks and tanks (mostly in the first part of what the Russian's term the Great Patriotic War), the USSR had more than enough capacity, manpower and willpower (oppression of Stalin's regime?) to both outproduce, outnumber and grind down Germany in almost every way during the war. The military's capability was the reason for the disaster of 41 and the repeated mistakes of 42 and the first half of 43. Not its manpower or industrial capability.

Recent archival records, statistics and other sources within Russia documented by David Glantz, Walter S Dunn and Steven Zaloga (as a good starting point) clearly show this industrial and war economy advantage. The USSR was a pathetic military beast at the start of the war due to Stalin and his paranoia (purges).

However, by 1943, the USSR was well ahead compared to Germany in every way even with the loss of over 40% of their fertile land, industrial centers and population to German conquest. German industry was hindered by Hitler and his archaic system that ensured no one individual could hold more power than him. This was also evident in the German military where commanders would (more prominently in the later part of the war) be isolated from exposure of other armies and their operational objectives.

Another thing to note is that GDP is not an accurate indicator of a nation's industrial might or power during WWII. Germany's GDP would be higher than the USSR's given that its population had the means to earn and spend more during the war just like the USA and UK. The USSR's economy was purely geared to defeating Germany at any cost including working for food alone and not being able to buy any form of goods or services.

Prior to Albert Speer, Germany's industrial capacity was not even geared towards a true war mobilized economy and was still producing consumer goods (some might consider this a wastage of capacity). Contrast this with the USSR's low GDP industrial base which solely focused on winning the war.

To provide a simplistic example: Producing 500 civilian radios, 200 civilian vehicles and only 120 sophisticated PzKfw IV tanks a month does not contrast well to 1000 crude and unsafe T-34s a month.:eek: The figures I provide are generalized, but the example highlights what I mean. German civilians got trinkets during the war, Soviet civilians got 18 hours in a factory and hopefully a large enough slice of bread a day.

I encourage you to look further into this interesting area as it really helps put this enormous struggle into perspective. :)

A good starting point is this useful site: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/weapons/afv_production.htm#tanks41

Whilst I hate using Wiki as a source, this page contrasts the numeric superiority the USSR had over Germany even when subtracting lend lease: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_production_during_World_War_II

And finally, a simplified total of Lend Lease aircraft and tanks which demonstrates the small percentage the contribution played directly on the battlefield: http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Production/Russia/Lend-Lease.htm
NOTE: Rubber, medicine, trucks and 'other' supplies were vital, but the USSR did adapted and improvised when confronted with shortage. Fuel was never a real issue and natural resources were in abundance in the Ural region.

@wwIIcommander:

Oh my. I knew all the discussions, i had them on several forums. It's always about a penis competition. And it's always the same. Anyone who is in sympathy with USSR talks like you, many Hitler-romantics are talking about the poor and strong economy of Hitler-Germany. Really, I am sick of it.

I ask you: how much steel was fabricated in USSR at the beginning of the war? How much aluminium was produced? How many soldier-boots? How many explosives? How many locomotives? Eg during wwII USSR build LESS than 100 locomotives.

Be honest to yourself: cut the lend lease things from the table of content. Just the vehicled for logistic, the food and the cloth for soldiers. What's left are mighty ressources and productive capacities and last but not least many soldiers spread throughout the country. Take a look on the map of USSR und guess the distances. How would all the ressources get to the factories? How would all the lets say thousands of T-34 get to the front? How would all the soldiers survive or fight without 15 Million pairs of shoes and million tons of food and cloth? It would have been a total desaster in comparison to what it was actually. USSR economy had to emhpasize the logistical part of production instead of totally ignoring it. There are incredibly complicated issues to handle for all the cars, trucks, locomotives, ships and planes. They all need tires, spare parts, rails, engines and whatever. Have a look at the pure numbers and guess what impact it would have on the production of your mentioned vehicles/guns/whatever, if you had to produce, support and organize all the stuff that was delivered by lend&lease.

Honestly, you don't need a doctor title in history or economics to see why USSR let's say tankproduction reaches such a high level.

@edit: ouch... many -> much

Top Bottom