Will this Lenovo z510 run Civ 5?

skrazit

Chieftain
Hello, I'm new to civ 5 as well as this forum. I don't know a whole lot about computers so I would like to ask if this computer will run civ 5. From what I understand, it should, but I'd like to get the opinions of people more knowledgable. I'm not worried about graphics, so I don't mind if it will work smoothly on Low-Medium. For reference, here are the requirements as posted by the civ5 website:

Minimum Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Here are the laptop specifications:
Lenovo z510 - 59400191

Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3.10 GHz 400 MHz 3 MB)
Operating System:Windows 8 64
Graphics:Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
Display:15.6" HD LED Glossy 1366x768
Hard Drive:1TB 5400 RPM
Optical Drive:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

It will run it. You can also try any of the demos, there are three of them. Each one will give you a good example of how the game or the latest addition will run on your laptop.

I think it should run, with the regular caveats that large maps or too many civs would slow you down, especially in later stages of the game.

Do you already own the machine? If yes, try the demos. If not - by all means, don't buy a Lenovo. I have had very bad experiences with them and I know from colleagues and forums that I'm not the only one.

Thank you for your responses.

Sesquiterpene, what other computers would you recommend? This computer is currently on sale for about $570, which is for the most part the top of my budget. Would you have any other recommendations?

With those stats, you'll be fine. You can even play large maps and mods, but it's possible your framerate might be low.

There may be some issues with Windows 8.1 at the moment, but Windows 8 should work.

This is another version of the same laptop, but with a different processor. Is this one better/worth getting for basically the same price?

1st laptop: 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3.10 GHz 400 MHz 3 MB)
2nd laptop: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (3.40 GHz 400 MHz 6 MB)

Sesquiterpene, what other computers would you recommend? This computer is currently on sale for about $570, which is for the most part the top of my budget. Would you have any other recommendations?

Sorry for the late reply (why didn't the email notification work?).
I am no expert and not sure what to recommend. Lenovo are cheap relative to technically equivalent machines and in the past also had a good reputation. I have a bad experience with a much more expensive ultrabook which suffers from tons of small bugs. The annoying thing is that when you google the problems you realize that they have been around from over a year and that they fail to address them.
A colleague of mine just had to send back another Lenovo ultrabook that completely stopped working after less than 2 weeks.

Bottom line: Lenovo don't lie about the hardware. This machine will run the game like any other similar computer. But you may have to deal with many faults that in my opinion are not acceptable.

Top Bottom