Earth Map - Player Start Locations

I liked the way the Earth map was in Civ 4, where everyone started randomly around Europe/Asia and you could only settle the New World once you could cross oceans... but it's not exactly a huge deal, and I like playing on Earth with random starting all over the place as well. I bet this is one thing that is going to come as a mod, too.

There's no worldbuilder?

They SPECIFICALLY SAID there would be a world builder like two weeks ago. That's outrageous considering all the stuff that has been said about modability. If my game arrives in the post and I find there is no worldbuilder I will not be a happy man. Not having one would be simply unacceptable in a AAA strategy release like this.

I remember Firaxis saying they'll make an exception with your copy of the game.

This thread pretty much embodies the ridiculous nature these criticisms against Civilization V have taken. ..........occurred.

You cold save your time expressing your pointless defence in 2-3 sentences. That what was working just great in civ IV is not supposed to work in CIV V ? - bulX&$% That's the whole beauty of civ to simiulate history. That's what makes this game so different to fantasy / robo-future games and that's what hooks up so many of us. Not having historically defined starting location is a huge day 1 downfall...

While I personally prefer random locations on an Earth map, when the world builder comes out(hopefully soon), I'm sure someone will make a scenario for you guys if you can't do it yourselves. We'll be coming back to this game for years! If it's missing a few things at launch, that's not a big deal to me... Though I will be annoyed if the world builder takes longer than a month to come out.

While I personally prefer random locations on an Earth map, when the world builder comes out(hopefully soon), I'm sure someone will make a scenario for you guys if you can't do it yourselves. We'll be coming back to this game for years! If it's missing a few things at launch, that's not a big deal to me... Though I will be annoyed if the world builder takes longer than a month to come out.

I'll be annoyed if it takes longer than a week... heck, a couple days!

;)

Modders will make a superior EarthScenario within a few months. It's not easy, they spent the entire generation of Civ4 to perfect their maps.

I think a scenario where the world is approximately correctly divided could work.
Assuming we want modern reality, we just have to transpose a few countries and duplicate others.
For example, Songhai, Egypt, and whoever else get Africa, but there would be like 3 duplicates of Songhai in Africa.

1. America gets the US.
2. Arabia gets Saudi Arabia.
3. Aztecs get Mexico.
4. China gets China.
5. Denmark gets itself, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
6. Egypt gets Egypt.
7. England #1 gets The U.K and Australia. (sorry, had to compress to 22 nations)
8. England #2 gets Canada.
9. France gets France.
10. Germany Gets Germany.
11. Greece gets Greece and Italy.
12. India gets itself.
13. Iroquis get Brazil.
14. Japan gets itself.
15. Korea #1 gets South Korea.
16. Korea #2 gets North Korea.
17. Ottomans get Pakistan.
18. Persia gets Iran.
19. Rome gets Spain.
20. Russia gets Russia.
21. Songhai #1 gets Libya, Tunisia, and surrounding area.
22. Songhai #2 gets south and southern Africa.

City states are placed to fill all other inhabited areas. Also, A militaristic city-state allied with America is placed in Israel, they get a lot of starting weapons, including the best nukes, planes and infantry around.

America is allied with the England(U.K.+Australia), England(Canada), the city-state of Israel, South Korea and Japan, as well as a looser alliance to all European countries.

The Both Englands are allied with each other, America, All European countries and Japan. U.K.+Australia England is friendly to most other countries besides North Korea (total trade embargo), Iran (Ottomans, neutral), Libya, and some middle-eastern and African city-states.

China is the only country agreeable to North Korea.
North Korea HATES most other countries. Especially South Korea and the U.S.A.

All euro-countries are mutually allied, but have their own allies outside Europe, some of which fight each-other.

Military is distributed as follows:
America gets a lot (40 units, perhaps) of modern aircraft, artillery (30 units of modern artillery) and tanks (around 50 units of modern armor) and roughly 50 Units of mechanized infantry. They also get 22 units of aircraft carriers containing the majority of their air units. All carriers are very high level. They have access to the best air units available. Finally, the U.S. gets 60 ICBMs, and 15 atomic bombs. Also, they have near-total naval dominance wherever they are.

Arabia gets around 40 units of mechanized infantry. They also get a small number of tanks (perhaps 15 units, antiquated), artillery (15) and 15 units of modern aircraft.

Aztecs (mexico) gets around 30 infantry and some aircraft (~10 helicopters).

China gets a 60 units of conventional infantry and 40 units of mechanized infantry. They also get about 20 modern and 10 antiquated units of of aircraft. They also get 10 ICBMs and 5 Atomic bombs. They also get 30 tanks and 10 modern armor.

Denmark has 10 mechanized infantry and 10 aircraft of various types.

Egypt gets 25 units of infantry and artillery (10 antiquated) and a small number of aircraft (perhaps 5 units of antiquated fighters and bombers). They also have barbarian-infantry in their borders which they must defeat.

England (U.K.+Australia) gets about 15 mechanized infantry,10 artillery, 15 aircraft and 20 tanks. They also get a large navy and around 5 ICBMs. Finally, all of their units have received several promotions to begin with.

England (Canada) gets about 5 mechanized infantry, 5 artillery, 10 aircraft and 5 (modern) tanks.

France gets about 15 mechanized infantry,15 artillery, 15 aircraft and 15 (modern) tanks. They also get a large navy and around 5 ICBMs. Finally, all of their units have received several promotions to begin with.

Germany gets about 10 mechanized infantry, 5 artillery, 15 aircraft and 10 (modern) tanks. Finally, all of their units have received several promotions to begin with. Germany has fully researched nuclear weapons, but has none.

Greece (combined with Italy and connecting region) gets about 15 mechanized infantry, 10 infantry, 20 artillery, 10 aircraft, and 10 modern tanks. No nukes, however, are present and advanced ballistics is yet-to-be researched.

India gets 70 units of conventional infantry and 30 units of mechanized infantry. They also get about 5 modern and 15 antiquated units of of aircraft, 30 units of modern and 30 units of antiquated artillery, 30 units of conventional tanks and 3 ICBMs.

The Iroquis (Brazil) get 30 mechanized infantry. 20 modern aircraft, 10 modern tanks, and 10 modern artillery. They posses the technology to make nuclear weapons.

Japan has 8 mechanized infantry and 10 aircraft. They could produce nukes at any moment and have a large number of nuclear plants in operation. They do not however have advanced ballistics.

South Korea has 20 mechanized and 80 non-mechanized infantry, they also have a small number of modern tanks (20), modern artillery (20) and aircraft (30). They have no nuclear weapons.

North Korea has 120 infantry. 20 tanks (antiquated), 40 antiquated artillery and 10 antiquated aircraft. They also possess 2 atomic bombs and one anachronistic (unresearched) nuclear missile.

Ottomans (Pakistan) get 20 units of conventional infantry and 10 units of mechanized infantry. They also get about 5 modern and 10 antiquated units of of aircraft, 20 units of modern and 20 units of antiquated artillery, 20 units of conventional tanks and 3 ICBMs.

Persia (Iran) gets 60 units of conventional and 20 units of mechanized infantry. They also get 15 antiquated units of aircraft, 20 units of modern and 30 units of antiquated artillery, 20 units of tanks and start with an atomic bomb part-way through production.

Rome (Spain) gets 20 units of mechanized infantry. 15 artillery, 15 aircraft and 15 (modern) tanks. They do not have nukes but have researched atomic theory.

Russia gets 60 mechanized and 240 conventional infantry, 50 modern tanks, 40 aircraft, 30 artillery and 100 ICBMs. They also have a strong navy.

Songhai #1 (Libya) gets 5 units of infantry, 3 of which are mechanized. They also get 5 antiquated tanks, 5 antiquated aircraft and 10 artillery. They have no nuclear technology and are at war with nearly everyone.

Songhai #2 (South Africa) gets 5 units of mechanized. They also get 5 antiquated tanks, 5 modern aircraft and 5 modern artillery. They have atomic theory but do not, at present have any nuclear weapons.

The city-state of Almaty (Israel) gets a relatively large territory (~60 tiles) filled almost completely with military units, 20 mechanized infantry, 10 modern tanks, 15 modern aircraft, 15 modern artillery and 8 ICBMs. All units besides 1/2th of the infantry are promoted more than almost any others in the world. It also is allied with America.

Remember that just because a military unit exists doesn't mean it won't have to be disbanded in order to pay for something, America makes 1/4th of the world's gold. Europe combined makes another 1/4th. Far-east Asia makes 1/4th (with Japan making 1/3rd of that and China making 1/2. India and several city-states make up the remaining 1/6th.) The entire rest of the world (Canada, Africa, Mexico, The Middle-East and South America make up only 1/4th combined.)

EDIT: Just realized one would probably need legion or something in order to store this many soldiers. There is no way Israel or worse Iran could actually hold that many troops unless they took most of the middle-east.

Ok, uh.. if one cut all numbers of soldiers by 80%, probably would still fit without legion.
Of course, that means Libya would get literally 5 military units, only one of which is infantry. Also, nukes should only be halved, rounded up.

Top Bottom