SMAC new game trouble

usnavyet

Chieftain
I'm an old gamer, bought SMAC when it was first released, loved it. Just recently bought the SMAC/SMAX combo from GOG. Installed no problem, played a warmup game as University, and got conquest win. Exited out of that game to start a new one. My original pod landed, started first base, opened construction window, and saw tachyon needlejet with reactor two. I had all my units from the game I won available on first build! Exited game and restarted, same thing. I had to delete all saved games and then start new game. Even then it seems like research is moving a lot faster than first game. Anyone seen this before, or am I just the lucky one? :lol:
Any help would be appreciated!! :goodjob:

Welcome to CFC and the Alpha Centauri forum!

What you saw is a known bug. I'll try to find more information (such as how to work around it).

Interesting, I had never seen that bug. Is it specific to a version?

The bug I was thinking of is described on this page, in the section titled Start with Advanced Units. It seems similar to usnavyet's situation. It may also have been discussed many years ago on Apolyton. However, I can't reproduce it, or usnavyet's problem, on GOG's versions of either SMAC or SMAX. Perhaps the bug occurs only under certain conditions.

@usnavyet -- Do you still run into this problem with new games? If so, please post save files of both the prior game (the one from which you inherit the advanced units) and the first turn of the new game. Thanks.

OK, Petek, I will do that. But i have to finish this game first. I deleted all my saved games last night so as to be able to start a normal game. Looking at your link, I may have seen a problem. Years ago I never used any cheat codes. Thinking it through, I've actually started 3 games. The first one I tried too high a difficulty for a first (in many years!) game. I was doing ok, (as University) but was running out of energy. I entered a cheat code for more energy, but after a few turns decided to resign game and start fresh. The one I won was actually the second game, and there was a save game for 'undo cheat' or something like that. That possibly caused my bug. I will finish this game (without cheats!! :blush: ) and see what happens then. Thanks for all the help!!! :D:D

Glad to try and help.

I figured out how to reproduce the bug mentioned in the above link:

* Start either SMAC or SMAX.
* Go to the Load Game menu and select a game in which you acquired advanced techs.
* Select OK.
* In the resulting box, select CANCEL
* You should be returned to the LOAD game dialog. Select CANCEL again.
* From the main menu, start a new game in the usual way.

Open the Design Workshop. You should see advanced units available to build.

This bug was discussed in the Apolyton thread Fixing SMACX Bugs, but it was decided not to fix it

:thumbsup: Thanks for feeding the Yitzi. I swear I'd love to get him to sign up here - it would save me the occasional running back and forth more than one trip copy/pasting quotes when something up his alley arises here, which happens several times a year. But, you know - not everybody wants to do those multiple citizenships...

Top Bottom