V36

Freeze is supposed to be only bug fixes. Bugs like spelling, CTDs and the wrong thing appearing in the wrong tech. Tweaking of values in one object is borderline but when it is a whole set, then IMO it should wait.

I do make exception for translations, they are OK to add during a freeze.

Well, unless Sparth messes something up, localisations can't hurt the codebase. :)

Yes we are in a freeze.
Another example of people ignoring me.:lol:.

I agree, just consider what happened before V35. A freeze announced and then BG - made all the civic changes (to combat gold problems), before proper discussion and testing. Which then had to be reverted later.

I thought the freeze period was about not adding new features, and that balancing and bug fixing was mostly okay (Joes changes are only about balancing as far as I know).
So only bug fixing during freeze; got it.;)

I think that what DH is saying is that Joes additions are modmods and are not in the core game. So during the freeze, they are considered as new addition. Even if they work 100%, they should not be added as thet change gameplay and not fix bugs.

Not until these "movement" CTD's have been found and fixed, i cant even play right now :(

Plus i believe Joe wanted to add some of HIS stuff to the SVN, but was waiting for approval, so if you start the freeze he "should not " be able to add then???
You posted an actual save and not just a minidump so I might have better luck. It's just a tough zone already riddled with issues that require the master level guys to sort out.

Yes we are in a freeze.

Another example of people ignoring me.:lol: I find at least one controversial. These are exactly the "not so minor" changes you should not do when in a freeze because there may be unexpected consequences with how they interact with each other and other components of the mod.

I would be OK with Joe's three and the civics and promotion changes going in after the release of v36. I am still totally against the Hunting one.
No problems from me with Joe's works and the civics one could certainly be interesting - probably quite good. But I'm very unconvinced about the value of creating such narrow upgrade path channels among promotions. I'd REALLY need to see that in play and since I'm quite fond of the promo structure as it stands (with a few exceptions I'd like to work on eventually) I have strong doubts I'd appreciate it. However, the healing level changes in that modmod sounded awesome so I'd really like to see that extracted into the main at least.

And I think the Hunting one is too severe to be core as well imo. It's probably kinda fun but what I've read tells me it would be a fairly extreme experience.

Nevertheless you're right about the freeze. It really should mean freeze for last minute absolute fixes. Yes, there are some crashpoints that should be worked on still. I also have a list I was looking at the other day of things that should be worked on before release that I put aside a while back. Most of it just feels like downright homework unfortunately. Like small projects with huge setup times just to get into it.

Even bugfixes can have unwanted game breaking side effects. It would be nice to have a freeze without any other changes and only real bugfixes this time because V35 was a real mess. That should not happen again this time, everybody who thinks a freeze is boring because they can add stuff please play a few test games and look out for bugs instead of working on new stuff to commit right after the freeze.

There some (416 files) ART files outside FPKs that IMO shoul be moved to FPK before V36. Mostly Buttons and units.

As I said in another thread all my stuff can wait. Just gives me more time to recheck some things and make adjustments.

JosEPh

There some (416 files) ART files outside FPKs that IMO shoul be moved to FPK before V36. Mostly Buttons and units.

Yes, all ART files need to be in the FPK's, thats not making changes to anything, as long as like alberts2 said, nothing gets added.

Yes, all ART files need to be in the FPK's, thats not making changes to anything, as long as like alberts2 said, nothing gets added.

No. The optional module art should be in the module that is optional so it does not get loaded if you have turned the module off.

Also, AFAIK, there is both a limit to the size and number of FPK files you can have before things start breaking down.

Also, AFAIK, there is both a limit to the size and number of FPK files you can have before things start breaking down.

That limit negligible for us because even when FPKs was 2x bigger then now they still was "playable".

No. The optional module art should be in the module that is optional so it does not get loaded if you have turned the module off.

I thought he was talking about the "regular" art folder, the ones BEFORE we add them to the FPK's??

Even bugfixes can have unwanted game breaking side effects. It would be nice to have a freeze without any other changes and only real bugfixes this time because V35 was a real mess. That should not happen again this time, everybody who thinks a freeze is boring because they can add stuff please play a few test games and look out for bugs instead of working on new stuff to commit right after the freeze.

I'll try working on some known bugs that I KNOW won't introduce issues if fixed. The simple stuff.

But I AM trying to find time to plan out some improvements still throughout this time so it would be quite a while before I would be ready to start committing anything really 'new' anyhow.

I'm a little behind on the times (haven't "actively" been hanging out here for 3 years but have been popping my head in every few months for a quick read), when is the current freeze due to end?

Also I remember back in my day here people complaining that this game was like caveman2crusaids being unbalanced and buggy after the middle ages. Is this still the case or have we progressed from that point?

I'm very happy you guys are so dedicated and have continued to work on this amazing project!

I'm a little behind on the times (haven't "actively" been hanging out here for 3 years but have been popping my head in every few months for a quick read), when is the current freeze due to end?

Also I remember back in my day here people complaining that this game was like caveman2crusaids being unbalanced and buggy after the middle ages. Is this still the case or have we progressed from that point?

I'm very happy you guys are so dedicated and have continued to work on this amazing project!

My current Game has hit the Ren Era and I'm in 3rd place involved in 2 wars and have a treasury of less than 500 gold with research slider at 60% on Emperor Difficulty level. I see this game making it into the later eras easily.

JosEPh

The freeze will probably end about a week after we decide we can't fix any of the remaining bugs quickly or that they require to much change and should be held over until the next release. It will give those fixes time to be bedded in before the next release...

In theory we would be ending the freeze next week. Which means it is time to decide if we can fix the remaining problems or not.

Thanks for the info, couldn't wait though and downloaded the current SVN (only took 30 minutes from scratch). I'll be playing through at snail pace (not game speed, just in tiny scraps of my free time as I miss the good old days of playing this).

You guys got multimaps/moving to moon/mars in later game going or you still working on the early eras and base of the game currently? I don't mind either way, just interested to know and glad that you guys dedicate your free time at all to work on this.

Multimaps will probably come out some time after Half-Life 3.

Multimaps will come when C2C is completely balanced and stable.

Which is to say, a fairly long time. But one day! One day, we'll colonize the Moon! I'm telling ya!

Top Bottom