Barbarian Civs, yes or no?

MacCoise

Prince
Just wondering who plays with Barbarian Civs on and if you do whether you start with Barbarian World on.

I normally play Eternity/ Huge with maybe 24 civs. I like to have some barbarians to make sure there is some action straight away.

I am inclined to not start with Barbarian world though as it creates too many cities which increase a lot when they start spawning. I am actually experimenting with turning on Barbarian Civs at Sed Lifestyle which might be fun, not too sure what the various "New World" options mean where I pay with Start everywhere

So what you recommend for game with plenty of challenges from the beginning but doesn't end up with too many barb cities or Civs?

Am I right in thinking that Raging barbs also increase the number of animals?

Barbarian Civ Option spawns barb cities that if they survive become Minor Civs that if they survive become New Civs

Barb World places a Barb city on the map at game start for Every Civ in the game. You wanted 24 Civs so you would also have 24 barb cities at game start. Might want to reduce your number of starting civs down a bit.

I am inclined to not start with Barbarian world though as it creates too many cities which increase a lot when they start spawning. I am actually experimenting with turning on Barbarian Civs at Sed Lifestyle which might be fun, not too sure what the various "New World" options mean where I pay with Start everywhere.

Barb World places cities at game start No more spawning after that.
Barb Civ Spawns Cities.

How do you "turn On" Any Game set up Option at Sed Life? UNless you are trying to start the Game In Ancient ERa instead of Preh Era?

Iirc, if you select Start Everywhere New World Options should be disabled. Is this a GEM map? Or Perfect Mongoose Map?

So what you recommend for game with plenty of challenges from the beginning but doesn't end up with too many barb cities or Civs?

Am I right in thinking that Raging barbs also increase the number of animals?

1st ?: 12 AI with Barb World.
2nd?: No

JosEPh

Barbarian Civ Option spawns barb cities that if they survive become Minor Civs that if they survive become New Civs

Barb World places a Barb city on the map at game start for Every Civ in the game. You wanted 24 Civs so you would also have 24 barb cities at game start. Might want to reduce your number of starting civs down a bit.

Barb World places cities at game start No more spawning after that.
Barb Civ Spawns Cities.

How do you "turn On" Any Game set up Option at Sed Life? UNless you are trying to start the Game In Ancient ERa instead of Preh Era?

Iirc, if you select Start Everywhere New World Options should be disabled. Is this a GEM map? Or Perfect Mongoose Map?

1st ?: 12 AI with Barb World.
2nd?: No

JosEPh

Thanks. Yes, think I need to reduce number of Civs or drop the Barb world.

I turn on the option in World Builder/ Game options.

It's a Perfect Mongoose Map

"Barb civ" should not influence the number of barbarian cities spawned, it should only turn barbarian cities that reach a certain population into minor civs with a small chance of success at every end of turn process.

@Joe:
I thought "raging barbs" also affected the number of animals spawned, am I wrong?

Barbarian World is the poor option to choose, as the AI struggles with lots of barbarian cities on the map. Plus it adds more cities to the game and that's one of the fastest ways to slow down turn processing times (the other, of course, being huge numbers of units).

Barbarian Civ is as Toffer points out and I think is by far the superior option. After all, if (as in my previous gmae), you have a separate area of land overrun with barbarian cities, a whole new culture should spawn from them, rather than remaining disunited and powerless forever.

"Barb civ" should not influence the number of barbarian cities spawned, it should only turn barbarian cities that reach a certain population into minor civs with a small chance of success at every end of turn process.

@Joe:
I thought "raging barbs" also affected the number of animals spawned, am I wrong?

I'm not sure now. Been awhile since I used raging barbs and DH has done a lot of work there. Maybe it does now. Isn't Neander and animal spawns seperate files than Barb spawn?

JosEPh

Raging Barbarians did affect the number of animals and Neanderthals spawned but they now have their own base spawn rate defined in the A_New_Dawn global defines file.

Barbarian Civ makes the game easier for the player because the way barbarians are at the moment they are just another ai nation. One more interested in developing and claiming lands that attacking all players like they should.

Why would BarbCiv make the game specifically easier? That's the one that transforms them into proper civs.

I play with Barbarian Civs but not Barbarian World. The latter creates extra starting barb cities and I don't see the point to that right from go. But the first seems cool to me to sort of show how your own civilization may have emerged. The newly emerging civs that barb cities can develop into on this option rarely get a decent shake at winning but they do spice the map a bit imo.

The point of Barb World is can you survive the barbs very early in the game. And if you can't wipe them out they are constant buggers because it seems they get better units right before you do. And if they make it to Classical era they are fielding armies that you can't ignore.

It has it's challenges.

I stopped using Barb Civ for the very fact it does create new Civs and I try to keep the number of AI below a set level for later game play and EoT waits.

They both have their Pros and Cons as Jimmy Fallon would say. But overall I don't use either like I used to.

JosEPh :)

I tend to use BarbCivs and Raging Barbarians, but not Barbarian world, and starting with just me on the map. It does imply I get an early advantage, but aside from unit xp and prehistoric wonders and religions, it's not all that huge.

Barbarian cities start appearing on the map about halfway through the prehistoric era, and evolving into civs around about when I get Tribalism or Chiefdom. However, because the barbarian civ gets free techs based on what techs other civs have, and I'm the only one around, they get all my techs, and therefore so do the new civs. Which means new civilizations spawn with their cities having most of the buildings mine do, and researching straight towards Sedentary Lifestyle or Tengriism or something else I want to get first. Then they usually get one or two nearby barbarians cities for free through another part of the Revolution mod, making up for my tribes.

It seems to work well, as it doesn't matter how good I go in the early game, the new guys get a bunch of stuff, as opposed to starting off with other civilizations and either getting an immediate advantage or being left behind.

Of course, I use the Revolution.ini file (in UserSettings) to set MaxCivs to 11, so I don't end up with 50 civs and a huge turn wait.
(There are two MaxCivs values in the file, one for barbcivs the other for revolutions, so remember to set them both.)

Top Bottom