Expansion #2 Wishlist

Emerald Melios

Chieftain
What kinds of things would you like to see in another expansion?

Some things I'd like to see:

• Return of the Babylonians (Hammurabi as leader, Ziggurat as unique building)
  • Other new civs: Austrians, Cherokee, Polynesians, Dutch, and the Huns
  • New terrain features: Marshland, canyons, salt flats, and volcanos
  • Ability to improve Deserts and replant Forests
  • New Resources: Salt (w/ mine), Bison (w/ pasture), Turkey/Junglefowl (w/ pasture), Cotton (w/ plantation), Coffee (w/ plantation)
  • Palace screen
  • Ability to pick which religion to found at each associated tech (and some new religions)
  • Improved naval and modern warfare

I want to see the Vietnamese! =P

Aside from that, much more development on the naval and air combat.

A slight dip into futuristic weapons would be cool--

A-bomb, tactical nukes, cruise and anti-ship missiles. Chemical and biochemical missiles would be a nice twist.

And, possibly super weapons...sort of like Stonehenge from AC04 (massive AA coverage in one city and high effectiveness). Maybe a wonder that produces a certain number of "super nukes" every so often. Maybe another wonder like the ion cannon satellite from C&C.

Super units would be cool too, like a huge battleship with ungodly strength (Bismarck). Underwater submarine like in WWII. I dunno, the list goes on there as well.

I'd like to see:
Nuclear Submarine w/ missile capability brought back.
Serious Aircraft Carriers, maybe with Naval Aviation as a great work needed before using them, and different aircraft.
Anti-Aircraft tanks like the Tunguska or Gepard.
Rocket Artillery like the MLRS.
Transport Helicopters and Paratroopers.
UUs for both Ancient eras and then for Modern eras.

Workers can build Trenchworks like Roads, but they impede mobility (100% for Infantry; 50% for vehicles).

In the "Big Vision" thread I voiced the idea for a Spin Doctor in the Advisors qeue-- spending money on Media Spin can increase your Diplomcay or Culture in certain situations, with bonuses if you have things like Mass Media, Broadcast Tower, Internet (maaking it more useful), Hollywood, etc. Also include "24-Hour News Service" as a great work to further the efforts of Spin. Maybe build Reporters as well as Spies, for each Reporter you pre-position in a contested city you get some Spin advantage, etc.

If various countries could get their own skins for things like Tanks and Aircraft to more adequately reflect their RL origins... I am not a programmer so I dunno if it would be easy or not to give, say, different combat values to things like the T-80 vs. M1A1 vs. Challenger, etc... if so that would be awesome so long as they are balanced. Otherwise, just the visual variety, with the same combat values, is cool.

Obviously this complicates the game a lot, and this is stuff that comes in towards the tail end when the game is largely won, either by conquests already accomplished or Culture, Space Race, Diplomacy, etc... since I suspect most of us play for "just...one...more....turn" this will allow for more fun in the post-victory realm.

- Enemy units continuously flashing in the minimap or main window.
- Right click on a tile to schedule an improvement by the next free worker.
- Quicker end to wars by negotiation.
- Appeasement prior to war: "Give me this or I will declare war."
- Ferries to reduce micromanagement of unit transport in ships.
- Missionaries can convert barbarians and cities flip to you. If the conversion fails, the barbs are more likely to attack.
- Great Farmers.
- Food improvements like greenhouses for the tundra and desert irrigation.
- Food buildings like a commodities exchange to give +1 food.
- Units should give a slight cultural border increase for a tile. Stationing units could help maintain cultural borders.

- New civs: Mayas!, Babylon, Portugal, Hebrews
- New unit abilities: Battleships should be able to bombard coastal tiles like in real life, that would make naval warfare much more important.
- New terrain features: Volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes (could halt city production for couple of turns, reduce a bit population, destroy some tiles or damage units inside city), etc
- New technologies (not too much): Nanotechnology, Globalization, Meteo (could tell you when and where a hurricane is coming so you can get prepared, for example)
- Colonies with small cultural influence so no one can grab it just by settling next to it
- More diversified city graphics for each region and each era
- More spy options: Steal technology, propaghanda (one that is useful, especially during war time)
- Embassies!
- Palace screen! :old:
- Some diplomacy tweak: I dont like the UN in CIV, forcing all civs to adopt Free Market or Free Religion is really unrealistic and it doesnt make the game more "balanced". The ability to create a Union (you could choose the name) between some Civs for some diplomatic, economic and military benefits, votes inside the union, etc, would be better I think. Many factors would influence the possibility of that, of course, like distance between civs, diplomatic relations, religion (diplo +/-), favorite civics(why not 2 favorite civics for each leaders?).

Thats it for the moment :)

I like you ideas Markus5, except Great Farmer because I think this would unbalance the game, food is so powerful in civ

A revamp of the vassalage system. As it stands now, there is no incentive for a vassal to ever give in to a "master" leader's demands. He/she can't even declare war on them for disobeying!

NikNak said:
A revamp of the vassalage system. As it stands now, there is no incentive for a vassal to ever give in to a "master" leader's demands. He/she can't even declare war on them for disobeying!
That's a job for a patch not a new expansion. It's wrong to be forced to fork out money to fix a problem with the old expansion - that should be done free of charge.

for new civs - I DONT WANT TO SEE MORE EUROPEAN CIVS - more american civs, and more modern american civs (if we can have USA why not mexico or brazil? brazil sounds good). Not only are ther3e too many europe civs for gameplay issues, the Earth24civ europe is already overcrowded to the point i dont play it. Need 2 leaders per civilization.

I don't care what you say, I want hitler in teh game. It'll never slide, and it'll never be put in, I'm just railing against the way the system works.

I dont think Hitler should be in the game, its to sensitive to too many people. Why stop at that, put Mussolini, Hussain, Osama Bin Ladin, etc..

I kind of want to see Phoenicia or some other "new" civ that hasnt been used before. There really isnt a need for the Hittites, Sumaria, Babylon, AND Persia in the same game (not to mention the generic Arabs).

1 feature I always joked about was a use for the unused land between cities. I like how civ 2 had options to build Airbases, et al... not just "forts".

I want to see less of these threads. :rolleyes:

1) Sumeria
2) Forts: prevent pillaging of surrounding tiles when occupied

EW

Emerald Melios said:
  • Ability to pick which religion to found at each associated tech (and some new religions)
or to create your own, but with restrictions so that the concept stays intact ( like the English did with the Angelican church )

AriochIV said:
They'd have to introduce a new "insane megalomaniac" leader trait.
Yes, I know.... Stalin would get the same trait.
You've beaten me to it, but if Stalin is in the game why not Hitler ... I recall having seen that character in a CIV 2 scenario

Edgecrusher said:
I dont think Hitler should be in the game, its to sensitive to too many people. Why stop at that, put Mussolini, Hussain, Osama Bin Ladin, etc..
It probably would be indeed.
But just for the record Osama has never been at the head of country. Mussolini and Hussain actualy did.
And since CIV is all about that ...

Edgecrusher said:
I like how civ 2 had options to build Airbases, et al... not just "forts".
I'd like to see that again as well :)

• stop working with a timer, that you're bound to reach, implementing a wonder that rivals with the space ship
  • a beter balanced diplomacy menu (you can go and do the same things as the oppent)
  • beter surrendering deals (gold, maps, tech, troops)
  • being able to raise the ground
  • make the nukes more like nukes instead of domolition crew in rocket form
  • allowing to set cities building priorities (explore, discover, build, conquer)
  • an extended tech tree, with more futuristich techs
  • a tech tree that allows you to aim your research one way rather than the other

Well, most of what I want is connected to the poll regarding what your most boring era is-and solving the boredom issues. So:

1) Revisit Civics and Religion. They are pretty good, but could do with improvements. We could do with more civics categories and options, and the existing options could be better balanced (just look at my Sig ;) ). Religions should require both a tech AND a Prophet to found, and thus there should be buildings a person can construct to produce Great Prophet points prior to the discovery of the religious techs. Additionally, the religious civics could be greatly expanded to help mimic 'doctrinal' differences which have often existed within specific faiths.

2) Have Ideologies in the post-Medieval eras. They could work almost identically to religions, but with certain Ideologies restricting certain civics options and what set of UN resolutions can be sponsored.

3) Restrict the terrains which certain pre-Renaissance units can enter-outside of cultural borders-thus giving players more to do in later ages.

4) Allow Barbarian States to eventually 'evolve' into Minor Civilizations-with whom diplomacy can be conducted.

5) Give Spies extra abilities-and promotions-and allow them from earlier in the game.

6) Give navies and airforces their own set of promotions, abilities and specialities, to truly seperate them from ground units. Also, make the AI much better at USING them.

7) Introduce new victory conditions, like Religious and Ideological. Help make the AI better at pursuing ALL the various victory types (not just the spaceship).

8) Some extra units, Techs, Wonders and Improvements-but mostly in the Industrial and Modern ages.

8) Give us plenty of scenarios which fully test all of these new additions (so mostly Late-Medieval on).

Aussie_Lurker.

All the stuff so far sounds good. I personally want forts to regain their 'zone of control' ability frim Civ 3. If not that then I want an entire section of the Civ 4 2nd Exp. manual dedicated to why the good folks at Firaxis decided to retain a game feature only after removing the one characteristic of that feature that make it worthy of inclusion in the game at all. Now I know this may already have been explained (possibly even in this forum) and even if it is I would still like a personal hand written and delivered apology from Sid for the mismatched CD labels fiasco, a disaster that cost thousands their lives. Now I know some of you are prolly saying, "But Sid has nothing to do with the manufacture of the physical CDs and is therefore blameless." Those people are communists.

I forgot the name. Vodoo warrior like in Civ3 Conquest that can take over any warrior or worker. Also nice to see any worker that can protect himself.

Also guerrilla, that can enter and attack another civ without declare a war. Rambo style, 1 man in the jungle or forest can hit 10 army...

Regards,
Arto.

Pitboss said:
You've beaten me to it, but if Stalin is in the game why not Hitler ... I recall having seen that character in a CIV 2 scenario
I'm guessing it's because putting Hitler in the game will cause it to be banned in a variety of locales, whereas putting Stalin in will not.

No one said that politics had to be logical.

...Gotta admit though that a caricature of Hitler would make an amusing leaderhead. :D

Top Bottom