The Germans!

Dong2Long

Chieftain
Hello, what a surprise to find an enclave of RTW players in the world of Civilization.

The Germans are probably the most powerful faction, as any decent RTW player doubtless knows in their heart. Even with the castration of the Germanic cavalry with the knife of Patch 1.5, the German phalanx spearmen, the Gothic Cavalry & Light Cavalry, the magnificent fighting archers which mow down hordes of anything and finsh them off hand-to-hand, and unstoppable infantry all totally devastate any foe, especially early game. Make that only game, since when playing against Germans, you will have no late or even mid game to tell tales about. The Germans are even more powerful with their veteran production and the single-turn archers.

Since I'm new here I'll ask one a question: what is your most favorite German unit -- the backbone of your Germanic domination of the RTW world? :)

Barbarian Cavalry
Gothic Cavalry
Spear Warband
Chosen Archers
Chosen Axemen
Night Raiders
Berserkers
Screeching Women
Barbarian War Dogs

... Veteran 2. They just annhilate almost everything before them for the first part of the game, and are a key to rapid conquest of 40 provinces after you negotiate 6-12 provinces (or make some protectorates along the way). The dirt cheap maintence cost is icing on the cake.

But the Chosen Archers a a fighting macine to behold... versitile and powerful, and can hold their ground, yet be produced quickly and cheaply (for their power). :king:

in what difficulty level do you play in with germania? these barbarians arent that good in the thoughest levels you know....mediterranean cultures (Rome, Greece, Carthage, Seleucids, Macedon and Egypt) can easily kill pretty much everything you throw at them...

The thing that makes the Germans better than the Gauls to me... are 2 units,Gothic Cavalry & Spear Warband. Gothic Cavalry takes 2 turn, and comes "late" (not at outset; takes building of temples which is time). But the drab Spear Warband can ensure the Germans stand and defend, or hold the line, while the archers (later in game) and cavalry do their job. Gauls have Barbarian Cavalry, too, and Epona, but no spear, and the warcry takes "finesse" in battle to use the most effectively.

I agree about the low maint. cost of double chevron Barbarian Horsemen. However, many also may not realize they are not disciplined like Equite, and this means that in certain battle situations (maneuver on the field through enemy unit, and maneuver in city streets) their lack of discipline can cause them to get into battle when you did not want it (the crazy ivan straggler, e.g.).

I've always liked the Chosen Axemen. I've used them, but with my incredible military spending (incredible as in a lot), the German economy just can't support it. Oh they're good, don't get me wrong, but I believe a unit of Spartan Hoplites can take any other phalanx in the game no problem. Also, with regards to cavalry, I am more inclined to choose the cavalry from North Africa and Turkey (i.e. Cataphracts and various light cavalry from Africa).

I'm also running Rome Total Realism, which greatly alters things up. For the better I think, you should give it a shot.

Rome Total War.org, not .com.

Top Bottom