Official System Requirements

Bearing in mind laptops are rarely marketed as gaming platforms, I think mine MIGHT fit in... *just*

Hopefully Steam will have a free weekend or promo to allow me to test (allowing for differences between Demo and final release)...

But I got an older HP 8710W (GT649PA) -
Quadro FX 1600M 256Mb
Intel T7700 Duo Core 2.4Ghz
4 Gb RAM
Win 7 x64

Might be able to run on low settings I guess... Either way, hopefully I'll be looking at a new PC (Getting an i7 Desktop) in about 8 months...

I agree with those posting that the graphic requirements on Civ4 and Civ5 are getting out of hand. I certainly don't play this game for the eye candy, and couldn't care less about maxing out all of the graphic settings.
That being said, it's good to know that my iMac meets the recommended requirements. I'll be running this via Boot Camp on a Win7-64 install.

I agree with those posting that the graphic requirements on Civ4 and Civ5 are getting out of hand. I certainly don't play this game for the eye candy, and couldn't care less about maxing out all of the graphic settings.
That being said, it's good to know that my iMac meets the recommended requirements. I'll be running this via Boot Camp on a Win7-64 install.

But people don't want a repeat of CIV 4 where they had a graphics card but due to shader or something not featuerd you got black ground/ sea.

I have an AMD Athlon x2 235e Dual-Core Processor 270GHz, 6GBDDR2 memory. I upgraded my power supply to 430W and added a 1GB graphics card.

These were my ratings to play Napoleon Total War, which passed easily at, can you run it.com. But my Video card could be better. I need DDR3.

ATI display adapter (0x9498)

Video Card Features:
Video RAM = 3.7 GB
Hardware T&L = Yes
Pixel Shader version = 4.0
Vertex Shader version = 4.0

CPU Speed
2.71 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.2845 GHz

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit

Would this be enough to play CIV5? Is the processor good enough?

Luckily I just got a new pc so I should be able to meet recommended specs :)

CPU: Intel core i5 quad processor i5-750, 2,66 GHz
Graphics:Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5
Memory: 4 GB DDR3

You do :yup:.

ATI display adapter (0x9498)

That doesn't say anything about the video card.
Everything else seems to be okay, but the video card would be needed.

Is my laptop good enough (if it isn't i'll be really annoyed seeing as it's new)
[...]

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
Up to 1405MB HyperMemory

Video card is new enough, but a weak version. Will probably work.

Quadro FX 1600M 256Mb

That's not a gaming card, it's a proffessional video card (and not the newest one), it's not really meant for playing. You should wait for the demo.

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c
8 GB on the harddrive!?! WTH? Civ4 only required 1.7. Why so much? My guess is that DLC bloats the instalation. Everyone has to store that stuff on their machine regardless of if they buy it or not. What a waste of space. And wasted time virus scaning etc. Then all that extra bandwidth consumption for those who download the game. Made worse by the reinstalls that steam will cause. Oy. Another nail in the coffin. Civ5 is so dead to me its not even funny anymore. I keep hoping for some news to change my mind. But it only gets worse. :(

8 GB on the harddrive!?! WTH? Civ4 only required 1.7. Why so much? My guess is that DLC bloats the instalation. Everyone has to store that stuff on their machine regardless of if they buy it or not.

The D in DLC stands for downloadable, so it is not part of the install. This claim is just ridiculous.

What a waste of space. And wasted time virus scaning etc.

This too is just plain ridiculous, in the day of 1 TB hard disks the space and 'time spent scanning' are negligable at best.

Then all that extra bandwidth consumption for those who download the game. Made worse by the reinstalls that steam will cause.

Yep, downloads will take a few hours, why would Steam cause reinstalls however ?

Oy. Another nail in the coffin. Civ5 is so dead to me its not even funny anymore. I keep hoping for some news to change my mind. But it only gets worse. :(

The only thing that does seem to get worse is the ridiculous arguments and claims in the forums, your post is perfect proof of that.

Mamba, there is precedence for DLC being pre-installed. When you purchase that DLC you purchase a key to unlock stuff that you've already installed. So do you really think the vanilla game requries 8 GB of HD memory? Whats your theory as to why this install would be so bloated?

Mamba, there is precedence for DLC being pre-installed. When you purchase that DLC you purchase a key to unlock stuff that you've already installed. So do you really think the vanilla game requries 8 GB of HD memory? Whats your theory as to why this install would be so bloated?

Art, Sound, Movies, whatever. Most DLC is actually downloadable, there may be exceptions, although I am not aware of any. The only DLC encounter I had so far was when I bought Dragon Age, it was a pain to get for whatever reason. Never did manage to download it in game, I ended up getting it 'through other means' after several unsuccessful attempts to use their servers which ended with the keys being used but the DLC never making it to my PC. That pretty much ensured that I got none of the DA DLCs which have been released since....

I guess there may be the stuff on the DVD which is in the Deluxe edition (Soundtrack, additional civ, etc.) so they do not actually have to have two different disks, just two sets of keys, but that is about the extent of what I expect (why that would be installed is unclear to me however, most of it will probably never be DLC).

I certainly do not believe the next 3 or 4 expansions are already on the disk, just waiting for you to buy them when they are released over the next 18 or so months.

So what is your take, that there is already 3-5 GB of DLC on the disk that Firaxis/2K will release over the next 2 years ? That sounds implausible to me, which means the space used up by Civ5 is indeed the space Civ5 needs, not some future DLCs.

Unfortunately 8 GB isn't that odd for a modern game. I just looked at my hard drive for older games and BFME2 is 5.5 GB and C&C3 is 6.9 GB. Those games are from March 2006 and March 2007 respectively.

There'll probably be a very small portion of DLC already installed (like Babylon), but most of the civs will probably be designed and created later for download.

Plus it's been confirmed that there'll be Win32 and Win64 versions, and most likely those will be downloaded and installed and then the game uses the right code at runtime.

Hello.
I think that those system req. are too high.They remind me about Dragon age : origins.
They're almost the same:(

They are high indeed. My 3 year old system just meets the minimal specs. Although the game is gorgeous, I'd have hoped that a strategy game like Civ5 would not be toooo demanding.

Welcome to CivFanatics, MoonFlare.

HOLY SHI-
The requirements are really high. The minimum requirement CPU is what I was going to upgrade to.
Looks like civ5 will be super slow on my computer. ._.

They are high indeed. My 3 year old system just meets the minimal specs. Although the game is gorgeous, I'd have hoped that a strategy game like Civ5 would not be toooo demanding.

Welcome to CivFanatics, MoonFlare.

Thank you!
They are high even for modern-day RTS(Starcraft 2,Sins of a solar empire).
And Civ5 is a TBS...

You managed to post here at least 3 times with one hour, seems to me you will have no trouble registering online ;)
well and you are posting messages even without reading what I wrote :confused:
read again my previous 3 post you mentioned before starting writing smart-ass replies

well and you are posting messages even without reading what I wrote :confused:
read again my previous 3 post you mentioned before starting writing smart-ass replies

I chose to ignore the rest because it was not to the point I was answering to, but if you feel I should address it, here goes ;)

"1. I am not selfish, thinking about myself only"

Don't think that everyone else is having the same concerns / obsessions as you do. Speak for yourself, do not try to make yourself more important by claiming you also speak for other people.

"2) don't like protection that forces me to use something extra, install some crappy software, tracking me etc. - leading to mega-crap protection ubisoft-drm-style when you cannot play without 70kb/s+ constant connection"

Comparing Ubi-DRM to Steam is just nonsense, I am not buying any Ubi game until they get more reasonable again, Steam is a one-time activation. They are nowhere near the same.

"3) the protection will be cracked in matter of days after release anyway so it will affect only honest legal buyers"

agreed

"4) i could understand having steam to play online but it has no understanding for home/single player, and it is not better protection than having simple key"

Because of the Steamworks integration of Civ I assume, as to what the benefit of that is, I have no idea.

There, satisfied ? ;)

I don´t think graphics & sound are the issue here (though they probably make up most of the 8 GB of HD space). I believe the AI is what is pushing the processor requirements up... Remember that it now runs on four different levels: unit movement, army strategy, empire management, and overall victory strategy -if memory serves me right-. Plus, now there are city-states, which is probably like having double the number of civilizations. Makes me wonder if multiplayer may run faster than single player :confused:

i have a MacBook with Windows 7 installed using Bootcamp.

Specs:
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
256 MB VRAM

Tell me what you think. I'm sure the game will work, I'm just wondering how well it will work.

So to me it is perfectly understandable that many people will be / are surprised by how poorly the game will perform on their recent laptops. I definitely was not surprised by how low they were (in fact they are higher than I expected), esp. since the expectations had already been set to low requirements based o some previous comments.

This is nothing new, PC's are not TV's, they are a highly flexable and powerful tool. Yes TV's are simple, they all do the same thing so all you have to do is look at size and resolution and price and decide what you want within that window.

But PC's give you alot more and a "PC" is not just one tool it is many tools, from desktops to netbooks to ultraportables to desktop replacement laptops, in this we have business/productivity laptops/desktops and home computers and mid range gaming rigs to high end gaming rigs.

So if you are serious about buying the right computer( and I'll include Macs in the "PC" category for general purposes) then it is your duty to learn at least A/ what are your needs, and B/ what categories of computers meet those nees.

If you are unwilling to put this basic effort in then yes you are going to be *susprised* that your brand new laptop is absolutely incapable of running anything but Facebook games.

This happened when Civ4 came out as well, people with brand new but business/internet class computers with Geforce2 MX cards that clearly were not capable of any hardware T&L, and no chance at running Civ4. And they were shocked too. But a little homwork would have avoided this. And I don't mean becoming a computer geek, just a well informed consumer. Most people put a fair bit of research into buying a car before they hit the lots, but don't put any thought in before they hit the computer stores.

Laptops are even worse, unless it has the word Gaming on the cover, you are for sure getting an integrated intel graphics solution. Why? Because laptops are expensive to start with and integrated chips bring down the cost, plus they are low power and have a low thermal signature, which when you have limited cooling options in a laptop design is something the engineers jump at.

So I don't blame 2K/Firaxis for setting realistic system performance specs for a 2010 game, yes it may very well run on lower systems than the min, but for legal reasons 2K can not say that officially or they will have 1000's of players complaining that there systems met the spec and have X problems running the game.

Just my 2 cents though.

CS

i have a MacBook with Windows 7 installed using Bootcamp.

Specs:
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
256 MB VRAM

Tell me what you think. I'm sure the game will work, I'm just wondering how well it will work.

That is pretty much in the middle between min and rec specs, so you will be able to play Civ5 no problem but might have to turn off some eyecandy to run it well, and especialy in large maps were your 2 gigs of RAM might be the wall.

CS

Top Bottom