NEW PATCH - December 19

Very underwhelmed. Normally it takes me a day or two to get my mods updated to work with the patch because of all the changes made, but there's basically nothing in here that changes the single-player game at all. And while multiplayer games are fine, there are two major considerations here:
1> Civ began as a single-player game, and it still lives and dies by the single-player experience.
2> Mods don't work in multiplayer, and a big part of what makes this game remain fun are the mods; I haven't played a non-mod game in months. (Okay, I'm biased as I've made my own mods to play, but still.)

If this was the big upcoming patch, then I'd say they've clearly moved on to other projects and we shouldn't expect much in the future; a few more DLCs, the release of the DLL, and then it's on to Civ6. If it's not, if this was just a quick multiplayer fix and there's still a big content patch on the horizon, then their timing just sucks.

still no mod support for multiplayer ?!? ... It makes me laugh when I go back, like 1.5y ago, and recall Jon Shafer words that Civ V will be so great Multiplayer game and MOD oriented too. And what have we got
- no mod support for multiplayer
- stupid AI
- MOD API still not finished yet (not everything is moddable as it was in Civ4)
- looooads of DLCs instead of proper expansion
- even more DLCs !

Civ V is DEAD. Long live Civ IV (again)

they did something with the between turn animations - apparently they turn off display updates - cursor turns to windows normal pointer/hourglass for a few seconds [different thread(s) for calculations?] and then BOOM - new turn with all AI units quickly dashing towards their new position simultaneously...

I feel like between turn time has improved - decreased ...

Surprising that turnbased multiplayer hasnt showed up in this patch. Seems like the clickfest is fine with most players. Not with me though... Too bad.

No, I myself and several other players are not fond of the clickfest interface CivV multiplayer currently has...

If I recall correctly, they said this was going to be a multiplayer-focused patch and relatively small. The big news they said would be announced the first half of next year (I forget whether it was early next year or Spring of next year for the announcement)...I fear people may be conflating the two in their heads.

I am pretty sure the big news will either be an expansion (e.g., rule-changing DLC) or release of the full modding suite. I hope it's a rule-changing DLC that adds spies back, but I'd also accept the full modding suite gladly.

Wow, great patch Firaxis :p
Where are the new civs, the actual new content, the tons of bugfixes that are long due?
Aaaaand, most importantly: where are the DLL files for the modders??

So 2 months and this is it...

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just registered to say that I am ecstatic over the MP fixes. I still play SP, but my friends and I have been really disappointed by the MP game instability and turn times... this is the update we've been waiting for since launch.

I'm excited to try it out.

This can't have taken 4 month's worth of developers time, surely?
September, october, november and 2/3 of december...and that is all we get?
So 2 months and this is it...
I'm glad that they have fixed Civ5 so much from release, but it still has a ways to go.
Yeah, I have to say I feel the same as you guys.

Although I'm pleased to see continued efforts to keep fixing Civ5, I feel like I've been waiting a long time and this patch doesn't seem to justify the time I've been waiting.

Hopefully the devs were working on this patch as well as another, more substantial patch in parallel with it, so sometime in late 2011, or early 2012 we'll see a big update that'll address most of the remaining issues. That's what I hope anyway :( .

Finally I could play Civ V on my Mac with my friends on Windows. Could this really not wait to be ported to Mac too?

Hopefully the devs were working on this patch as well as another, more substantial patch in parallel with it, so sometime in late 2011, or early 2012 we'll see a big update that'll address most of the remaining issues. That's what I hope anyway :( .

At a guess I'd say there is probably 50-100 small logical bugs in the AI right now. A slab of those we could legitimately request that they be fixed free of charge. However as for a really decent improvement in the quality of the AI, I think we Civfanatics should start to adjust our thinking towards having to pay for that in real cash as a substantial upgrade. This is because we bought Civ5 knowing it was going to be 1UPT and we knew that it was probably too difficult at the time to write a decent AI for 1UPT, so we knew what we were buying. To write a quality 1UPT AI is going to take some serious computer science, which means a really highly paid programmer on the Firaxis team, and we the gamers will have to pay for their wages.

Cheers

I wouldn't be getting too upset because a patch was released that didn't cover certain aspects. It's better than no patch. If they were obliged to add in single player changes before they release multiplayer fixes, the patch would presumably be delayed even longer, with multiplayer still experiencing those problems in the meantime. Okay, this doesn't affect the game much for me, but it doesn't have any sort of negative impact either. So what's there to be upset about?

At a guess I'd say there is probably 50-100 small logical bugs in the AI right now. A slab of those we could legitimately request that they be fixed free of charge. However as for a really decent improvement in the quality of the AI, I think we Civfanatics should start to adjust our thinking towards having to pay for that in real cash as a substantial upgrade. This is because we bought Civ5 knowing it was going to be 1UPT and we knew that it was probably too difficult at the time to write a decent AI for 1UPT, so we knew what we were buying. To write a quality 1UPT AI is going to take some serious computer science, which means a really highly paid programmer on the Firaxis team, and we the gamers will have to pay for their wages.

Cheers

While this is probably the case, how did the expectations of the gaming public sink this low?

'Give it 4 years, a dozen patches, 10 DLC packs and 3 expansions and it'll be where they said it would be at release...'

It's kinda like running to the tree on Christmas morning...opening the huge shinny present you've been hoping for and getting a BIG GIANT f-you from Firaxis for Christmas :mad:

If I recall correctly, they said this was going to be a multiplayer-focused patch and relatively small. The big news they said would be announced the first half of next year (I forget whether it was early next year or Spring of next year for the announcement)...I fear people may be conflating the two in their heads.

I believe official word was "in the next few months," but I might be confusing that with dll. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think the dll would be the big news given the timing of the various announcements, but Greg has been known to hype something up, release it quietly, and then confuse people about whether that was indeed the big announcement.

Sounds like the readers here might know the answer to this ...

In setting up an MP game, if I click the private game button, the game seems to be so private that my buddy who is trying to find it can't see it. And I never get a screen to establish a password.

Am I missing something, or is that function just broken (or is non-existent the better word)?

dV

well, there is probably a clue somewhere in the patch to what is upcoming... someone hinted earlier that there are fixes in the patch that aren't talked of in the disclaimer...

Facepalm. Sorry, but I can't hear it any more!

OK, this patch was not yours. Mine nither!

But why should this be an indication, that CiV is dead?
Sure, the change-list is not two pages long. But do you know, who difficult it might have been to find and correct all these MP issues?

I don't play MP and therefore never will see, if it is improved "significant". But *if* they fixed it successfully, thousands of MP-players will be cheerfull and CiV is more alive than ever for *them*.

I say: Guys, have fun with your MP-patch!

the reason why he says that civ 5 is dead that this patch took 4 months
and it didn't change the diplomacy and AI for single player

Yeah it change multiplayer but it took 4 months imagine how long it will take to finish diplomacy I thinx it will never happen.

Does this break mods? Specifically VEM and CivWillard?

I dont thinx so they didn't change the tech tree or unit strenght so VEm should work perfectly same with civwillard I thinx

I hope the next (free) patch will improve the diplomacy and AI behaviour. It kind of destroys the single player experience for me. Every game feels like the same IMO.
I mean you can change your leader and stuff but it is NOT that big of a difference.
:D
This whole game is like eyecandy and stuff, looks nice but it lacks of depth and complexity, which would increase its replay value.

The first few games were amazing (like 100h gameplay) but in the moment there is no reason to keep playing it. The graphics and music is awsome, but yeah, that was it.

But hey at least i can now load the last savegame instead of switching, searching and loading.
:D:goodjob:

Yeah I have the same feeling it is a game with great ideas but they didn't finished it properly I thinx it has a better game design and diplomacy design then civ 4 but it doesn't work because the AI is to agressive and is programmed to win ..

Top Bottom