Top 5 best special units for war in BNW!

B.A.Start

Chieftain
What do you guys think are the best special units for war mongering in BNW? The can be from the OG civs as well!

1. The Siege Tower
2. Musketeer
3. Pathfinder
4. War Elephant
5. Ship of the Line

Just off the top of my head

What do you guys think are the best special units for war mongering in BNW? The can be from the OG civs as well!

1. The Siege Tower
2. Musketeer
3. Pathfinder
4. War Elephant
5. Ship of the Line

Just off the top of my head

1.Keishik
2. Khans
3. Chu-ko-nu
4. Ship of the Line
5. Siege Towers

I love the siege tower. It provides its siege bonus to OTHER siege towers, you can't get more OP than that.

I've always found these units very useful when war mongering.
In no particular order:

1. Mandekalu Cavalry (No penalty for attacking cities and has an amphibious promotion. And it's a mounted unit, yay speed!)
2. Keshiks (Shoot, kill, run, repeat. It's that simple.)
3. B-17 (Harder to kill, harder on the cities.)
4. Siege Tower (My God are these things strong.)
5. Sea Beggar (A few of these and you're enemies will have no coastal cities left!)

Honorable mentions:
Berserker: (Stronger, can embark after landing and has +1 movement. These guys will wreck coastal and inland cities.)
Turtle ship: (So much stronger than a caravel, they will decimate enemy coastal cities, assuming they aren't too far away.)

I've always found these units very useful when war mongering.
In no particular order:

1. Mandekalu Cavalry (No penalty for attacking cities and has an amphibious promotion. And it's a mounted unit, yay speed!)

Out of curiosity, do these have Amphibious inherently, or because of the Songhai UA? This matters because of e.g. military CS gifts.

Keshiks
Horse Archer (doesn't require Horses, start with the Accuracy I)
Battering Ram (comes too early)
Siege Tower
Janissaries

Out of curiosity, do these have Amphibious inherently, or because of the Songhai UA? This matters because of e.g. military CS gifts.
yes, because of the Songhai's UA.

Kris swordsmen with the restlessness upgrade (+1 movement, extra attack).

Too bad they are so hard to get...

1. Impi
2. Impi
3. Impi
4. Impi
5. Impi

EDIT:

Alright, alright, seriously though.

In no particular order as they're all somewhat situational (can't build all mounted vs an army of spearmen, etc.)

Keshiks
Impi
Cho-Nu-Ko
Foreign Legion
Jaguar

Honorable mention to Battering Rams as you can easily cap an early city state/undefended enemy capital if you pop a lucky hut with a warrior

EDIT 2: Bear in mind I also consider the lasting bonuses of these units. A jaguar upgraded to late game units, IE a self-healing offensive sword/musket/rifleman? Yes. Please.

1) Keshiks
2) Keshiks
3) Impi
4) Keshiks
5) Battering ram

1) Longbowman - Artillery in the Dark Ages? Yes, please.
2) Cho ku Nu - 2 attacks = 2x Exp. Have you ever got +1 range with them?
3) Keshik - No need to explain why they are powerful.
4) Hwach'a - It can put a unit from 100 to 0 in just one hit. Impossible to invade Korea while they are available.
5) BNW Foreign Legion - Have anyone got these while your neighbor is still building musketman?

I didnt played Zulu yet. Maybe Impi will mess with this list...

No particular order

Early game:
Ballista
Pathfinder
Siege Tower
Horse Archer
Impi

Mid game:
Sea beggar
Ship of the line
Camel archers
Longbowman
Keshiks

Late game:
B-52
Dutch destroyers upgraded from Sea Beggars :)

In a vacuum the Impi might not quite cut it, but as Shaka with Honor you essentially get to cheat and nothing survives. You still need a couple CBs to do the dirty work eventually but just the 3x unique upgraded spears (nascent impis) are monsters that can easily sack AI cities and even take out a nearby CS if carefully exploited. I still needed a couple CBs to crack the tougher nuts while waiting for Impis but when I finally teched Civil Service and upgraded my 6 spears to Impis the game was over. I have 4 capital cities by ~turn 150 on Emperor and I was a complete run away at that point and this was nowhere near an optimal start. Sure I was scum of the earth and everyone hated me but it's not like they could actually do anything about it.

Keshiks still rule the planet purely because they're marginally better city-takers, but Impi's are right there as well and dovetail nicely with the early spearman war you get to wage essentially giving Zulu a longer window of utter dominance. That's the thing, Zulu spearman should almost be considered their own UU. 3 move and a pile of combat bonuses make them silly even before they turn into monster Impis. And even though I am not there yet I am salivating at being able to upgrade my Impi to rifleman. That's the disgusting thing. Shaka has martial dominance through the entire game with these insane units that never stop getting better.

In a Vacuum the Keshik is superior and one could say due to the Khan the Keshik has another semi-bonus, but man it's hard not to respect Shaka's soup-to-nuts martial dominance.

1) Camel Archer
2) Keshik

Nothing else even comes close. As a distant third, fourth, and fifth, though—

3) Siege Tower
4) Ship of the Line
5) Longbowman

I was playing culture game with Morocco and I must say Berber cavalry are beast! Assyria attacked me and I simply crushed his big army. Berber cavalry have +50% strength in desert and +25 % strength in own territory. Combine this to other promotions and Kasbah +50% defense penalty and you are pretty much unbeatable in your own land.

I was playing culture game with Morocco and I must say Berber cavalry are beast! Assyria attacked me and I simply crushed his big army. Berber cavalry have +50% strength in desert and +25 % strength in own territory. Combine this to other promotions and Kasbah +50% defense penalty and you are pretty much unbeatable in your own land.

I thought mounted units didn't get defensive bonuses from forts like they don't get them from rough terrain. Has my civ life been a lie? :p

I like the Naresuan's Elephant because... well, look at it. It's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute. Keshiks and Camel Archers are dirty cheaters. If we're talking generally, and just not Pangaea, why has no one mentioned the Dromon?

Top Bottom