Top 5 best special units for war in BNW!

1. Camel Archer (less flimsy)
2. Keshik
3. Ship of the Line
4. Longbowman
5. Turtle Ship (for straight up combat, its OP, only 5th because its a melee naval)
6. Impi
7. Janissary
8. Immortal (early rush tank units)
9. Naresuan's Elephant
10. Chu-Ko-Nu

Assuming no scout, just build worker, barrack, 4 horse archers, 3 battering rams? That needs about at least 80 turns on standard speed. By that time the AI would easily get 4 cities, swordmans and crossbowmans already. You were probably very lucky with your scouting with the warrior. On deity when my scout start going around the AI usually get minimum 3 cities with plenty of units already. Unless you are using some mods to nerf the AI or lucky enough to get Venice opponent I dont think it is viable in most game dude.

On emperor, I went tradition, built a second city and had cleared out my continent by turn 130 (killing the Mayans, Incans, Dutch and Moroccans). I even got Borobodur, and the Oracle. I struggled with gpt and happiness for quite a while though. I am now taking the other caps with frigates and battleships. All the city states are my allies because barb camps spawn in all the dark areas, and there is no one else to kill the camps. I only used horse archers, battering rams, my starting warrior and my scout turned archer for the conquest. Maybe 7-8 horse archers by the end and 3-4 rams. Pastures on cows are great (though I only had 1 of them, and no other pastures in my cap, just riverside plains and copper).

1 Camal Archer
2 Ship of the line
3 Impi
4 Horse Archet
5 Keshik
6 seige Tower
7 Cho Ku Nu
8 Berserker
9 Hoplite
10 Battering Ram

Cho Ku Nu
2.5 times power of its upgraded unit... double XPs... 28 range dam VS 18 for crossbow (already best regU in the game MOST IMPORTANT, CARRY OVER THE DOUBLE ATTACK wich make it valuable to built as much archer, compbowman and CKN as you can

Long Bow Man
Crazy thing! Very felxible... incredible in defense... Extreamly valuable when attacking both to defend your key units and attack cities

Ship of the line
just for the fact that they are significantly better than Frigate, wich already dominate their era and that you will have to live with them for a very long time before discovering Battleships

Camel Archer
Read Keshnik... no XP bonus, BUT 25% more fire power! NICE!!! You can keep those for a LONG TIME!

Keshik
if you dirve them well... they will kill tons of units and rarely get injured... plus they will rack up tons of promotions!

This is not a super insightful list. I play a lot of Civ 5, but there are some civs that I've played more than others so this is all based off of my personal experiences. The list is longer than 5 but I prefer to warmonger in my Civ 5 games so I apparently have a lot to say. Also I play on Prince mostly...

1. Keshik
The most godly UU of them all, although Camel Archers come very close. To me, the additional movement point matters more than the additional attack power, as that allows the Keshiks to better maneuver and strike where needed. This is an advantage that's hard to quantify but it's there!

2. Camel Archer
Similar to the Keshik, but trades a movement point for more attack power. Honestly I probably should fold the two units into the #1 spot as they're both just really good, for mostly the same reason and I would enjoy using either when given the chance.

3. Longbowman
Longbowmen are basically the Rocket Artilleries of their era; high firepower, standard mobility, 3 attack range and can attack after moving. They don't require any strategic resources, so you can spam them quite a lot!

4. Ship of the Line
Frigates are already pretty solid, so how about a Frigate that has more attack power and more vision so that it doesn't necessitate a spotter or scout? That's a Ship of the Line. In tandem with some Privateers or Caravels, you can take out enemy cities and enemy navies very quickly. Though most of these reviews are just for the units by themselves, the +2 movement bonus to ship units from England's UA also helps Ships of the Line get the first strike.

5. Horse Archer
A very capable ranged unit that's available very early. Doesn't suffer from big movement penalties and doesn't require Horses like the Chariot Archer, so it can be spammed quickly. It's just as strong as a Chariot Archer, but not being constrained by terrain and resources works out quite well (also having bonus promotions is nice).

6. Chu-Ko-Nu
I want to be able to like the Chu-Ko-Nu more, but to me the Logistics bonus is a little awkward. With only 2 movement points, the Chu-Ko-Nu would have to stay in place in order to make 2 attacks and it doesn't have the ability to siege cities safely like the Longbowman does. Generally I prefer to be able to kite with or rotate my ranged units when needed, and Chu-Ko-Nus are a little better there (they can move after attacking thanks to Logistics), but I still prefer Keshiks/Camel Archers/Longbowmen with that in mind.

7. Impi
Without Ikanda bonuses, the Impi get an additional ranged attack before attacking and a bonus against gunpowder units. The additional ranged attack is awesome, for sure, so Impis are still better Pikemen, which are decent for melee units. With Ikanda bonuses involved, Impis start becoming absolutely terrifying in open spaces and unit vs unit combat. 3 movement double attacking melee units that don't really care about ranged attacks? Yeah that's pretty awesome.

With that said though... Impis are still melee units. Melee units have some pretty nasty problems that ranged units don't have to worry as much about (more details spoilered for length).
Spoiler :
a) Ranged units can fire over other ranged units to focus fire a target, whereas melee units are more likely to crowd each other out and can prevent other melee units from attacking a target. This is actually less of a problem for melee cavalry, as they can move after attacking, freeing up the hex for another unit to move in.

b) Ranged attacks don't trigger counter-attacks, but melee attacks will suffer counter-attacks from other melee units, ranged units and cities, so melee units grind down much faster.

c) Terrain penalties for melee units are just so much worse for them than for ranged units. So sometimes terrain might obscure the attack range of a ranged unit, which forces them to make attacks at close range. Melee units are already limited to attacks at close range so that doesn't seem like a super big deal. The other terrain problems for melee units are quite bothersome though. Melee units need to move in order to make a close range attack. They might lose multiple turns having to move through dense terrain or over rivers in order to get to their targets. They might also have to fight from terrain that gives defense penalties, such as deserts or marshes. Ranged units don't necessarily have to make those kinds of compromises, and are more likely to be able to camp terrain that gives defense bonuses.

d) Zone of control is a thing.

I keep some melee units around since I will need them in order to actually capture cities. But in my experience, when it comes to survivability, damage output and efficiency, ranged units of similar tech tier are going to perform much better than melee units will in those categories.

8. Battering Ram
+300% attack power against cities is no joke, and since Battering Rams are melee units, they can crush and capture in one move. They're also available very early on in the game; in fact it's technically possible to get a "free" battering ram from a goody hut (you didn't really need a Warrior did you?). However they can't attack units normally (can counter-attack though) and they're melee units.

9. Siege Tower
Siege Towers make a lot more sense design wise than Battering Rams do... but to me they're not quite as fun, nor are they available quite as quickly! They fulfill the same role that Battering Rams do though. I think I'd much rather have a Battering Ram or a Siege Tower over a Catapult when it comes to taking cities.

10. Jaguar
Jaguars are actually pretty cool. They aren't hindered as much by jungles and forests when it comes to combat and mobility, and they heal hit points afer killing an enemy unit. So compared to other melee units, Jaguars aren't as impacted by terrain and don't grind down quite so fast. They also replace Warriors, and their bonuses are promotions that pass on to upgraded units, so it's actually great to make a few Jaguars and have Musketmen/Riflemen running around tirelessly. They're good for unit vs unit combat, but still not so good for taking cities.

Man an awesome melee unit would be:
- Can move after attacking
- Ignores Zone of Control
- Ignores terrain penalties like Scouts do
- Has at least 4 movement points
- Can heal on kill like Janissaries and Jaguars do
- Has March
- This is extra, but only spends 1 movement point to embark or disembark ;)

I only put 1 sea unit on my list, but honestly sea warfare isn't a big deal until Privateers/Frigates, when Ships of the Line show up. Dromons I like using, and though I haven't put Sea Beggars to use that often they do have a very neat set of abilities.

Also, looking through the Civ 5 wikia, War Chariots are actually just as strong as Horse Archers and Chariot Archers. But they also have +1 movement and don't require horses! So I think I will try warmongering with Egypt in the future. War Elephants are also pretty good! They do have -1 movement compared to Chariot Archers, but they're more like Composite Bowmen that have +1 movement and are available earlier (War Elephants are in fact as strong as Composite Bowmen and don't require Horses either!).

My top 10 on LAND are
1-Horse Archer
-Required nearly nothing: You got free tech, you dont need horse, you spam them from the beginning. Prepare to meet and fight Horse Archer in first 30 turns, can you do it ?
-Ranged + Mounted Unit: All units like that is best for pre industrial wars.
-Free promotion: quicker to get Logistic. AccuracyI help you fight the naval unit too.
2-Kes "Sick" and Camel Archer
-Ranged + Mounted Unit.
-Upgraded from Chariot Archer: They can carry the promotions and quickly be powerful in Medieval, no need XP farming.
-Kessik somewhat stronger, because Mongols have Khans.
3-Elephant Archer and War Chariot
-Can get Early: They are Early Powers, strong almost like Horse Archer, but suffer some disadvantage about Requirement.
-Also being Ranged + Mounted Units.
4-Longbowman and Chu ko nu
-They are special Ranged Units that get 1 free one of important Promotions for Ranged Units (Range and Logistic). Longbowman is better when siege warfare (siege or defending the sieged), while Chu ko nu is better when spam and fighting on the battle field or melee units.
-Continue the Range units tree, they are still useful when upgrade for late game.
5-Impi, Siege Tower and Battling Ram.
-All those units are very unique, they are the most fun to use in land and siege battles.
6-Slingers
-Incan Slinger is quite useful, with the Incan UA, they are very useful. Move and shot on hills, when you are being under attack, you can withdraw. They are the best amongst Ancient Ranged Units.
7-Jaguard
-If you want to kill other civ early with melee Units, Jaguard is the best choice. No others Melee unit can do that better, even Roman Legions.
-OTOH, Jaguard help you clean the Barbcamps quickly, help to increase Culture, very powerful in early games when Cultperturn are small.
8-Khan
-The Only Special GG, no need to talks about them.
9 and 10-Panther and B 17
-Those are too late, but truly can change the tide of battles, if the Nukes are neutralized.

Keshik/Khan, Chu-Ko-Nu, Siege Tower.

Though I'm also partial to the Ethiopian UU (forget what it's called).

Funny we all say the same thing, ain't it?

Keshik
Camel Archer
Impi

Obviously.

As an Englishman South of course I love the Longbowman and Ship of the Line. Give me three men'o'war and a caravel, I'll present you any AI coastal city in three turns.

Just saying.

Forgot Pathfinder!!
Relly freakin good!
If you a re a minimum lucky and discover 6-7 or 8 ruins you can get a freakin nice kickstarter!
plus they are sturdy enough to face barbarians and help you resit to early assaults.

Classical Shoshone start is to get
20 culture pts X 2
2 Free Techs
and 2 extra citizens from ruins!

I can live with that!

They get no love because they're the only good thing about Byzantium, but in a vacuum, the Dromon is incredible for early war-making.

And the Kris are just underlined melted beasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been playing with Ottomans lately. I have to say that now my favorite UU is a UA. Ironclads with prize eat up everything.

Gah, autocorrect. Underloved beasts. No idea what even became "melted" there. Also forgot that I'd responded to this thread already like a year ago. Anyway, though, in no order what I'd say are my favorites for War-mongering (with my emphasis on enjoyability, mind you) are:

Kris: As I've said a million times, the buffs are enormous, and the debuffs rare and extremely easy to work with. Enemy Blade? Stick them behind as garrisons in newly conquered cities. Evil Spirits? throw 'em in front to soak up damage and take cities. These stay useful for a crazy-long amount of time, and because the buffs are promotions, they upgrade pretty nicely as well. Roll an archipelago map and start fighting for all the iron!

Dromon: It's a ranged naval unit ages before Compass, and the only one. What's not to love, here? Even if you're not doing an early war, you can actually fuel Honor and Piety properly because you can culture-farm better than anyone else can.

Jaguar: As perfect a jump-start unit for Aztec as could be envisioned.

Ship of the Line: Frigates are fun. Frigates against an AI that deprioritizes Naval techs are more fun. Lightning-fast Frigates that can eat up all other Frigates are the most fun of all, and ultimately a bigger asset to me with England than even Longbows.

Keshik/War Chariot/Horse Archer/Camel Archer: Fine, I'm not a fool. Hit-and-Run is crazy strong and fun to pull off as well.

"I would pick Mongolia and build Keshiks" - TheMeInTeam on PolyCast

so, basically, yeah

#1 Horse Archer
#2 War Chariot & Elephant
#3 Camel Archer & Kesheik
#4 Longbow
#5 Chukonu
#6 Ship of the Line
#7 Impi
#8 Berzerker
#9 Companion Cavalry

I put chariot units that don't require horses on top because you are guaranteed to get to them and use them. They can devastate anyone near you without fail. Camels and Keshieks are vastly superior but they are much harder to obtain. It is likely you will get teamed up on or rushed if you are Arabia or Mongolia and never get to them.

This from a long time ago.

Early Game

Horse Archer

Cataphract

Pictish Warrior

Mid-Game

Longbowmen

Ship of the Line

Impi

Camel Archer

Janissary

(keshik's do NOT make my list, they are too flimsy for combat, especially in MP, i would prefer Camel Archers any day.)

Late Game-

B17

Winged Hussar

Explanation for my hate of Keshiks, and Mongolia in general.

There is a better version of them, known as Arabia. They have better Keshiks, known as Camel Archer's, just 1 movement slower and 50% less experience, but they fight better off the bat. There is a huge combat strength difference. The Mongol +1 movement does not affect Keshiks's, they just start with 5 movement, check when you get it from a CS. Arabia has a useful UA, and the Bazaar, while the Mongols have a Khan. Bazaar's a 100% guaranteed all the time, more happiness. Khan's are war ONLY, can be killed easily and really arent that much better than a general, especially if you are before/after Keshik age.

(keshik's do NOT make my list, they are too flimsy for combat, especially in MP, i would prefer Camel Archers any day.)

They can also move onto Rough Terrain, fire twice, and then move away. Camel Archers cannot. That's the big deal of the 5th movement point.

I have to be pretty frank, basing it on the era its introduced in, and the strategies (IE: Zulu Impi Mobs) this'll be my list

Bowman
Foreign Legion
Keshik
Impi
Impi
Impi
Did I mention Impi?
Oh yeah, I forgot. Impi.
By the Way, Impi

Seriously, I'm storming into Zululand with Infantry and these are my main opponents, mobs of them... And they're winning!?

Seriously, I'm storming into Zululand with Infantry and these are my main opponents, mobs of them... And they're winning!?

Uh...your 70 strength Infantry are losing to 16 strength Impis? I don't think so.

If you mean Musketmen, then possibly. Impis get a 25% bonus versus Gunpower, get a free "ranged" attack for half damage on offense, get promoted faster in general, and get special Barracks promotions. Hell, Impis upgrade into *Riflemen.*

Top Bottom