Civics

@Skell Jell- what's "Extreme Slavery"?

@Bahmo- I think that, since its the "modern" world, Media should replace religion in the civics category. Most countries run free religion nowadays anyway (and unless their favorite civic is religious, the AI usually switches to Free Religion when available).

MEDIA CIVICS-
-Deregulation
-Free Speech
-Controlled Media
-State Monopoly
-?

This mod is looking good, I would play it.

You might want to clarify the differences between "Deregulation" and "Free Speech," and between "Controlled Media" and "State Monopoly," as they sound like essentially the same things.

My ideas are that we could have Civics corresponding to media that is up for grabs by corporations, protectionist media that is utilized by the state to promote the individual artists, and media used for state propaganda. Of course there'd be others, as well. The first reduces corportate maintanence (that, as you've seen, is my usual way to facilitate situations in which corporations give payoffs to politicians), the second increases culture, and the third could increase happiness/decrease the crime rate/decrease war-weariness. The other two (or three) are up in the air at this point. Of course, all civics are up in the air until I get my regular computer back.

No, extreme slavery is owning human beings as property whilst abseiling down a glacier.

LOL

he s right though, extreme slavery. slavery is bad enough and no country has it as a way to run its entire country. the closes i can come up with is indentured labour in the UAE and that, although awful, is not slavery.

I have taken Sheep's idea for the fourth Legal Civic! :goodjob: However, I do not know how to boost international relations, so instead, it adds trade routes and culture.

I still need two more ideas; any help?

Bahmo, can you post the 4 Legal Civics you already have so we can think of two more?

Here you go.

Darwinism: No upkeep, -20% :gp: Birthrate, +1 experience points to units trained.
Confederacy: Low upkeep, -50% maintenace costs from distance to palace, workers 25% faster, -20% military unit production, 50% faster cottage to town progression, cities +10% :hammers: , -10% :gold: , -50% :culture:
Isolationism: High upkeep, +1 :) for military unit, no foreign corporations, no spread of nonstate ideology, -20% culture.
Internationalism: Medium Upkeep, +1 :traderoute:, +20% :culture:

Whew. :yuck: It's...done.

Okay, so a few things up front. As I've said before, a major criticism I have of this mod so far is that, compared to the core game, all of the Technologies are, well, just that. All are just futuristic technological developments; none of them relate to political or cultural changes, so in many cases the old gameplay element of doing research to implement new civics does not work. Another problem is that I did not have any graphical representation of the tech tree on hand; hence, when I did have to look for techs to make requirements for civics, it was difficult to tell whether some techs would be early or late. Finally, many techs had scientific jargon titles that I didn't understand, further complicating things.

I worked around it as best I could, binding certain Civics that require technology to various techs, and elsewhere, in the case of controversial civics like government and media, I used Niknaks's idea of increasing revolution length. I'd like to know whether that makes AIs at all more reluctant to implement these civics; if not, I need to know how to do that, and how to make certain civics more desireable in general.

Despite the gripes, the file is done, and should work in the game once the related technology and leader files are added as well. I will upload what I have; meanwhile, I'll continue to work on the cosmetic art and text parts of it.

Ok, look forward to seeing them. You can always add new techs if you need them.

Previously, I was told the tech tree was finalized, and so all the other developers would still need to agree.

Just tell me what tech(s) you want added, and I'll add them. :)

I thought the idea was to have all civic options available to everyone at the beginning of the game, with long revolutions. And no, or very few, futuristic civics.

Only the "Utopian" Civics are what I'd consider futuristic, and even they aren't monopolistically-overpowering. As to others, though, some of them aren't overwhelmingly-futuristic, but do require techs to be researched, while those that are free but controversial have lengthened revolution time. If we're moving towards a more research-based mode of political development, I'd suggest reinstating a lot of the political and economic technologies like democracy, communism, corporation, fascism, and liberalism, and starting certain Civs with certain techs.

But those technologies have already been discovered, right? We can't have communism or any others mentioned above as techs any country still has to research. Also I didn't know we were "moving towards a more research-based mode of political development", in fact I'm not totally sure what you mean by that, you will have to fill me in. Anyway I am greatly looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. :)

What do you mean by controversial civics? Authoritarian/Totalitarian ones I guess?

But those technologies have already been discovered, right? We can't have communism or any others mentioned above as techs any country still has to research.

I'm really not sure if China has discovered democracy, or the Middle East has discovered liberalism. That is only a half-joke. The people in those countries simply do not seem to understand how to participate as citizens in a freer country; when abrupt experiments were tried, society broke down. Research of such things could correlate in real life to a country's students gradually becoming familiar to the ideas in school. It admittedly doesn't correlate to the real world situation perfectly, but the intent is to remember exactly which game you're modding. When you look for a solution to problems in realism, like China suddenly becoming a democracy, at least the most obvious is the one that already exists in the game, that of prolonging the change by requiring research. The solution Niknaks offered still isn't bad either, though, although in that case you'd be well-advised to take out the "No anarchy" part of the "Spiritual" trait, and put in something different.

Also I didn't know we were "moving towards a more research-based mode of political development", in fact I'm not totally sure what you mean by that, you will have to fill me in. Anyway I am greatly looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. :)

Remember, I said "if," right? I'm not actually under the impression we're heading in that direction.

What do you mean by controversial civics? Authoritarian/Totalitarian ones I guess?

You're in the ballpark, but it also works in reverse, meaning that an authoritarian country will have to go through a lot of anarchy if it wants to become a democracy, similar to post-Saddam Iraq or China during the warlord era and Cultural Revolution.

regarding totalitarian to anarchy to democracy. The former soviet republics in central, eastern and baltic europe all made the transition peacefully. Just playing devils advocate

Bahmo- just merging your civics into our mod now. Looks good, but you only sent me the civicinfos.xml file. Did you not define the tags in a text file?

Crap; no I didn't. If you mean something just like what it is in the Civiliopedia, I think the civics will still funtion without them. As to the "description" tags, I think you could just write out the word in the space provided, as opposed to the capitalized "TEXT_KEY" tags you'd need if you wanted to release the mod in different languages. If you do need the text files, though, I can start working if you tell me where to look.

We are using TXT tags for everything. I'm not sure if there are advantages other than being able to add other languages and consistency, but when I got started on this NikNaks suggested doing them all that way, so we have been.

You can just create a new text file, call it: World2009_Civics_CIV4GameText.xml

Copy the header and tags from any other text file to start it.

As you mentioned, you can leave civilopedia entries for now. It would be nice to have the descriptions defined though. I want to get your civics added and have set aside time to do that, but I wouldn't have time to get to this for quite a while.

Also, could you please check out this thread, I have a couple other questions for you.

And finally, could you please explain the idea behind the Darwinism legal tech for me please?

thanks dude

Top Bottom