New Trait Ideas Thread.

Bahmo

King
The Spiritual trait probably needs to be cut, and likely replaced, because
1) We replaced religions with cultural groups, which cannot be spread manually.
2) There are no temples. We've considered adding ghetto or slum buildings, but they cannot be built under normal conditions.
3) We extended revolution length as a way to produce a more realistic situation, and ensure that big events like China becoming a democracy can't happen overnight (If you don't like that, don't blame me, as I didn't support going that route, but I was outnumbered), so the Spiritual trait would unbalance the game.

So what should we add instead?

I don't think Spiritual is the only trait needing a replacement. Since now that Matty has decided to go with traits as describing countries as a whole instead of individual leaders, that renders most of the traits we have now as useless. For example, Charismatic won't apply to any country, as charismatic is a trait for a leader (you can have a man be very charismatic, but whose ever head of a charismatic country? :crazyeye:). The same goes for Philosophical and Spiritual (as stated above).

And then, for traits like CRE, IMP, and EXP, a lot of their bonuses are useless. Creative, with +2 :culture: per city, has no use or place in this mod. It will have absolutely no affect, and will just weaken the civilization. With IMP, its settler production, which once again, there is no where to mass settle on this map, its all taken up. And EXP, workers, since a lot of the map (besides some of the more war torn countries) will already be filled with improvements, making this bonus (along with double production speed of granaries and harbors), utterly useless. I really think, that we should try and overhaul the traits by version 1 (but if we can't, its understandable since there is already a huge workload to be done), but should definatly be changed by version 2.

I don't think Spiritual is the only trait needing a replacement. Since now that Matty has decided to go with traits as describing countries as a whole instead of individual leaders, that renders most of the traits we have now as useless. For example, Charismatic won't apply to any country, as charismatic is a trait for a leader (you can have a man be very charismatic, but whose ever head of a charismatic country? :crazyeye:).

Personally, I think Switzerland is pretty charismatic.

The same goes for Philosophical and Spiritual (as stated above).

Philosophical could be assigned to civs that are progressive in their mindsets, and Spiritual could be assigned to theocratic countries. (Except that, as I mentioned, we should cut it.)

And then, for traits like CRE, IMP, and EXP, a lot of their bonuses are useless. Creative, with +2 :culture: per city, has no use or place in this mod. It will have absolutely no affect, and will just weaken the civilization.

You couldn't be more incorrect, if I may be blunt. The way the mod is currently set up, with small countries competing against larger ones, often right next-door, means that we might actually require giving the Creative trait to small civilizations just so they don't experience regular riots.
With IMP, its settler production, which once again, there is no where to mass settle on this map, its all taken up.

Agreed; I still say that we should grant a free city-attack promotion to armored units.

And EXP, workers, since a lot of the map (besides some of the more war torn countries) will already be filled with improvements, making this bonus (along with double production speed of granaries and harbors), utterly useless.

There still is the important health bonus that's needed to counter the effects of oversized cities, but you're right otherwise.

I really think, that we should try and overhaul the traits by version 1 (but if we can't, its understandable since there is already a huge workload to be done), but should definatly be changed by version 2.

Version 1 will be a mess if we don't get right down to it. In fact, I'll do it, if anyone wants. My personal opinion is that if we're going with national generalizations rather than acurate portrayals of leaders, we should abandon the vanilla traits and design a new trait for every civilization, giving them a whole host of appropriate bonuses. I really want leader personalities accurately depicted, but maybe leader traits could coexist with national ones.

Hey guys...

Just one thing to remember. I'm not saying this will affect it - maybe it will, maybe it won't - but the mod is based off RevDCM. That mod has LOTS of changes to gameplay and the game's code. Changing ANYTHING - such as leader traits MIGHT break down something in the RevDCM code (and it might not). But...IF it it does then nothing can be done with it because the mod will be constantly updated with RevDCM and if we change anything in RevDCM - then we won't be able to update and therefore won't be able to continue the mod.

I'm not saying, for sure, that changing traits, etc., will break down the code. But this post is more about future discussions. If you think of something that might be outside the code - then we cannot implement it.

Philosophical could be assigned to civs that are progressive in their mindsets, and Spiritual could be assigned to theocratic countries. (Except that, as I mentioned, we should cut it.)
Well I guess if you put it that way, it kinda works. But wouldn't progressive countries be more focused on research, maybe instead of a Great Person bonus (Great People aren't very useful late game (only providing a small research bonus), they get a research bonus.

You couldn't be more incorrect, if I may be blunt. The way the mod is currently set up, with small countries competing against larger ones, often right next-door, means that we might actually require giving the Creative trait to small civilizations just so they don't experience regular riots.

+2 :culture: isn't very useful when put up against a more advanced city

Agreed; I still say that we should grant a free city-attack promotion to armored units.

Nice idea, that sounds good :w00t:

There still is the important health bonus that's needed to counter the effects of oversized cities, but you're right otherwise.

Well, I didn't mention the health bonus because that was really the only plus side to the trait.

Hey guys...

Just one thing to remember. I'm not saying this will affect it - maybe it will, maybe it won't - but the mod is based off RevDCM. That mod has LOTS of changes to gameplay and the game's code. Changing ANYTHING - such as leader traits MIGHT break down something in the RevDCM code (and it might not). But...IF it it does then nothing can be done with it because the mod will be constantly updated with RevDCM and if we change anything in RevDCM - then we won't be able to update and therefore won't be able to continue the mod.

I'm not saying, for sure, that changing traits, etc., will break down the code. But this post is more about future discussions. If you think of something that might be outside the code - then we cannot implement it.

We can always try, and if it doesn't work we can always ask jdog or someone over at that mod to see if we can mess with traits. I've seen some mods out there that combine RevDCM and still make their own traits though (ROM).

Hey guys...

It really depends upon what we try to do. If we're creating traits that don't do anything the core game didn't, that is not a problem. If this mod has some buildings or units from Revolution, that could maybe be a problem since we'd need to change their XML too, but it's not very hard to do-so. Something that would require more fundamental changes might be, say, a "Pragmatic" trait that grants +1 to all leader attitudes towards its bearer, but I've wanted to do that for a long time.

I think Productive should be a trait. Now, your probably thinking right now "What the *Beep* would it and how the *Beep* it's different then Industrious". Well, the difference is that Productive's trait is to build all non-Gunpowder units 50% faster. This could represent countries that are spamming their vehicles like ham.

Another trait I have is Controlling, which would reduce War Weariness and UNIT mantince by X% but add some :mad: in result.

I can do that for you, provided that is that the rest of the bureaucratic staff oks it.

That might be a little overpowered, especially if placed with AGG. Then again, if we change once trait, we're probably changing the rest of them too. So, I thinks its best that we come up with all the traits first before we start adding them to the game and or deciding if they are overpowered or not.

I agree; I just said that I know how to code a trait that gives unit production bonuses.

Top Bottom