[FFH] - Erebus in the Balance

I would definitely build granaries and smokehouses in cities with health trouble that need to grow further. They're pretty good in that case.

OB with Mahala etc. wasn't useful before because you didn't have Sailing and thus no trade route.

Look, guys, it's great and all that we're conquering new lands, score leaders, performing pointy-stick research, but I'm disappointed. All the cities are still named boringly!

I don't intend much military adventurism, I'll probably just smack the barbs around a bit. Maybe if the treaty runs out, pile on Beeri.

T130 - I fix that boring name problem!

Also set all cities that can grow to max growth, and all cities that are too big for their happiness to max production. They can grow back later, once we get some happiness built.

T131 - so much for the Titan :(. Decius completes it. At least that lets us shave off another turn from Taxation...
Our peace with Beeri expires - but our firebows are busy with the barbs. We'll let him live a while longer.

Granted, most of the barb cities will be burned for cash, not taken. Like this beauty :rolleyes:

Even if I don't get around to building a settler, maybe the next set of barbs will be slightly more intelligent and actually enable the fish.

T132 - Not much.

T133 - You're kidding, right?

I decide to sell her Festivals instead. Much rather see Calabim markets than GovManors :rolleyes:

T134 - Keep one barb city, but I plan to raze the other one.

Taxation comes in, I decide it's time we start climbing the Arcane tree :). Oh, and there's a little matter of a revolt, too. Since I plan to be peaceful for a while - and we have sufficient military if a neighbor decides otherwise, I make a dramatic switch:

We ought to be close to being able to grab the Bone Palace, if you want to switch this up again on your turn, Gaspar. But I figured happiness and getting our new uber-towns developed were higher goals. Besides - if you disagree, now we can draft Firebows anywhere with a Range :).

Here's the difference in income:
Spoiler :

Before Revolution:

After:

Not a huge difference, yet. But once the various villages grow up...mmm!

T135 - I'm putting up a bunch of Caves of Ancestors and Command Posts. We ought to be in good shape to build units even without Conquest, I think.

Also, yes, Darrell, I'm building a number of Granaries and Smokehouses. Our cities can grow by leaps and bounds, if we can just get them enough food.

T137 - :hammer:
Arendel takes the Bone Palace. About 3 turns before our GEngineer is due. I guess she must be overseas, with Decius.

T138 - Lookit this cute little guy! Already got his first XP, even...

Any thoughts on what nodes we want? We have just two in our current holdings, so I figure something like Water and Sun? We'll be able to swap them around very soon, but we might as well make something out of them for the CoA XP.

T139 - With Bone Palace gone, I'm not sure what's worth building. Maybe the Pillar of Chains in the old Balseraph capital - it's got oodles of floodplains so ought to be able to grow forever.

T140 - So I beat up on the barbs, a bunch. But otherwise this was a very buildery turnset. On the other hand, we can have adepts now! And we're free to go fight either Beeri or Alexis, whenever you want. The Firebows have a bunch of unspent promotions; I was thinking we'd save those for after Govannon.

Edit: Oh, yeah, tech. We picked up Taxation, of course, then Divination + Alteration + Necromancy + Elementalism. I've got us set to Sorcery since our adept is within 2 XP of upgradable ;). You might wanna build a few more adepts, otherwise that'll look kinda silly.

And we have bigger, healthier, happier cities. With Republic-boosted towns to work

Have fun!

Gaspar, you're up!
Le Save

I'm way behind here, so this is a see it. I'll probably take 24-ish to catch up and play. Well done playing turns so quickly! :goodjob:

Err... Guys...?

You realise that your Firebows are the equivalent of Mages on steroids once Govannon comes along, right? They have Channel II and when Govannon teaches them the level 1 stuff, they can get level 2 stuff as promos. The requirement for L2 promos are L1 and Channel II, and they are open to all units.

Adepts, beyond the first 4 to get Archmages and maybe another 4 for Liches, are superfluous for the Amurites.

Had a change of heart after reading Selrahc's exploits in the Perpy SG over at RB, decided I felt like putting the smack down.
Crown? Well have arcane lore soon enough...

Darrell

Yeah - probably. Can't really think of anything else both on the tech path and desirable. Could rush the ToD I suppose, but that's boring.

Err... Guys...?

You realise that your Firebows are the equivalent of Mages on steroids once Govannon comes along, right? They have Channel II and when Govannon teaches them the level 1 stuff, they can get level 2 stuff as promos. The requirement for L2 promos are L1 and Channel II, and they are open to all units.

Adepts, beyond the first 4 to get Archmages and maybe another 4 for Liches, are superfluous for the Amurites.

Indeed, I think this is known. We're really in screwing around mode at this point, though. I think heading for Govannon is a reasonable goal for the near term, so I'll head in that direction.

Consumption is better than Religion most likely.

Had the same thought. Perhaps the engy is just best saved as half of the next GA.

Playing now...

There's a whole lot of... :sleep: going on in our empire right now. I guess I have 2 choices for my turnset:

1. Continue the buildery stuff, teching towards Govannon and setting Ichabod up for the fun turns yet again.
  2. Go knock out the Dwarves. [Vamps would also be an option, but we agreed not to kill anyone else until we had some Arcane toys on board.]

I suppose I'll aim for 1 while positioning myself for 2.

Domestically: We have no plan whatsoever. :lol: We're in cottage civics - we need to be working them. I think there's also been a bit of FFH-itis where we've built a lot of farms where there should be cottages. We're also building farms for cities that we've got no settlers in progress to settle and there are still plenty of unimproved tiles for cities in existence. I don't mean to be the micro nazi, but just leave the damn governor on, he does a better job than this.

:heart:

Militarily, this is what we have:

Not much. The firebows are spread about the empire so it will take some time to take down ODBeeri. I think we still want to be doing Warrior > Firebow upgrades to take advantage of Ingenuity rather than slow building them. I'll bang out a few warriors to do so. We can draft, but as Mardoc has noted, we're a bit population challenged.

T141: Yawn, buildering.

T142: Decius dials up this threat.

I debate for a bit - I don't really give a crap about 1 gold resource, but I also don't remotely fear Decius. Ultimately, I decide to give in just because I don't want to deal with a Bannor stack showing up unexpectedly during my turn.

T143: We get this event.

I have no idea if this is one of those multi-part events, though on the surface it looks like a terrible trade. Naturally, I took it based on the vague possibility it might help later. :lol:

T144: Decius's GA ends and he builds the Perfect Lyre. Alexis fires a Golden Age. Sorcery in, onto Arcane Lore, due in 8t. The barbs have complied with your request, Mardoc. I'm sending a little task force over to grab the city, then I'll have those fellows head south to prepare a Dwarven... adjustment:

T145: Undercouncil proposes a Gambling Ring. Sure, why not. Since I hate Tech Trading as well like the dude upthread, I dial up Cassiel and make this trade. :lol: When in Rome... Also do a Wine for Cotton swap.

There's iron by Bullet Catch already mined. IW I suppose could roid up the Firebows even further. This makes me debate a detour to Engineering, since Guild of Hammers would be an excellent use of that GEngy. I decide to stay the course.

T146: Gambling Ring resolution passes. Cheap Gambling Houses for all! Sign OB with Decius since we're running Foreign Trade. Decius and Mahala are teching well, and Mahala has enough on her hands, so the wardec could come anytime, really. Decide to upgrade a warrior.

T147: Apparently the enough on her hands is the Ljo, as she loses a city to them. She also complete Guild of the Nine. Mahala fiddles while Olricstaad burns, apparently. :lol:

For what its worth, I've basically been building Command Posts everywhere. This means at a minimum any warrior we build can take Fire II when upgraded. Like I said, mostly I'm just stalling for Govannon. Though Ichabod should be in good shape to bash some heads once he arrives.

T148: Lose a worker to a Lizardman due to not paying attention like an idiot. :smoke:

T149: Decius completes Hall of Kings. Arcane Lore, ironically will come in @EOT 150. :( I go ahead and dial down research to 60% after upgrading several warriors to Firebows, which will still get the tech in on time but give us more upgrade cash. I also give an Adept Sun I and upgrade to Wizard, thinking a Blind Wizard will be useful. I won't give him the second promotion though, in case Ichabod would prefer Dispel or Regeneration.

T150: Popped another one? :lol:

I capture Myrean after clearing its garrison and waiting for it to grow to size 2 and keep it. Its not great placement but let's face it, we'll need the land for dom and none of us is ever going to bother building settlers anymore. Mardoc will be pleased that I renamed it "Table of Death"

I didn't do any other upgrades this turn, figuring I'd leave that for the next player. If you see some oddball builds, mostly after I do a warrior or something else cheap I've just been dumping overflow into something semi-useful and cheap, which usually is like a Courthouse or Command Post or something. Obviously the HE City I have build its FBs naturally. Anyway, basically just between working cottages and extra TR from Mahala we went up 100 bpt @ breakeven during my turnset, so the economy is okay. I'd upgrade the 5 fresh warriors around the empire and get ready for Govannon. Go bash some heads! :hammer:

Also @AJ11 we're playing "Increasing Difficulty" So we've been on Deity for like 100t now. SP FFH while loads of fun, is not hard.

Ichabod, you're up:

Save.

Also @AJ11 we're playing "Increasing Difficulty" So we've been on Deity for like 100t now. SP FFH while loads of fun, is not hard.

The problem is not the AI's strategy at heigher difficulties. The problem is the 6 archers, 2 settlers, worker and 3 scouts plus 5 random techs they get with a Deity start...!

Got it.

I'll probably play in like an hour. If I can't it'll have to wait until the night.

Guess the idea is build a lot of units and kill everyone. It's time for the next game already. By the way, I have two interesting ideas for SGs, if everyone is up for another game after this one.

Ichabod, I seem to have skipped you, my apologies!

Why don't you play 20 turns if you have the time?

I agree that the game is probably finished, so I'm all ears to any new SG proposals. :)

AJ11 said:
Err... Guys...?

On steroids, yes. Makes them strong and dumb.

Seriously, I think Amurites can still benefit from having Wizards - since they actually get channelling XP, it's much easier to load them up with combat, mobility, spell extension promos and not worry about losing other good spells. And to make them versatile. And to have a unit capable of making mana nodes.

Guess the idea is build a lot of units and kill everyone. It's time for the next game already. By the way, I have two interesting ideas for SGs, if everyone is up for another game after this one.

Alright, fine, kill everyone before we get to Govannon. See if I care :rolleyes:

:goodjob:

I'm definitely up for another game, presumably with tech trading off. I think I'd like to stick to doing one at a time, our pace is pretty good. So what are your suggestions? I've got a couple ideas as well. We can probably hit some or all of them, even one at a time, we seem to be able to maintain a really good pace ;).

• One that I've been meaning to try is a tiny islands Lanun game.
  • It'd also be nice to take Hyborem and Basium for a spin.
  • Maybe to play some of the factions thematically rather than optimally, as well? Like Elohim with a goal of getting all the uniques in our borders with no excess war, or Sheaim with a goal of 100 AC instead of PZ rush.

Edit: Oh, and it'd also be nice to gather info for the balance arguments. So maybe a game with the goal of rushing everyone with the new improved Conquest?

I'm halfway through my turnset (I'll have to finish it later), but it's clear that we have already won the game. I conquered Beeri, rushed the Crown of Akharian and the Guild of Hammers. We are teching the big techs in 4/5 turns while getting enough cash to upgrade warriors to firebows (that we don't even need, since the cities get them in 2/3 turns). The longbows now have iron weapons too and we have Govannon + almost instant mages from the get go.

I have a stack of 30 firebows ready to attack Alexis, whose army consists of Moroi and Drowns (albeit largely promoted) and is at war with Cassiel.

Do we want to keep going with the game? I think we reached the point that I leave my SP games and start a new one. We only need to meatgrind everyone and win by conquest/domination/whatever. I think we could start another game and have a more pleasant time. But if you guys want the winning screen, I can keep on fine too.

Just a question: I captured 3 golden hammers from Beeri and I wanted to settle them at our NE city. But I can't do it, the option doesn't show. Anyone knows what's the deal? I figured it could be some sort of bug because Beeri is already dead, but I don't know...

My idea of next SG would be one of the following:

*Ethne, the White: Culture Miss -> Play as Elohim with the Mission of winning by culture. But, all our cultural cities must be from other civilization culture (and we can't repeat, like taking the threee cities from the Sheaim -> it has to be one of each culture). Ethne is not only tolerant, she also wants the other cultures to flourish.

Bonus points if we play with all unique features and can get most of them inside our borders at the end.

*Mahala: Non-Culture Miss -> Play as Doviello with the mission of winning by conquest. We can't ever build a building that gives culture. The only culture enabled is from the palace and some free religion spread (since we can't avoid it). The only religion we can tech/adopt is the ones that don't give culture (CoE or RoK - the culture from the Holy City is fine). Since Mahala hates foreign culture too, we have to raze every city we capture from other civilizations.

Ichabod, I seem to have skipped you, my apologies!

Why don't you play 20 turns if you have the time?

I agree that the game is probably finished, so I'm all ears to any new SG proposals. :)

Skip? I think we played the right turn order. I played before darrell.

Do we want to keep going with the game? I think we reached the point that I leave my SP games and start a new one. We only need to meatgrind everyone and win by conquest/domination/whatever. I think we could start another game and have a more pleasant time. But if you guys want the winning screen, I can keep on fine too.
I'll abstain, I don't really care if we continue or stop. I'll admit, you're right that 30 firebows will roll over anything, it's just a matter of time.

Edit: Actually, on further thought, I'm fine with declaring victory here and moving on. I don't really want to move 30 firebows and hit 'summon fireball' 30 times each turn when I already know the final result.

Just a question: I captured 3 golden hammers from Beeri and I wanted to settle them at our NE city. But I can't do it, the option doesn't show. Anyone knows what's the deal? I figured it could be some sort of bug because Beeri is already dead, but I don't know...
Odd. I didn't have any trouble settling them on my turnset, the ones we had.

*Ethne, the White: Culture Miss -> Play as Elohim with the Mission of winning by culture. But, all our cultural cities must be from other civilization culture (and we can't repeat, like taking the threee cities from the Sheaim -> it has to be one of each culture). Ethne is not only tolerant, she also wants the other cultures to flourish.

Bonus points if we play with all unique features and can get most of them inside our borders at the end.

I think this one gets my vote. Unless Ilios or Gaspar comes up with an *even better* proposal. Of the possibilities, it sounds most fun. If I'm outvoted, well, they all sound like fun, so I'll still play.

I think I usually bail on SP games somewhere around 30t ago actually. I wouldn't mind playing it out just to give some reporting on what we do with some of the other fun toys, but I sort of suspected when I handed this over you'd feel that way. With the cottage civics in full throat and all the free beakers we traded for the economy was pretty clearly out of control. Regardless, I'm okay with whatever the majority decides there.

On a future game, I think its pretty clear we'll need to run variants to keep this interesting. The Ethne game sounds fun and I'm definitely in.

Top Bottom