Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
"Machete Order" - IV, V, II, III, VI - is an interesting idea. I may try it sometime.

btw, am I the only one who has a hard time identifying the films by the numerals? To me, the original trilogy will always be "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi." I always have to stop and remind myself that "episode IV" is Star Wars, and so on. Me being an old fart again, maybe, but I've heard no outcry from youngsters getting confused about the correct viewing order for The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or The Hunger Games.

Episode VII concept art, courtesy of io9. Spoilers?

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

nobody compares to Darth Vader , since he was the ultimate good turned into halfway ultimate evil turned back to useful good . Go the way of Darth Maul , but do not make him come back on a beheaded spider .

a whole new set of vehicles ; no more A-wings as an afterthought even if Lucas likes them or the "funny" E-Wing ...

Original Star Wars came out in 1977.

don't allow me to turn this into a stupid conspiracy thread but when Lucas and Coppola were just about to create a "new" studio , Lucas actually contacted Tolkien about filming the Rings . Real doubtful this will ever be in Wikipedia -my primary source when looking up for things . Tolkien and Lucas agreed Lucas would regret the attempt , for lack of the "art" and the expected fan reaction . Then Tolkien advised Lucas to make a story of his own ; it was easy if he found a good one to weave on his own things . So and so ... Instead of a pirate story came a Space thriller and stuff intented primarily for the Japanese market , where one man in a latex suit could make fortunes -aka Godzilla ... It evolved into the "Whills" which evolved into the Star Wars we admire like hell .

just barely related , to make the Rings a new company was made up and it reportedly celebrated the success with a sex act in front of the entire assembly of guests in some party . So typically 70s , ı would say having watched the Boogie Nights on TV . When Lucas was told of what some executives wanted to come to his company back in the day , he merely said "Really?"

I'm exposing a friend of mine to Star Wars, and using the IV, V, I, II, III, VI viewing order. I didn't consider 'machete' and wouldn't have for a newbie, but perhaps when I do my annual Christams SW marathon. It would mean missing "Duel of the Fates", though..

Re: the concept art....we can never leave Tatooine, can we? :lol: It is the hellhole that never stops giving.

For a miserable backwater where nothing ever happens, it was a strange knack for putting itself as the dead centre of galactic events.

Re: the concept art....we can never leave Tatooine, can we? :lol: It is the hellhole that never stops giving.
I got a bad flashback to NuTrek. Ton of homage, visually fantastic, but awkward and forced story-wise... And another darth-cyborg? (Perhaps Sidious is still around...)
But I am sure I am just being unduly negative. This will be great! Great I say!

"Machete Order" - IV, V, II, III, VI - is an interesting idea. I may try it sometime.

btw, am I the only one who has a hard time identifying the films by the numerals? To me, the original trilogy will always be "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi." I always have to stop and remind myself that "episode IV" is Star Wars, and so on. Me being an old fart again, maybe, but I've heard no outcry from youngsters getting confused about the correct viewing order for The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or The Hunger Games.
Considering there are only two Hunger Games movies, it's a bit difficult to not be able to remember which is the first one. I saw both of them on Netflix, and enjoyed both. I'm looking forward to the next one.

As for Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter... never read the books, and have seen about 5 minutes of whatever Harry Potter movie was on just before Doctor Who last week.

For a miserable backwater where nothing ever happens, it was a strange knack for putting itself as the dead centre of galactic events.
If a planet proves to have something the movers and shakers want or need, it will end up that way. That's what happened in Dune, and there are a lot of elements of Dune that ended up in Star Wars.

As for Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter... never read the books, and have seen about 5 minutes of whatever Harry Potter movie was on just before Doctor Who last week.
Only watch the third. It is the only one any good (okay that memory sequence in the last one is pretty good, watch that one, too.)
If a planet proves to have something the movers and shakers want or need, it will end up that way. That's what happened in Dune, and there are a lot of elements of Dune that ended up in Star Wars.
Exactly. Dune has spice. And on Tattoeen (ignore my spelling, I am not going to bother with the right spelling of fictional proper nouns in this life) there are... pot races, I guess?
Why would Obi-One and Luke go hiding to a place galaxy-famous for its pot races? That makes no sense... And did George Lucas name Luke after himself? I think he did. (and am I the last person who noticed that?)

:lol: Pod races. Even I know that much. :lol:

Just a note for future reference: Tatooine.

I want to watch a "pot race."

Machete order is the best order, if you want to actually include the prequels. For purists like me, there are only three movies anyway. Though I will probably end up getting the full series for my kids. My younger siblings liked the prequels, so my kids likely will too.

And just to express my anger at George Lucas:

Link to video.

One thing I hope they get right in the new movies are the lightsabre fights. They were just.. too perfect in the prequels. It was just a bunch of guys performing carefully planned and choreographed dance moves, while hitting lightsabres against eachother in a very careful fashion.

It was way too fake and completely boring. The gritty fights of the original movies is what I want back - I want more emotion and grittiness and less ballet. Please.

In fairness, it doesn't work too badly in the fight with Darth Maul, because the way it's choreographed you buy that Maul is an exceptionally aggressive, acrobatic fighter, and that the Jedi are struggling to keep up. You keep some of the tension you get in the original duels because you're assuming the perspective of the Jedi who have no idea what Maul is going to do next, it's just not quite as heightened.

The problem with the rest of the fights is that there isn't really any tension, just a lot of leaping and bouncing like Errol Flynn impersonators in a trampoline factory, and there's no tension because they're just taking turns swatting at each other, and that just doesn't feel very Star Wars-y.

One thing I hope they get right in the new movies are the lightsabre fights. They were just.. too perfect in the prequels. It was just a bunch of guys performing carefully planned and choreographed dance moves, while hitting lightsabres against each other in a very careful fashion.

It was way too fake and completely boring. The gritty fights of the original movies is what I want back - I want more emotion and grittiness and less ballet. Please.

Eh, the first lightsaber duel was quite dull. Obi-Wan and Vader just kinda tapped each other's sabers* for a few seconds before Obi-Wan deliberately let himself be killed for some reason. The final duel between Vader and Luke was pretty good, but as TF noted, so was Episode I's.

*in a completely nonsexual way

When you actually look back at Episode IV, it's kind of weird how iconic the lightsabers became, because they barely feature. There's that one non-duel with Darth Vader, and Luke bats away a few blaster rounds, but mostly it's spaceships and blasters all the way. It's not until Empire that they seemed to know what to do with the things.

io9 said:
This 'bit of plastic' from Star Wars is worth £50,000
James Whitbrook

Antiques Roadshow, the venerable BBC programme about valuing the public's collections, came a cropper during a recent event in Buckinghamshire when they were shown an incredibly rare prop from the original Star Wars - which much to their surprise, is worth quite a bit of money.

The helmet, a TIE Fighter Pilot's headpiece from A New Hope, is one of only 12 ever made for the movie, and was reportedly found in the attic of the crew member it was gifted to over 30 years ago - but was bought by Star Wars fan and collector Stephen Lane for a few thousand pounds before he bought it to Antiques Roadshow to see how much it was really worth. In tonight's episode, Presenter Fiona Bruce comes across Lane and the helmet, which is valued by the show's experts as being worth £40-50,000 (roughly $60-80,000) - much to the almost dismay of Bruce, who raps her knuckles on the prop before declaring that to 'anyone not of [Lane's] world' it's worth is astonishing.

Whilst it's a tad unsurprising to see a bit of a dismissive attitude over a movie prop, considering Antiques Roadshow tends to deal with 'finer' art and pieces, it's baffling to see how people can be shocked at so much value being put on pieces of Popular culture. They might not be as old as some other antiques, but movie memorabilia and things like it are essentially the artefacts of our modern culture - the same way paintings and sculpture were the 'media' of their day, movies and TV shows are our media, and an important part of our culture. Just because it's a bit geeky, it seems odd to dismiss something's worth just because it's Pop culture instead of fine art or what have you.

I guess Lane doesn't really care either way, considering he's got his hands on such a valuable part of a franchise he loves. The fact that it's worth a pretty penny is just the icing on the cake.

I'm exposing a friend of mine to Star Wars, and using the IV, V, I, II, III, VI viewing order. I didn't consider 'machete' and wouldn't have for a newbie, but perhaps when I do my annual Christams SW marathon. It would mean missing "Duel of the Fates", though..

Instead of showing Episode 1, just play Weird Al's song "The Saga Begins" and that does a great job summarising the plot of number 1.

When you actually look back at Episode IV, it's kind of weird how iconic the lightsabers became, because they barely feature. There's that one non-duel with Darth Vader, and Luke bats away a few blaster rounds, but mostly it's spaceships and blasters all the way. It's not until Empire that they seemed to know what to do with the things.
I guess you had to be sitting in the theatre, seeing it on a big screen for the first time.

ben Kenobi had to die -just to keep- the business open for the later movies . Considering there's this entire training sequence of Luke between Tatooine and Alderean ; all this returning blaster fire stuff . So , instead of a full Jedi-Sith thing , Kenobi just rolls over and dies . Darth Maul has been given a full explanation . Dooku vs Obi + Ani at the second shows the Dark Side give immediate superiority to a fallen Jedi Master against an ordinary Jedi Master . Dooku vs Yoda shows a full-up Jedi is no slouch and Dark Side has an ample reason for this overriding need to run and hide . Ani vs Dooku shows Anakin Skywalker is like number one , bar none , once he learns how . Ani vs Obi shows Obi One is desperately trying to survive while enraging Anakin to distract him and it's the outcome that decides the course of the galaxy for the two decades to come . For Anakin Skywalker would have soon sticked a light-saber through Darth Sidious if he had legs and arms left to interact with the Force entirely .

and yes , Yoda's defeat and run has other reasons than Sidious' powers ; it's all about the fall of Anakin but you would need to see the 3x3 for that .

Top Bottom