Units are too small

Leprechaune

Warlord
I want you to tell me how much damage was taken by the unit in this city...

How long did it take you to locate all the soldiers in that unit because of their small size?

Is the small unit HELPING you play the game or making it harder?

(Answer there are 3 guys in the screen shot)

like I said here :
actually i have larger issues with the graphics, unit size is just one thing; and with the way the graphics are done, it probably won't look that good if they're smaller--which is probably why they made them large in the first place. like i explained my view earlier in the thread, part of the problem is how they chose to depict everything.

though what they seem to be doing, having the units grow larger in scale as you zoom out seems a decent solution for at least that problem

frekk said:
Dunno ... there are 2 guys left though. Whats the problem again?

My point EXACTLY! There are 3 guys left...

How long did it take you to locate all the soldiers in that unit because of their small size?

Is the small unit HELPING you play the game or making it harder?

the third unit if im right looks like its covered up by a building that isn't even supposed to be in front of him...

...see his feet show below the building because he's supposed to be in front of it, but yet it covers his upper body

brianshapiro said:
the third unit if im right looks like its covered up by a building that isn't even supposed to be in front of him...

...see his feet show below the building because he's supposed to be in front of it, but yet it covers his upper body

No, it doesn't look covered up, it just blends in too well. I see all three.

The third guy being embedded in the building doesn't help :)

like brianshapiro said, it seems theres a building drawn on top of the unit, erronically. yet, i must admit that's good camo they're wearing!

Uhm ... in my opinion Civ3 limited too much my fantasy with units represented by a singol icon. I mean, you produce a tank, but isn't only one tank, is a unit. In modern age could be a combat group made by tanks - so at least 10, or 20 tanks - an army can be a merge of tank divisions.
They shouldn't focus on the size of the graphic icon, they should do a sort of dinamic ( not too heavy for I cannot steal a NASA computer to run Civ4 though ) group that represents better the unit.
For example: a great number of hoplites, can represent the unit at its full strenght. Few oplites, in a very, very poor state.
That's a step forward in let the old Civ design behind.

Ok, my final answer....

I "think" I'm ok with it EXACTLY as it is now... It seems they did the perfect compromise where units shrink down only when zoomed in and are at a functional size when zoomed out. The truth remains to be confirmed but it actually looks ok to me now. Because, as I said before... When I'm going to be moving the units around, I won't be looking from this perspective anyhow.

Herr Doktor said:
So? When you zoom in, you see a bunch of people manouvering tanks or just a resized tank?

No... :crazyeye:

Hehehehehe I know what you're suggesting. That won't be the case in Civ4.

That's what they did in Rome Total War... (Rome... Rome something)

Urederra said:
in Civ IV it will be multiple units.
I keep thinking that this is a bad precedent in the Civ series. Multiple units only adds confusion, where the hp bar was perfect ! :( People saying that multiple units adds to realism or immersion just make me laugh, because units should represent thousands of guys... :crazyeye:

brianshapiro said:

Oh, thank you, I thought I was the crazy person that only saw two dudes. :)

As this is a screenshot, it doesn't become clear whether the third unit (the "house"-unit) was just printed on the screen, when the picture was taken, or if it was just disappearing, or if there was just a graphics error.

Anyhow, the other two units are perfectly visible, and I have to state that the smaller units look much more immersive than the big toy soldiers (although, of course, they are still to big in relation to the houses, but in total they make for a much more realistic image).

So, just away with the big toy soldiers!

kryszcztov said:
I keep thinking that this is a bad precedent in the Civ series. Multiple units only adds confusion, where the hp bar was perfect ! :( People saying that multiple units adds to realism or immersion just make me laugh, because units should represent thousands of guys... :crazyeye:

My sentiments exactly. We wouldn't even be talking about this if the bar was still around. If they have to make freakishly enormous units just to compensate, maybe it is not such a good solution.

Top Bottom