[MODMOD] Age of Further Discovery v0.03 for AoDII v1.12

Alright, here are my first contributions to our project

v0.04e (unofficial) changelog:
  • Note that this small add-on is mostly for millansoft, we will incorporate this soon in a complete update
  • If you decide to try till then, keep in mind that this only works with the previous one (so you have to install v0.03d first)
  • Added Inuits
  • Small fixes in various xml files
  • Added/updated a few entries for leaders/civs in the colonizopedia (including the Maya leaderhead)
  • Updated Topiltzin (Toltec) leaderhead art to an optimized version

Problems: I really like the art for the Inuit leader, but it's a reskin of Taizong, our current Chinese Emperor. But as I think Taizong is not suitable for a chinese colonization leader, we should rather replace him to a better art.
We should also find a historical person for the Inuits, and replace the civilopedia entries from Nakasuk, as he lived in the 20th century (but of course keep the art)

Next step: I would like to incorporate the abandon colony modcomp, and would really like to see a scoreboard in the game
In the long run we could add more European civs (Denmark, Sweden, Prussia), but just if we find suitable and high quality art for them (both units and leaders)

Attachments

• AgeOfFurtherDiscovery_v0.03e.rar
    5.5 MB · Views: 117
Is there any interest here in making an Americas map with accurate natives/colonies placement?

There was Ozzy's Americas, but I found that one too large to establish a realistically large empire (like New France, New Spain and Brazil).

I made an attempt at creating a smaller, more manageable map that would encourage interaction between the colonies and natives (including wars) but I reached some sort of CTD problem that I couldn't overcome.

If any of you think you may be capable of finding the problem, I think that map (with some edits, I'm grateful for a hand and feedback), would make another good addition to reinvigorating AoDII now that you guys have got the ball rolling. I hate having Aztecs or Incas in the Arctic or the Portugese colonizing Canada and I'm sure many of you agree with me!

You can find my original post here, including the file: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=357965

I've attached a screenshot. If anyone willing to lend a hand determines that the map is somehow unsalvageable, I'm prepared to start from scratch with some guidance. However, I would need help as I don't want to end up with the same issue of a CTD that I can't explain or remove.

Thanks to anyone that looks into this.

Sounds very nice Stacmon, hope you can solve those issues soon :goodjob:

I made a map like this for BLUModMod for AODII which is at this post (BLUModMod was one of the constituent mods for AOFD). It could probably be made to work with AOFD with not too much effort.

Hey Deliverator, good to see you are still around this modmod too
Hope you don't mind we continued to update it...
As you did the awesome BLUMod, maybe you can add some tips about what should we use as unique art for the new civs we added/plan to add
Anything you definitely want to see for the Toltecs, Inuits or the other natives? Maybe for the planned Denmark/Sweden/Prussia?

I am very excited that the Inuits have been added! I think it's a great step forward including them, as they play an important role in the North (speaking as a Canadian).

While I support the idea of adding other colonizing civs, I think we should be cautious. The Swedes are probably the best choice, as they had a presence in modern day New Jersey (though fairly short). The Danes are a bit more of a stretch, although they had Greenland and a minor possession in the Caribbean, as did the Swedes.

When it comes to Prussia, this is a bit more suspect. Their colonial endeavours focused on Africa and East Asia (correct me if I'm wrong), so including them in what is a very North America focused game might be not be quite historical.

Then again, Australia and China are in the mod, so I suppose the others could be added and picky people like me can just make sure they don't show up in our games!

Great job so far.

I agree with you on all the new civs
My plan was exactly the same. We can have have England, Spain, France, Portugal, Netherland, Sweden and maybe Denmark and Russia as "main" civs - so they are playable for both the player and the AI. They were the nations actually colonizing America
But we can keep China, and add Prussia and maybe Austria-Hungary as civs playable just for the human players. So you won't encounter them as enemies on the map. Just think of them as what-if colonizing civs. We mostly play on fictional/randomly generated new world maps, so why not?
Even Italy and Japan can join this list if we want to go that far.
Australia is the only civ sticking out IMO, as she was England's another colony

Hi! Nice update, AbisntheRed, I will take a look if I can update something more and maybe we should be preparing soon a full version to replace the 0.3 of the first post, with the Aymerick permission of course :)
About the civs, I agree with you both adding a lot forgetting the historic facts will be a bit weird, Australia was included by Dale in the AOD 1.12. I don't like it because she was England's colony as you said, maybe we should clean up a bit those things, but Dale will be angry with us :lol:

Hey guys!

I'm starting to feel the pressure from you guys for updating AoFD, which is a good thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one left interested in modding Colonization!

Thanks to millansoft and AbsintheRed, some small bugs have been fixed and new features added! A now we can move forward to a major update. Here is my Todo and Idea list :
* SDK and Python bug fixes from AoDII v1.12
* Remove modules, revise Gametext and optimize graphics

New features and AI stuff :
* Implement my "Custom House" Modcomp
* Implement "Whales and Whaling Boats" Modcomp (95% complete)
* Improved AI Found Values (unreleased)
* Improved AI Trade Routes
* Native AI - Native Raiding Parties (unreleased, 90% complete)​

Later on, I also want to implement Kailric's "Privateers, Pirates, and Buccaneers" mod and other Modcomp out there...

If you have suggestions or know about bugs and issues to be fixed let me know!

I will update later with my progress...

Aymerick

Is there any way that the changes made in a-b-c-d-e updates could be included in the easy installer that was created. (Or when you make the next update, include all the reivions and call it .04 with an easy installer). I can play the Futher Discovery from the easy installer since it put all the files where they should be. I installed the AOD 1.2, 1.2 update and AOFD .03 and play with the game as is. However attempting to update revision d and/or e, I could not get it to work. I almost had it bu copy and paste method but when game was to start it CTD.

Anyway, this is an excellent mod and all the improvements make it even better.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Is there any way that the changes made in a-b-c-d-e updates could be included in the easy installer that was created. (Or when you make the next update, include all the reivions and call it .04 with an easy installer). I can play the Futher Discovery from the easy installer since it put all the files where they should be. I installed the AOD 1.2, 1.2 update and AOFD .03 and play with the game as is. However attempting to update revision d and/or e, I could not get it to work. I almost had it bu copy and paste method but when game was to start it CTD.

Anyway, this is an excellent mod and all the improvements make it even better.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Yep, that's the plan
But rigth now 3 of us working on this, so we have to compile a final from all this separate work somehow before releasing it
Till then if you want to play, the right method is: AoD 1.12, AoFD 0.03, AoFD 0.03d, AoFD 0.03e

@millansoft: That's exactly my problem too. I don't like having Australia there, and I also wanted to update some LHs from the original AoD 1.12. But since we use that as a base, I don't know if I should mess it up or not.
I can easily change the art, since modular loading has priority, but the unused art will still be in AoD 1.12 there taking away the memory from playing performance...
The best solution would be to release an AoD 1.2, including AoFD and all the changes we made, but I'm sure Dale won't like that :S

@Aymerick: Right now I'm also revising gametext and other various xml files further.
I like the changes you want to do. What I would really like to see in the next release is a civ scoreboard and the abandon colony modcomp

"The right method is: AoD 1.12, AoFD 0.03, AoFD 0.03d, AoFD 0.03e"

Yes, that has become obvious after 2 hours of trials, but what is the best and proper way to install AoFD 0.03d, AoFD 0.03e?

I have AOD 1.12 and ther easy installer version of AoFD 0.03 presently in place.

I figure you have to get them (AoFD 0.03d, AoFD 0.03e) to overwrite files of AoFD 0.03 but I have not been sussessful at doing that. I thouht I had it when I got a change in the intro music like a rock band. Then it CTD when starting to start. I must have copied and pasted something in the wrong place.

Thank you again for helping.

I am sure the mod will get even better as I read the planned additions.

Later

You just have to overwrite all the files when asked

After you installed AoFD on AoD, copy the files from v0.03d to the same directory (and overwrite everything)
Then copy over the files from v0.03e (again, same directory and overwrite everything when asked)

If I did not screw up the last update (0.03e) then the mod should work fine this way

I Still can not get .03d and 03e to copy correct. Every thing seems to work untill the game is initializing to start and then it crashes. I must be content playing .03 untill such time as the latest update version (s) come with the installer like .03.

I have to be doing something wrong in the copy paste process. but I will postpone trials and continue to play Age of Discovery with the Future Discovery .03 and have fun.

Thanks for the help.

The only thing that really is a bug (but I can still play) is the pink box on the dock for a Conquistador before it goes on the ship. Other than that, the other additional improvements in 03d and 03e I can wait for.

Did you try to update the mod (AoFD v0.03) with only v0.03d?

I tried to install .03d but nothing changes. I unzipped the file to AOD II and tried to copy and paste, but can't get it to work........I am doing something wrong in the copy and paste process.

I need a step by step instructuion on what to do..........or an easy installer program.

Here is what I did:

I started with a fresh load of AOD 1.12, then the upgrade.

Next, I used the easy installer AoFD v0.03 which sent everything where it was suppose to be.

Then I unzipped the v0.03d file to the same directory where everything else was located.

This created another folder within the Age of Discovery II folder AoFD v0.03d.

Nothing was changed.

Next I tried copy and paste the folders inside v0.03d overtop those in AOD II.

When I did this it appeared to work since the rock sound track was there and also when testing a custom game set up I saw that the Pirates and several more Indian Tribes were there.

I went through the process and everything looked like it was going to work, but when the game was trying to initialze at the start up game, it crashed.

I had a CTD while it was loading Fonts. Any help?

Hey Aymerick!
I made some huge changes in XML organization and optimization
I also changed some LHs art to an optimized version
Will upload everything soon

Any progress on your side?

Top Bottom