LOTR Mod Downloads and Discussion thread

Ooo, That's awesome! I realize that you're busy and all, but when do you expect to have the dwarves done? or at least playable? again, I don't mean to rush you though, i'm just excited that this is coming closer to fruition!

TLO, excellent idea using Gods and Kings.

What dwarf art is almost done? Units, or just icon type stuff? The dwarves will certainly make an awesome splash once the are launched. :)

Icon stuff. I think Bobap is working on actual unit art but that might not be for a while yet. As for when, I have absolutely no idea. But definitely not as long as it took me to do Mordor :D

In fact, since I have most of the art for the hobbits too, i might just go ahead and release them at the same time.

I'm also thinking of taking it off the steam workshop until it's at a more advanced stage. I'm just getting flooded with 'make orcs plz' and 'how do i install this' and I don't really want to have to cope with that all the time...

Here is a possible idea for religions if you think you might implement them with a G&K type thing. Try perhaps having the distinct cultures be the religions. I'd look at Third Age Total War for some inspiration

I'd like to third (fourth?) the Wonder ideas, though IMO there should be natural wonders as well as buildable ones. Middle-Earth lacks not in either category. (I haven't looked at the workshop yet - are we able to create new Natural Wonders, or just rename them and change what they yield like we've always been able to do?)
(Incomplete list of) Natural Wonders:
Springs of Sirion (if you are including non-3rd-Age places)
Erebor
Aglarond (The Glittering Caves, which I've always thought would be a great NatWonder)
Helcaraxe (if you want to do, you know... nasty places)
etc.
Buildable Wonders:
The Black Gate (great wall sort of thing)
Isengard (dunno. Science boost?)
Khazad-Dum
So, a lot of the wonders that I can think of right now are actually cities. This is too bad. Also I doubt that this would be a primary goal; only with a modpack that actually changes buildings and technologies would these be understandable. Fortunately, if this mod moves in that direction, there's a lot of information that can be used to flesh out the CiV world of Middle-Earth.
Anyway, hopefully this is helpful.

I know someone posted about making Rings of Power buildable in this conversion too, and I'd like to second it. i was thinking that we could go even further with it and have something like, once all of the rings of power are built, for the men, elves, and dwarves, then Mordor would get it's own ring of power, but have some extraordinary benefits like, increased troop production, experienced units, gold output. Something along those lines. That way the other Civs would have to take a chance and build their own rings of power and get their own benefits. But it would also play into the greed aspect of things and i think make things pretty interesting.

And as for the Natural wonders, I'm not sure exactly what all you can do with them, but if worse comes to worse, we can always just rename them. I know Mt.Fuji would be perfect as the lonely mountain lol

Regarding the Rings of Power discussion...it might be tricky, but perhaps there is a way to develop the concept.

One possibility is that "ring-bearers" could be unique units within the civs that have rings from the plot. The hobbit civ could build a ring-bearer with unique characteristics, that perhaps has a very enormous combat bonus against Mordor but is easily captured and has otherwise weak stats. And perhaps the dwarves and elves could build ring-bearers. The Nazghul give Mordor a unit like this already. If you do this, you might get to play around with the theme in a more fun & interactive way civ-style. You'll just need to have some kind of limit on how many of these units those civs can have active at any one time...which is easier if you are using a map-based resource. You also might have these units set up so that they are unlocked during a certain era or with a certain technological step.

I favor the above scenario because you could enjoy what Civ brings to LoTR, but at the same time you could play out the actual storyline if you wanted to because you could have units for each of the characters from the storyline.

Thoughts?

I'm really sorry everyone, but while your suggestions are all incredible, most of them are completely impossible without dll access. There is no way to give civs bonuses against other civs. As far as I know, there is no way to mod in natural wonders with new graphics, and without new graphics they would basically be rubbish. And I'm sure there's no way to make it so that when one civ makes something, another civ gets something else.

For now I will continue making civs and I will hopefully soon add a new tech tree and policies along with new units available to all civs.

By all means carry on brainstorming though. I'm sure we'll have .dll access eventually and when we do, this will all be possible (although admittedly i know nothing about dll coding)

How about this (I admittedly know basically nothing about modding): One of the functions of Mordor's UA is that a city with Mount Doom (or a natural wonder?) in its radius can construct a special building that gives a powerful 'Ringbearer' promotion. Mount Doom uses Mt. Fuji graphics with different yields (or the same yield, if changing NatWonder yields is impossible). This would work well if the LOTR civpack was part of a scenario. I'm not sure if it is possible to limit the number of promotions a building can give. I don't think so. But at least that could perhaps be an option.
Regarding bonuses vs. other civs: give certain units promotions that have 'bonus vs. type' or 'bonus vs. race'; these 'races' or 'types' will have their own promotion designating them as such. Modding promotions is possible; Rohan is a good example. You could give the Hobbit UU a bonus vs. gunpowder units, and make all of Mordor's units gunpowder.
I think. Please tell me if I'm misguided here.
Sorry that none of these ideas are likely to be possible. Hopefully they are helpful.

The Little One, you mentioned Semprini was back. I came down with an illness right after I got the tools I needed so I haven't started working on anything and I figured Semprini has been doing the leader screens and icons etc. and unless he wants some help on those I feel like I'll just let him take care of that. In the meantime I'll see what I can do about unit models if you don't need anything else.

Sorry for a bit of a delay everyone. Dwarves should be out within a couple of weeks (I mean it this time). I decided that to speed up the process of making future civs I'd make a template, so that's what I did today. This should greatly reduce the time needed to make each one (at least on the code side of things)

Oh and my school finishes in a week, causing 6 weeks of absolute boredom and loads of free time. So expect me to be more active then

Just my two cents. Love your work so far.

I suggest that Ents be a City State rather than a civilization. First off, it would be impractical to try to pass off Ents having anything similar to an army (If I remember correctly they act individually, unless called upon at the Entmoot. Heck, you could call the city "Ent Moot". I'd suggest trying to seed it to a forest if possible.

As for art for your Leaders, have you considered borrowing from LoOTRO? It has decent graphical capacity, customizability, and gives you a get-around for characters that are not in the movies.

Just some ideas for Hobbits, 3 hex range for archers as well as sight. Weak defense and poor attack in combat. For Elves since they are better then Hobbits make them 4 hexes. Strong attack since they are good with up close fighting and decent defense.

You would have to some how change the range of catapults to be longer then the 2 hexes they are now same for trebuckets.

Ok, after playing with Gondor, and Isngard I see that the range combat points are the way to go. So Hobbits would have less then Elves, but more then any other archers of any other Civ with the exception of Rangers. There movement should be less then Elves, but more then other Civ.

Dwarves very strong combat, and short range but strong range combat for rock throwing capability. Don't know if you can only let them and Orcs travel though mountains at one hex per turn, this would be there tunnel ability.

Ok, after playing with Gondor, and Isngard I see that the range combat points are the way to go. So Hobbits would have less then Elves, but more then any other archers of any other Civ with the exception of Rangers. There movement should be less then Elves, but more then other Civ.

Dwarves very strong combat, and short range but strong range combat for rock throwing capability. Don't know if you can only let them and Orcs travel though mountains at one hex per turn, this would be there tunnel ability.

Orcs will not be included as a civilization at all. Also, IMO 4 range is way too much for a crossbow/archer replacement. Even the three of the English Longbowman is a bit OP.

As for the ents, they would be more a mash-up of Ents and huorns, as in The Two Towers a huge force of Huorns attacked the Orcs at Helm's Deep, while an also considerably large number of actual ents attacked Isengard. I would like to have them as a civ, but maybe you're right.

And the Dwarves will have the same ability as Carthage in Gods and Kings. Unfortunately this means they will die if they end their turn on a mountain, but that should work

Also, IMO 4 range is way too much for a crossbow/archer replacement. Even the three of the English Longbowman is a bit OP.

And the Dwarves will have the same ability as Carthage in Gods and Kings. Unfortunately this means they will die if they end their turn on a mountain, but that should work

Well in my second post, I realized that increasing the range was not the way to go, but as you did increase the range combat points instead. So I was talking about Hobbits having a combat range point of say (since Rangers have 15) 11, Elves have say 13. And Dwarves have a range of 1 hex but a range combat points equal to a catapult.

Don't have Gods and Kings version, so will just wait and see how you work it out, looking forward to it.

Looking forward to it. This Mod has breath new life into Civ5 for me, I reinstalled it on my HD just for your Mod.

Top Bottom