[Religion and Revolution]: Achievements

This is the neighborhood of Mister Robert Roger's and his rangers!

Beware the power of Rangers, as they bring new tactics into war. Will they change the scope of battles that take place?

Any suggestions on re-wording will be considered and i hope you like it! My writing occurs in 2 stages - first some research and informative writing - then flavoring and adding atmosphere. Some of the entries will give you insight on how real nations were impacted by these achievements while others ask how this achievement will effect your choices. Once those 2 stages are done, i will include a story about one of your citizens and how this event inspired that person and your nation as a consequence. This writing is stage one.
Spoiler :

Our troops have assembled new light infantry units, moving fast through the woods and plains. Oh governor, how will these brave new troops reshape the armies of the new world? Will they give us the edge we have been looking for?

These rangers will serve bravely for years to come, these masters of the wild will surely give us an edge. Rangers are light infantry units, well suited for both exploration and combat, fighting with unconventional means.

Robert Rogers informally trained the first Rangers for use in the Seven Years War. They started out as an independent company of colonial militia, tasked with reconnaissance and conducting special operations against distant targets.

Their military tactics were so bold and effective that the unit became the chief scouting unit of British Crown forces in the late 1750s. The British valued them highly for gathering intelligence about the enemy. Later, several members of Rogers' Rangers became influential leaders in the American Revolutionary War.

When i use a historical figure like Robert Rogers, I will use informative text, while when i use general information i will use entertainment based informative text like this.

but...

Can you convince the church to nominate a Bishop from your people, legitimizing your growing nation among the European churches?

Spoiler :

Wonderful news, governor! The church has appointed a holy Bishop from our citizens. Religous influence is growing, for we have legitimized our great faith. Will we someday hold the same influence as the church in Europe?

Bishops are the strongest religous unit. Have them spread your faith in a Grand Cathedral for best results.
Bishop Alonso Manso (1460 - September 27, 1539) was a Spanish bishop born in Becerril de Campos, Spain.
On August 8, 1511, Pope Julius II created three dioceses in the New World. Two in Hipaniola (Santo Domingo and Concepción de la Vega), and one in Puerto Rico.
In 1519, at the request of Bishop Manso, the diocese of Puerto Rico was expanded to cover all the Leeward Islands and two years later he directed the construction of the Cathedral of San Juan.</English>

If you can do that, surely you can you find Five Treasures in the new world?
Spoiler :

Having discovered Five Treasures in the New World, the wealth of our colony is amassing to that of The King. Will we pay the king his royal fee, or will we aquire large ships to sell them for full profit?

Like the ancient Egyptians, the nobles of the american empires adorned themselves in gold. Buildings, devorative armaments and everyday objects were decorated with it. The Spaniards found that Inca Gold was especially high quality, pure as the sun. European nations financed their homelands largely by plundering treasure from the natives. In time, the wealth produced in the colonies exceeded the wealth produced in Europe. Many revolutionists would question why large, wealthy countries are ruled by improverished nations the size of counties and islands.

If you do these things, why not show the Europeans the greatness of your first crown and build...
Spoiler :

Will your explorers find treasure, and settle the lands before them?
Spoiler :

In the future, i will remove the tile yields before making "trigger placements" for cleanliness in the screenshot.

Attachments

• Rogers.jpg
    Rogers.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 337
  • Bishop.jpg
    Bishop.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 321
  • Treasure.jpg
    Treasure.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 307
  • wagon Map 1 RAR Screens.jpg
    wagon Map 1 RAR Screens.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 312
The only way i know of is to use Unit_Coffee however i am having a hard time getting it to 500 yield or 100 yield per turn.

Then why not simply trigger at 10 yield of Coffee produced per turn ? :dunno:

For buildings, i will stick with 3 buildings stage 2 and first building top stage.

Ok. :thumbsup:

Can i tell it the difference between 100 gold mined and 100 gold traded?

I just checked.

I also thought it was possible to check X gold traded in total but it is not. :(
The only thing you can currently check is X gold produced per turn.

You could also check the total amount of all goods traded, but that does not help here.

I really need to take the time for next release to expand the achievement system. :thumbsup:
(Currently there are really very few possibilites ...)

I am now finished with the following achievements and am ready for art - i am still working on getting gimp to cooperate.

Spoiler :

One Bishop
Three Wagon Trains
First Palace
Five Treasures
Twenty Horses per turn
Beer Factory + Brewer
Rum Factory + Distiller
Wine Factory + Wine Maker
Cigar Factory + Tobacconist
Large Stable + Rancher
Furniture Factory + Furniture Maker

Edit: Added more completed, working achievements to the spoiler - I am on a roll today, now that i have multiple types of them done, the rest will be that much easier of a cut-paste job. I could upload both achievement files right now, however i am reluctant as they all use the art of other achievements - namely pioneer.

@thadian:

Great that you are getting along so well with creating the XML and text parts of the achievements. :)
I am sure that you will figure the graphical part as well. :thumbsup:
(Maybe Schmiddie will be able to support at least a little. :dunno:)

Please do not upload achievements into the mod if they are not complete. :thumbsup:
(XML, texts and good graphics.)

@team:

Androrc said he will take a look at Enhancing the Achievement System. :thumbsup:

This will give me some more time for improvements / fixing, balancing, translations and
all the other small things that come along with a project like this. :)

My struggles with the graphical aspect will resolve themselves, i will need to pry open the files and look at what i need to do, write it down in a series of small steps and do it.

At this point, i changed some of them to avoid popup overloads, and professionalized the texts for the achievements i already have done. Now that i can take good screenshots, i am "part way" there.

XD

If there is no objection, i am prepared to make the following changes to existing achievements:

All build first level 1 building achievements will be changed to build first level 2 buildings. It is not an achievement to build one blacksmiths house.

This means the building achievement tree will look like this:

Spoiler :

3 instance of level 1 building. 3 church.

1 instance of level 2 building. 1 chapel

1 instance of top level building. 1 grand cathedral

This is to lessen the amount of early achievements (in the age of getting a popup for almost everything you do) and increase the value of later achievements. I figured i would ask ahead since this will effect existing achievements.

Short remark:

Order of SpecialBuilding_Church:

Level 1: Chapel
Level 2: Church
Level 3: Cathedral
Level 4: Grand Cathedral

Otherwise I suggest:

Please let us not focus on changing existing achievements.
Let us try to create new ones first. ;)

yes - i thought about it and rewarding building 3 seems redundant. I will examine the "old school final fantasy" element.

Step 1: enter the room. (build chapel)
Step 2: fight a boss. (build church)
Step 3: progress in storyline. (build cathedral)
Step 4: open treasure chest. (grand cathedral)

This analogy sees the cathedral as a step stone to grand cathedral. One who builds it will build a grand cathedral. I think it's fair to reward the icing on the cake, but not putting the cake into the oven.

That and looking at how many achievements are desired makes me think less is more.

That and looking at how many achievements are desired makes me think less is more.

Yes, but still let us first create achievements for units and productionlines that do not have any achievements at all. :thumbsup:
(After that, we might come back to existing achievements and eventually change them.)

Everything else will not work for now.
(After all we are planning to have our Release 1 in reasonable time.)

I am sure that you will figure the graphical part as well. :thumbsup:
(Maybe Schmiddie will be able to support at least a little. :dunno:)

As I said. I will not be able to do something for the mod again until middle of October. I will totaly stop my work for the mod.

As I said. I will not be able to do something for the mod again until middle of October. I will totaly stop my work for the mod.

I was not necessarily talking about creating graphics yourself.
But maybe you could help with advices, tips and answering questions from time to time. :dunno:

I have paint.net, however the units load in as messy little things, now i need to figure out how to load it in a way that it looks like the object i see on my screen - ill keep on it, this is much better than GIMP.

Spoiler :
Line 7287: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_BANANA</Type>
Line 7352: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_DEER</Type>
Line 7417: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_CORN</Type>
Line 7482: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SILVER</Type>
Line 7547: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_GOLD</Type>
Line 7612: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_GEMS</Type>
Line 7677: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_COCOA</Type>
Line 7742: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_COFFEE</Type>
Line 7807: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_COTTON</Type>
Line 7872: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_FUR</Type>
Line 7937: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SUGAR</Type>
Line 8002: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_TOBACCO</Type>
Line 8067: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_WHALE</Type>
Line 8132: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_IRON</Type>
Line 8197: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_OASIS</Type>
Line 8262: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_TIMBER</Type>
Line 8327: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_MINERALS</Type>
Line 8392: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_PEARLS</Type>
Line 8457: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_PEARLS_2</Type>
Line 8522: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_BISON</Type>
Line 8587: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SALT</Type>
Line 8652: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_POTATO</Type>
Line 8717: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_HORSES</Type>
Line 8782: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_COCONUT</Type>
Line 8847: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_TURKEYS</Type>
Line 8912: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_PUMPKIN</Type>
Line 8977: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_MELON</Type>
Line 9042: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SEALS</Type>
Line 9107: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SEA_OTTERS</Type>
Line 9172: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_WALRUSS</Type>
Line 9237: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_HEMP</Type>
Line 9302: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_INDIGO</Type>
Line 9367: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_STONE</Type>
Line 9432: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SHEEP</Type>
Line 9497: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_CATTLE</Type>
Line 9562: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_SALT</Type>
Line 9627: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_GRAPES</Type>
Line 9692: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_RED_PEPPER</Type>
Line 9757: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_VALUABLE_WOOD</Type>
Line 9822: <Type>BUILDING_BONUS_BARLEY</Type>

I wonder if there is anything achievements can do in regards to these.

Spoiler :

Line 20156: <Type>UNIT_FOOD</Type>
Line 20281: <Type>UNIT_LUMBER</Type>
Line 20406: <Type>UNIT_STONE</Type>
Line 20531: <Type>UNIT_SILVER</Type>
Line 20656: <Type>UNIT_GOLD</Type>
Line 20781: <Type>UNIT_GEMS</Type>
Line 20906: <Type>UNIT_COCOA_FRUITS</Type>
Line 21031: <Type>UNIT_COFFEE_BERRIES</Type>
Line 21156: <Type>UNIT_RAW_SALT</Type>
Line 21281: <Type>UNIT_RED_PEPPER</Type>
Line 21406: <Type>UNIT_WOOL</Type>
Line 21531: <Type>UNIT_COTTON</Type>
Line 21656: <Type>UNIT_INDIGO</Type>
Line 21781: <Type>UNIT_HIDES</Type>
Line 21906: <Type>UNIT_FUR</Type>
Line 22031: <Type>UNIT_PREMIUM_FUR</Type>
Line 22156: <Type>UNIT_BARLEY</Type>
Line 22281: <Type>UNIT_SUGAR</Type>
Line 22406: <Type>UNIT_GRAPES</Type>
Line 22531: <Type>UNIT_TOBACCO</Type>
Line 22656: <Type>UNIT_HEMP</Type>
Line 22781: <Type>UNIT_WHALE_BLUBBER</Type>
Line 22906: <Type>UNIT_VALUABLE_WOOD</Type>
Line 23031: <Type>UNIT_ORE</Type>
Line 23156: <Type>UNIT_COCOA</Type>
Line 23281: <Type>UNIT_COFFEE</Type>
Line 23406: <Type>UNIT_SALT</Type>
Line 23531: <Type>UNIT_SPICES</Type>
Line 23656: <Type>UNIT_WOOL_CLOTH</Type>
Line 23781: <Type>UNIT_CLOTH</Type>
Line 23906: <Type>UNIT_COLOURED_CLOTH</Type>
Line 24031: <Type>UNIT_LEATHER</Type>
Line 24156: <Type>UNIT_COATS</Type>
Line 24281: <Type>UNIT_PREMIUM_COATS</Type>
Line 24406: <Type>UNIT_BEER</Type>
Line 24531: <Type>UNIT_RUM</Type>
Line 24656: <Type>UNIT_WINE</Type>
Line 24781: <Type>UNIT_CIGARS</Type>
Line 24906: <Type>UNIT_ROPE</Type>
Line 25031: <Type>UNIT_SAILCLOTH</Type>
Line 25156: <Type>UNIT_WHALE_OIL</Type>
Line 25281: <Type>UNIT_FURNITURE</Type>
Line 25406: <Type>UNIT_TOOLS</Type>
Line 25531: <Type>UNIT_MUSKETS</Type>
Line 25656: <Type>UNIT_CANNONS</Type>
Line 25781: <Type>UNIT_SHEEP</Type>
Line 25906: <Type>UNIT_CATTLE</Type>
Line 26031: <Type>UNIT_HORSES</Type>
Line 26156: <Type>UNIT_LUXURY_GOODS</Type>
Line 26281: <Type>UNIT_TRADE_GOODS</Type>

The problem with these is that when you pull a resource out of Europe or town - or when you trade, this number will be ever-changing. For instance, if you buy 100 food from natives or europe you will get 1 unit with value 100. I will run some tests making 1 achievement for each and see what happens.

The buildings and unit-based achievements are coming closer and once i complete the entries and text, i will start looking more at the art. I am still having small issues in that department but im learning it, and paint.net has a lot of flexibility GIMP does not.

@thadian:

It is currently not possible to check for Bonus-Ressources in the city radius.
It is also currently not possible to check for the amounts of yields stored in a city.

Trust me on that. :)

However, Androrc and myself are in contact to realize an Enhancement of the Achievement System.
(A little patience please. Maybe there might be first results for Release 1 already.)

Until then, please try to work with the aspects the Achievement System can currently do. :thumbsup:

im just afraid of balancing out the number of them - so far ive done almost all units, and buildings. I am finalizing text and art, but im afraid to do "too much" for mundane things and create a popup overload, and im learning about different options with paint.net - somewhat of a process, but once i get 1-2 successful splash screens to work, i will be able to finish.

The more i am able to learn the better, but your right about pacing myself and keeping one direction of focus so that i can keep track of done, to do, and spectrum of tasks in order

What compression type do i save it as? GIMP 2.8 x64 plugin works for exporting to .DDS but i do not know what compression to export as. Also, i still can not get the units to open as normal images, they just open up as some butchers victim.

just click "save", do not make any changes when you save the .dds file

=> Compression: none
=> Format: default

Also, i still can not get the units to open as normal images, they just open up as some butchers victim.

- What program do you use to open the units?
- What means "to open as normal images"? - Please note, that the unit (the .nif file) has to be opened with a program which can use/open .nif files - Nifskope for example. You cannot open "the unit" "as a normal image" in that way you mean. That does not work. You must use nifskope (or another program) and open the nif file of the unit you want to use for your picture. After you have opened the file, make a screenshot, click "paste" and handle it with a graphic program - Photoshop or GIMP for example.

Also, i still can not get the units to open as normal images, they just open up as some butchers victim.

What do you mean with "opening a unit" ? :dunno:
Please explain again exactly what you are trying to do. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Crosspost with Schmiddie. :D

Edit 2:

Ah, now that Schmiddie says it, I start to understand ...
You are trying to open a .nif (NetImmerse Animation File), right ?

Yes, Schmiddie is right, you need to use a special tool. :thumbsup:
I use NifScope as well.

Also, try to open the main .nif (NetImmerse Animation Manager File).

Top Bottom