[Religion and Revolution]: Drop in and say hallo ...

Should I play the basic game first and get to know it again or do you think I could just start playing with this mod or AOD? What is different about this mod from AOD? Thanks for any replies.

If you ask me:

Do not play the basic game (Vanilla).
Directly go to one of the big mods.

Simply try the big mods and play for a few hours to make your decision. :thumbsup:

Religion and Revolution is definitely the largest CivCol mod that currently exists.
(It contains complete TAC, most Features from AOD /AOFD and much much more.)

I hope that we will bring out our Release 1.2 relatively soon. :)
(We have made a lot of improvements already since our last release.)

I play often! It is the only way I can play CivCol anymore.

We are happy to hear that. :)

Hello... I decided to give this game another chance after I stopped playing a few years ago. I have been looking at mods and have come down to Age of Discovery and this one.

Should I play the basic game first and get to know it again or do you think I could just start playing with this mod or AOD? What is different about this mod from AOD? Thanks for any replies.
I think it's important to play at least one Vanilla game before trying any mods. But if you've already played (even though it's been a long time), I don't think it's necessary to play again.
You can immediately try mods!

As Ray said many AOD features are in Religion and Revolution. In RaR there are many other features (check out the feature list): new nations, new events, new yields, improved screens (many features come from TAC mod). However there are a few AOD features that we have not (or not yet implemented ;)). In AOD, there are pirates and non-european nations (Australian features).

Of course, everyone from Religion and Revolution team will encourage you to play our mod. But you can also try some other quite interesting mods too.
There are many, you can try TAC, Dawn of a New Era. Writing bull also did an interesting mod/scenario (I've wanted to try it , but I've been running out of time lately): Werewolves.
There are many other mods, even some are from RaR team members. Orlanth developed the Colonization 2071 mod :)goodjob:). You can try it too if you want...
As we say, the more, the merrier ! (And there are many I didn't quote...)

I play often! It is the only way I can play CivCol anymore.
Thank you ! :)

But you can also try some other quite interesting mods too.

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

It is always best to form your own opinion. :)
Get some different mods, play them for a few hours and see for yourself which ones you like.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. My thoughts on what mod I would like is one that stays true to the heart of the game. I don't like tons of changes just to change something. I will give this a try today thanks.

One thing I remember that I didn't like from the vanilla game was I thought it was too easy to get immigrants and add them to your workforce. I didn't play a lot so maybe I didn't give it enough time to see if my thoughts on this were wrong.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. My thoughts on what mod I would like is one that stays true to the heart of the game. I don't like tons of changes just to change something. I will give this a try today thanks.

We did try to stay to the heart of the game. :)
However, we have added massive amounts of new things.

We never introduced "changes just to change something". ;)
We changed the things in ways we really like.

There was a lot of consideration in there.
In order to add a feature to our mod, it must have been approved by the complete team.

But tastes are different. :)
If you feel, it is too much for your taste, you might try TAC. :thumbsup:
(TAC is the mod we are based on. It adds much less changes than we do.)

I will give this a try today thanks.

Sure, simply take a look and see if you like it or not. :thumbsup:

Well, I just drop in and say "hello"! :)

After playing (and really enjoying) RaR 1.1 I would like to give a feedback. Of course, the following points are just based on my personal opinion. And tastes are - thank God/The Universe for that - different.

- First of all, I like every new feature you made. Some balancing may be done here and there, for example "native raids" (they rob and kill a bit too often, but this was already mentionned in another thread, and a "Fort"-Improvement may help to balance this feature)

- For personal use and fun I changed some Unit graphics:
a) The Ranger looks a little bit more military now (white straps, civ-coloured insignias)
b) The Conquistadores got unit mesh (2 more slightly different models/textures from DoaNE-Mod)
c) Made a Colonial Guard as New World's counterpart to the King's Hessians
d) The Hessians (I made them for TAC long time ago) got back their white pants, instead of beige pants

Screenshot of "new" Units
Spoiler :

- Made "a step back" in route-system: renamed roads to path and plastered road back to roads including changed graphics (can be seen on the upper screenshot). For personal taste I like the roads to be more "soften".
- I changed the Plantations to have fields around (PlotLSystem) and got "flexible" positions like the farms, this makes even an urban place looking quite green & nice

Spoiler :
Screenshot of "new" plantation

- And last, I had a bug when attaching a Great General to units: The General unit changed into the particular unit, instead of keeping a General unit. If this bug is common (and not caused by the changes I made...), the solution can be found in the spoiler :crazyeye:
Spoiler :

Edit CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml and insert the following code at the entries of each European Nation:
(didn't see any native General and did not test that, but technically it's the same, just insert the code with appropriate ART_DEF)
Code:
				<StyleUnit>
					<UnitType>UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL</UnitType>
					<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_CUIRASSIER</ProfessionType>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
						<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL</ArtDefineTag>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
				</StyleUnit>
				<StyleUnit>
					<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_DRAGOON</ProfessionType>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
				</StyleUnit>
				<StyleUnit>
					<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_MUSKETMAN</ProfessionType>
					<UnitMeshGroup>
					</UnitMeshGroup>
				</StyleUnit>

Again, thank you guys for RaR and for making CivCol a better game! :goodjob:
If you like to use the new Military Ranger Texture, just take the enclosed "Trapper.dds" and replace the old one :)

Attachments

• RaR_Screeni2.gif
    RaR_Screeni2.gif
    430 KB · Views: 353
  • RaR_Screeni1.gif
    RaR_Screeni1.gif
    357.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Trapper.zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 82
  • RaR_Willi.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Nice. :thumbsup:
I think, I like almost all of these changes. :)

a) The Ranger looks a little bit more military now (white straps, civ-coloured insignias)

Looks great. :thumbsup:
(Would like to adapt that.)

b) The Conquistadores got unit mesh (2 more slightly different models/textures from DoaNE-Mod)

(I will think about what we could do with it. :think:)

The Hessians (I made them for TAC long time ago) got back their white pants, instead of beige pants.

:dunno:

- Made "a step back" in route-system: renamed roads to path and plastered road back to roads including changed graphics (can be seen on the upper screenshot). For personal taste I like the roads to be more "soften".

Well, your are probably right.
And your graphics look great. :thumbsup:

Did you adjust the build buttons (Action at Pioneer) ?

- I changed the Plantations to have fields around (PlotLSystem) and got "flexible" positions like the farms, this makes even an urban place looking quite green & nice

- And last, I had a bug when attaching a Great General to units: The General unit changed into the particular unit, instead of keeping a General unit. If this bug is common (and not caused by the changes I made...), the solution can be found in the spoiler :crazyeye:

Thanks. :thumbsup:
(We will fix it.)

I would not adapt that, because I made them correspondent to their historic model. Because they were no regular line infantry but rather a sort of skirmisher, they wore no insignias and no white straps like regular soldiers.

Hm, I cannot see any difference. What has been changed? :dunno:

I like it! Maybe we could use it as counterpart unit graphic to the Hessians for Portugal and Spain?

d) The Hessians (I made them for TAC long time ago) got back their white pants, instead of beige pants

Hm, to my opinion beige pants are rather historically correct than white pants. For my personal use I would ever change them back to beige. But the picture shows other unit graphics! (Please note: The regular Hessian "Jäger" wore green pants! If we would totally be historic we should change them to green, but I think this does not look as nice as beige pants).

Furthermore I like the fields around the plantations! I ever missed them.

I would not adapt that, because I made them correspondent to their historic model.

Ok. :thumbsup:

Hm, I cannot see any difference. What has been changed? :dunno:

There is a unit mesh. :)
(3 different types of conquistador graphics form the unit graphic.)

I like it! Maybe we could use it as counterpart unit graphic to the Hessians for Portugal and Spain?

I am already thinking about a feature to use them. :think:

Hm, to my opinion beige pants are rather historically correct than white pants.

Furthermore I like the fields around the plantations! I ever missed them.

We should definitely adapt that. :thumbsup:

The fix for Generals will be adapted, too of course. :thumbsup:

Argh, my fault! I thought the silver unit right to the conquistador was the colonial guard!

Ok, then I will give my "veto" to the guard shown in the picture! They are from another era (19. century) and should not be part of our mod!

Ok, then I will give my "veto" to the guard shown in the picture! They are from another era (19. century) and should not be part of our mod !

Wow - folks, I didn't expect such a feedback :D

Please note: All the modifications I've done in my ModMod were just made for my personal taste & fun - I know that some will not fit RaR, and some are historically incorrect (Schmiddie has mentionned, that the Colonial Guard "Rifleman" does not fit the time period, and he is completely right) :)

On the other hand, Schmiddie, about the Ranger I have a slightly different opinion. I know that they were Skirmishers, and not regular uniformed soldiers. But if you look to some pics ("Roger's Rangers"), they do wear stripes (shure, these stripes could also be textured leather-brown instead of white). But again, I made this new texture for my personal taste ;)
Picture: Roger's Rangers
Spoiler :

And a last remark about the Hessian Unit:
When I made the Hessian Unit for TAC some time ago, I did them with white pants, based on pictures. It's right, that these Jägers also wore green pants. I don't know who changed the pants into beige, but I just didn't like that colour and so I changed it back to white :crazyeye:
Picture: Hessian Jaeger
Spoiler :

Attachments

• britains_rogers_rangers_.jpg
    britains_rogers_rangers_.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 323
  • Hessen_Jaeger1.jpg
    Hessen_Jaeger1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Hessen_Jaeger2.jpg
    Hessen_Jaeger2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 328
Please note: All the modifications I've done in my ModMod were just made for my personal taste & fun

It is just the same for us. :lol:
We are also implementing for our own tastes and fun.

The only difference:
We need to find a consense for all team members.

But until now, this has worked really well. :)

On the other hand, Schmiddie, about the Ranger I have a slightly different opinion. I know that they were Skirmishers, and not regular uniformed soldiers. But if you look to some pics ("Roger's Rangers"), they do wear stripes (shure, these stripes could also be textured leather-brown instead of white). But again, I made this new texture for my personal taste ;)

I like your changes. :)
But since Schmiddie created the graphis for the Rangers in the first place, I think it is fair to have him decide how they should look like. :thumbsup:

When I made the Hessian Unit for TAC some time ago, I did them with white pants, based on pictures. It's right, that these Jägers also wore green pants. I don't know who changed the pants into beige, but I just didn't like that colour and so I changed it back to white :crazyeye:

To be honest, I don't really care that much if the pants are "white" or "beige".
As long as they still wear pants at all ... :)

Hi all,

I've been playing CivCol from Vanilla on, switched to TAC later and have now played games with both 1.0 and 1.1 of R&R: I have to say you guys did an awesome job here! Thanks a lot to you all (including the TAC-team) for making CivCol a great game! :)

I like almost all of the new features, especially the additional yields - it makes cities much more unique in my opinion. One think I would like to see in R&R is the highest buildings using some of the new yields and manufactored goods (for example, universities could definitely use some furniture, rum for the naval shipyard was already in TAC, taverns could need some beer/wine and so on). The problem I have with the current approach is that most manufactored goods (except tools production chain and hemp for ships) just feel like another kind of cash waiting to be converted at slightly different prices.

But that's just one very small issues; like I said I very much enjoy playing with R&R and am looking forward to your next releases very much.

Heartsbane

I've been playing CivCol from Vanilla on, switched to TAC later and have now played games with both 1.0 and 1.1 of R&R: I have to say you guys did an awesome job here! Thanks a lot to you all (including the TAC-team) for making CivCol a great game! :)

Thanks for the nice feedback. :)
Basically it pretty much reflects what we want to do.

One think I would like to see in R&R is the highest buildings using some of the new yields and manufactored goods.

We explicitly do not do this because AI cannot handle it very well.
It would lead to AI almost not building higher levels of buildings at all.
(Please understand that AI is not as smart as the human player and extremely bad in planning ahead.)

The more you mix strategic yields with yields for sale, the less competitive AI will be ...

I very much enjoy playing with R&R and am looking forward to your next releases very much.

It should not be too long until our Release 1.2. :)
(Release 1.2 will focus on improvements, fixes and performance.)

Back to Col after a long time of other stuff. Amazed to find that someone finally got the act together and created a worthy succesor to Dos-Col. I have spent a huge amount on time on DosCol and a chunk on C4C to. Very well done, feels like the game I hoped the unmodded variant was on release.

Amazed to find that someone finally got the act together and created a worthy succesor to Dos-Col.

Thanks for the kind feedback. :)

This mod is still in development.
We plan to add much more interesting features and improvements.
Every week Religion and Revolution gets a little bit bigger and better.

Top Bottom