brazil cultural victory with cichen itza question

pandasaurus21

Chieftain
So, currently im trying to play brazil.
And im trying to build cichen itza since its significant for brazil.
My question is. Is it possible to build cichen itza on king and above? With brazil and their jungle start?
I play tradition, tech order was writing, then I build great library, mining for tree cutting, then rush all the way to civil service.

And I wonder if I should set my city to prod. Focus (building wonder) or just set it to default focus (for population and science)?

Is that a correct way to buikd cichen itza in king and above?

Thanks in advance

You can build any wonder on king or emperor, but you may have to adjust for it, especially on the latter. I don't play them enough, but I'd expect CI to go around T115 on king and T105 on emperor.

Brazil makes early production difficult if you have much jungle, consider chopping some jungle hills. You'll need some hammers. Also, Liberty is quite useful for the worker speed (as are the pyramids). Of course, you could just move your capital to the edge of the jungle and settle your other cities in it. This is usually the best option.

What about the great library, is it a right way to go? Or should I build national college instead?

you can hurry Chichen Itza with a great engineer from the liberty finisher
and you'd better run a money economy with brazilwood camps
with liberty you can settle your whole jungle area fast

you'll have tons of culture, gold and science. having many cities will help to host more artifacts and great works. you also can found a religion to get sacred path to have even more culture from jungle tiles, and buying artists with faith later.

Sorry I mean, is liberty better than tradition for brazil?
Bcause I like tradition better

(cant edit post from my phone)

I would honestly forgo the Great Library. With Brazil's lack of early production, building that is really going to cripple you. If production really is a problem, Liberty is the way to go. The Brazilwood camps on Jungle tiles pretty much negate any negatives Liberty has (culture, gold, and science). Tech order would probably be Pottery, Luxury Tech, Bronze Working (clear jungle and reveal Iron), then Writing and Philosophy. You'll initially be a bit behind in science, but you'll have set yourself up well. Depending on how much jungle you have, you may consider the Pyramids since it takes forever to do anything on those tiles, including chopping them down.

Ya, just realize, im suffering with production.

But ixias, with no GL and your tech order, is it possible to get cichen itza?

I'm thinking maybe go Pottery to Writing, but instead of the Great Library, build a Settler and regular Library. I'd have to try it out, but usually you should be finishing Liberty around that time, so you could use the finisher for a Great Engineer? Do you have any screenshots or a save? I can boot up a game tonight and try it on Emperor and post back.

What about the great library, is it a right way to go? Or should I build national college instead?

Actually when building GL the whole point is to pick Philosophy (which is really expensive at that point) and immediately build NC. (Follow this up by 2 settlers back to back to catch up on city founding.)

So liberty is better than tradition for brazil?

For me when I play any civ, I'd personally do better with Tradition than Liberty (or Piety) but I'm an expert exploiting the mechanics that help Tradition.

On world wonders in general, you are somewhat less likely with Brazil to have a great hammer start than on average, but its still widely variable. In fact in my own games as Brazil I had a near-Jungle start rather than in the middle of it.

Just beeline Civil Service with mining and bronze working before that. Even if you go Tradition you want Citizenship unlocked and the Pyramids built so you can turn all those jungle hills into mines asap. Picking Sacred Path as your pantheon will ensure your culture is top notch.

I have also had luck bulbing Iron working from GL to get Colossus.

I would use Tradition for Brazil, as you probably dont want many cities to keep you happiness up to allow you to get the most golden ages possible. Plus, less cities, taller cities, more great people, more great artists, more golden ages... I would also suggest going straight for Chichen with your research after you get writing, dont waste production on settlers, buy the first one, then build the other 2 in your 2nd city. You kind of have to get lucky and hope you dont have plantation resources, as its just extra tech that isn't necessary for Chichen.

I would use Tradition for Brazil, as you probably dont want many cities to keep you happiness up to allow you to get the most golden ages possible.

Actually as the strategy that Killmeplease posted states, it is a better idea to avoid golden ages as Brazil as much as possible until you have a good amount of tourism.
That's because the more golden ages you have the higher the requirement to trigger another one becomes, and a golden age popped as Brazil with no tourism is a totally wasted golden age.

So you actually want to have the least happiness as possible in the early phases, so you can safely go for liberty if you want, at any rate it's not happiness issues that should prevent you from taking it.

Chichen Itza is definitely possible to get as Brazil but it might be tricky and it might not always work on Emperor and above. If you want to improve your chances keep an Engineer ready and beeline for Civil Service. The Liberty finisher isn't necessary, if you play your cards right, you'll have an Engineer by that time anyway.

Actually as the strategy that Killmeplease posted states, it is a better idea to avoid golden ages as Brazil as much as possible until you have a good amount of tourism.
That's because the more golden ages you have the higher the requirement to trigger another one becomes, and a golden age popped as Brazil with no tourism is a totally wasted golden age.

So you actually want to have the least happiness as possible in the early phases, so you can safely go for liberty if you want, at any rate it's not happiness issues that should prevent you from taking it.

Chichen Itza is definitely possible to get as Brazil but it might be tricky and it might not always work on Emperor and above. If you want to improve your chances keep an Engineer ready and beeline for Civil Service. The Liberty finisher isn't necessary, if you play your cards right, you'll have an Engineer by that time anyway.

This makes more sense, although, it really depends when you get your first tourism for when you get your first golden age, but yea, saving them for the end is nice, however, often times I have had 2 or 3 leftover artist at the end of my game because I was waiting for a decent amount of tourism. The main reason I would suggest Tradition, is so you have generally taller cities, and therefor have a better ability to generate Artists. It also allows your capital to simply be better overall, and therefor makes it much easier to build Chichen. Along with Tradition simply being a much better tree, as you have the ability to purchase Great Engineers in the future, which helps for this kind of victory (Taj Mahal), and you really only lose that first great person, which really isn't a big deal if you have 4 or 5 more by the end of the game.

EDIT: also, tradition is generally better for building wonders in the mid-late game, and wonders are what are going to give you the most tourism on the mid difficulties (so science is necessary), and therefor in the long run, I would always take Tradition, as the early benefits of Liberty dont really help you with this kind of victory, as a Tourism victory is an extremely late game focused victory, unlike Science or Culture.

on king it would be pretty easy to get Chitchen Itza for us more experienced players. Civil Service is a highly desirable tech on the way to education anyway. You should easily pass the AI in tech during the medieval with a relatively early 2-3 city NC and sending food trade routes to your capital. GL is not necessary, but you can go for it in a good hammer starting location. Brazil doesn't tend to really get those starts though.

I tend to agree tradition is preferable for culture games, though liberty can be good in the right situation. Landed elite & monarchy are good at making your capital big and productive, better than the small hammer bonus in liberty if your goal is to build wonders. Not to mention aristocracy of course.

Top Bottom