Best Civilization For Dominination

My only beef with Camel Archers is that they need Horses. HORSES I TELL YOU. HORSES. :wallbash:

The Celts are also great for Domination actually,, once you're good at it. They don't have a great UU, but getting a religion and their UB help with happiness, which is very challenging when playing Domination. Same with Indonesia.

However, the best civ for Domination is Mongolia, by a mile. Keshiks make domination a walk in the park on any difficulty.

Camel Archers are the single best unit in the game, (not including Shakas which I have never played), if you use them right they can take and entire continent in 50 turns with only 1 or 2 melee units.

Oh, Impis are awesome, and their ranged first strike thing carries over as a promotion. Get dozens of them while you can!

Germany. Lower price for unit maintenance. And the 'barbarians will sometimes join you' means you get an army VERY EARLY ON that you don't have to build or pay for.

Germany is my first pick for domination.

Germany. Lower price for unit maintenance. And the 'barbarians will sometimes join you' means you get an army VERY EARLY ON that you don't have to build or pay for.

Germany is my first pick for domination.

Wouldn't call them domination oriented. But they are very good at domination perhaps better than 3/4 of the civs out there. Their new UB makes them more peaceful and diplomatic.

Ottomans are similar to Germany. Barbary Corsairs FTW.

How is Sweden not domination oriented? 2 UU and a UA that gives you something to do with all the GG you'll spawn. And why are the Ottomans below the Inca? Janissaries are super powerful; the Inca UU is terrible, and hill movement is nice, but it's not that big of a deal.

How is Sweden not domination oriented? 2 UU and a UA that gives you something to do with all the GG you'll spawn. And why are the Ottomans below the Inca? Janissaries are super powerful; the Inca UU is terrible, and hill movement is nice, but it's not that big of a deal.
First of all the tiers are not by rank. They are more like categories.
Sweden is not domination oriented because its UA focus on DoF and city states. Having two UUs doesn't make you domination oriented.
Hill movement for Inca means you can move your archers on hill and shoot on the same turn. This is game breaking.
Ottoman is powerful but trickier to play. Same with Denmark.

Germany is so badly ranked ?

Using germany with raging barbs and honor opening pretty much allows you to max a 2 town army in less than 60 turns. Allowed me to clear an entire continent (3 civs) in immortal in less than 110 turn and before meeting anyone over-see. Was a blessed game !

Really, germany with its UA, UB and UU is a solid choice. You get help at 3 different stages of the game : Antic by taking barbs, medieval with the Hanse that gives a prod boost for city state trade routes, which is handy as everyone will hate you and renaissance requires a nice prod buff, and late game with the panzer, the ridiculously overpowered 1st gen tank.

Of course it's no kechik or OP ikanda but hey.

I would honestly say Arabia. Camel archers are just too good, as shown in MP where everyone will rush you with comp bows. And they have extra oil, which means more bombers and battleships. It's also easier for them to keep up because they have extra luxuries.

Russia can be good for domination.

As far as I'm concerned, Germany's Hanse and Panzers are irrelevant. The barb camps yield so much stuff that the game's already decided by mid Renaissance. And in my last German game, the game was literally over just one tech into Medieval. You really have to tweak the settings like go Deity, archipelago, turn off barbs to un-OP them.

I'm thinking maybe England on a small continents map

England is excellent for domination games. They start out slow but with an extra spy and some of the best UU in the game they quickly catch up. With a fleet of SotL along with some privateers you can take down anything that is on the coast. Longbows are excellent both offensively and defensively.

I like to start with tradition and only really need one wonder, the Great Lighthouse. Anything else is just a bonus. After you have set up 3-4 strong production coastal cities it is time to open up Exploration to make those coastal cities even stronger. First you get an extra movement and one extra sight for opening Exploration. That means your SotL will move 9 tiles and have 2 extra sight as England with the Great Lighthouse, try to upgrade them to get extra range and you will have battleships in the renaissance.

That extra spy can of course be used to steal technologies but also to move in to cities you want to bombard with your longbows (or range upgraded SotL) but who dont have the sight to see it from 3 tiles out. Knock the cities defence down then quickly move in with a melee unit to take the city. I am not 100% sure the spy works that way with units who dont have the indirect fire promotion. I think I have used them that way anyway.

England is along with Babylon imo the most fun civ to play even do they are not very strong to begin with.

England is very good on suffle map. No matter if it's land or water based. They have excellent units for both map types.

What about Japan? They can be good for domination.

Top Bottom