Is there interest in a unit making tutorial?

Would you use a unit making tutorial?

• No, this is an unnecessary waste of time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

utahjazz7

Deity
Perhaps some of you have seen earlier today that in the thread for my longbowman unit released a couple of weeks ago, Boewulf asked about writing a detailed step-by-step tutorial for making units. This happens to coincide nicely with an assignement I have for school, where I have to make an instructional website. So, I thought that this unit making tutorial could be done to fulfill the requirements of the assignment.

However, making a website for creating CivIII units would take a lot more time than I would need to spend to just finish the assignment. So, I wanted to gauge interest in this project. First of all, I'm not too sure how many people would want to use it. This is because I'm not sure how many people have the programs necessary (Poser4 or 5 and a version of Paintshop Pro) and of those who do, how many would want to create units. The other problem is that CivIV is around the corner--sort of--so the tutorial might not be useful for very long.

If I were to write the tutorial, it would be as detailed and comprehensive as needed to make a unit the way that I do it. It would begin with assembling the model--but not actually creating figures and props, then cover animating, rendering, storyboard building, and on and on until the unit was complete and ready to be posted at civfanatics. If you have any thoughts on the matter, please post them below and vote in the poll. :)

utahjazz7 said:
The other problem is that CivIV is around the corner--sort of--so the tutorial might not be useful for very long.

Even after CivIV it would still be useful. Once you buy CivIV no one is going to stop you from playing Civ3.

I say go for it. It can't hurt. :)

utahjazz7 said:
The other problem is that CivIV is around the corner--sort of--so the tutorial might not be useful for very long.
Isn't it likely that the skills required will be similar in CivIII and CivIV? At least if people have a crack at doing a CivIII unit, it will start them on the road to unit making. Also, I would think that CivIII will still be around for a very long time yet.

I'd definitely give you the go ahead nod.

I've thought about making one myself several times, but never got around to it. I've written out the whole process step-by-step at least half a dozen times for would be future creators, but didn't think to compile the notes. :rolleyes: A tutorial like this would be a real time/energy saver to just point to in the future.

I'm refusing to buy CivIV until I'm finished modding CivIII anyhow, so I'm game. Of course, the longer folks make CivIII units, the longer it will be before I finish my modding! ;)

It sounds like a great idea, you might include this poll thread in your school assignment. Proff might appreciate your "market research" to test the waters, so to speak... :goodjob:

Personally, I have PSP 9 and I've tried making units from scratch, but I hit a glitch and I think it has something to do with the Octree palette or transparency issues in the flic. I'd REALLY appreciate someone putting in a step-by-step tutorial that covers these issues. Go for it!

A tutorial would be nice. Now I just need time for those Norman Heavy Infantry to do. ;-)

I think it would be very helpful. I can't be the only one who has wanted a specific unit and wished, if he could find it nowhere else, that he could just do it himself. As for Civ IV, it's also possible they'll ruin it like Master of Orion was ruined in its last release. I hope they don't, but this could end up being the best Civ in the dynasty. And if not, as R8XFT said, those skills will likely still be useful.

Definately. Ive been looking for a steb by step for months. I hope you make one! What program(s) would you be using?

I definately need this tutorial! This summer I am going to try to ship out some of my own units instead of relying so heavily on others' work (and being so helpless in how things work!)

Hrafnkell said:
I think it would be very helpful. I can't be the only one who has wanted a specific unit and wished, if he could find it nowhere else, that he could just do it himself. As for Civ IV, it's also possible they'll ruin it like Master of Orion was ruined in its last release. I hope they don't, but this could end up being the best Civ in the dynasty. And if not, as R8XFT said, those skills will likely still be useful.

Great point... I sure was looking forward to MOO3, but instead I am still playing MOO2 and cursing Quicksilver for both robbing me of $50.00 and even more for what they did to one of the greatest game franchises in histroy.

Any one want to buy a copy of Master of Orion 3 in nearly mint condition?

Back on topic....
I would welcome advise from anyone that has the tools and process for making units down.

Well, so far, 28 people say that they want to make their own units, so I guess if we get 20-or-so more unit creators, it will be worth my while to make the tutorial. I'm still wondering why about the 200-some people didn't respond though; should I count those as people who vote that it would be a waste of time? Hmm . . .

Since it seems rather likely that I'll make the tutorial, I'm trying to decide on a unit to make as an example. I'd like to make a unit type that will be the most helpful for the creation of the most units in the future. So, I think that a swordsman or spearman unit would be the best. Are there any thoughts or suggestions about that?

@Kinboat: Did I really see your name under voting to make the tutorial? Yes, I really think that you need my help. ;)

utahjazz7 said:
@Kinboat: Did I really see your name under voting to make the tutorial? Yes, I really think that you need my help. ;)

You can see who voted what on the Poll? Why does that not strike me as a good thing?

utahjazz7 said:
Since it seems rather likely that I'll make the tutorial, I'm trying to decide on a unit to make as an example. I'd like to make a unit type that will be the most helpful for the creation of the most units in the future. So, I think that a swordsman or spearman unit would be the best. Are there any thoughts or suggestions about that?

OH! OH! Do a Goth! With a big wooden shield and an axe or sword, plain clothing and one of thoes pointy metal helmets!

Like this Feller

Basically, I voted that I would like it but probably wouldn't make any units myself. This is due to a lack of time basically... However, a easy, readable tutorial might just inspire others to make things themselves.

Top Bottom