Viking slavers

wombatoftruth

Chieftain
I wouldn't exactly describe this as a particularly cost-effective way of waging war, but it can be fun. After securing my home continent in a game I'd changed the minimum research times to 12 turns on, I ended up at war with a couple of the civs on the other main continent. I had a rather large fleet of FFs at the time, and so started bombarding any improved coastal squares I could find, which of course brought out droves of workers trying to fix things. For the heck of it, I decided to see how many workers I could capture. A few armies of berserkers is a rather fun way to steel all those workers trying to fix up coastal areas, since they can unload directly into the square being worked (I think I may have had to mod the army stats in the editor so that it was capable of amphious assaults) and the AI won't attack the army. You'll need a few extra ships to take all your new workers home, but it's surprisingly satisfying, and so long as you maintain a clear naval superiority, it makes for a rather profitable war in the long run. Obviously you could do the same thing with armies of marines later on. Just curious if anybody else enjoyed doing this as well.

wombatoftruth said:
I wouldn't exactly describe this as a particularly cost-effective way of waging war, but it can be fun. After securing my home continent in a game I'd changed the minimum research times to 12 turns on, I ended up at war with a couple of the civs on the other main continent. I had a rather large fleet of FFs at the time, and so started bombarding any improved coastal squares I could find, which of course brought out droves of workers trying to fix things. For the heck of it, I decided to see how many workers I could capture. A few armies of berserkers is a rather fun way to steel all those workers trying to fix up coastal areas, since they can unload directly into the square being worked (I think I may have had to mod the army stats in the editor so that it was capable of amphious assaults) and the AI won't attack the army. You'll need a few extra ships to take all your new workers home, but it's surprisingly satisfying, and so long as you maintain a clear naval superiority, it makes for a rather profitable war in the long run. Obviously you could do the same thing with armies of marines later on. Just curious if anybody else enjoyed doing this as well.

Sure... been doing that for a while. And you do not need amphibious assault. Any unit can capture workers while landing. I bomb the heck out of an area I plan to invade, wait for the workers, capture the workers as my invasion force lands, and then move the workers onto the ships that the troops just came off of. :goodjob:

Top Bottom