The Ancient Mediterranean MOD

Is the only way to play this mod with the map included, is to manually load the map from the world-builder once you start a normal game? Then it lets you pick a civ? Because thats the only way i've been able to use the map. Seems kind of non intuitive..

This looks quite promising, thamis.

Two words about the Gauls, first of all, a golden torque or a boar or boar head might be a better symbol than your otherwise very nice celtic knot. The torque was a symbol of royalty/chieftains, the boar was one of the war symbols like the eagle and S.P.Q.R. for the Romans. Though the knot is nice, it's more Celt than Gallic.

I think you could use Brennus as a hero. I'm sure you remember how he threw his heavy iron sword on the scales weighting the gold the Romans were about to give out for peace, yelling 'Vae victis'.

I am going just a little bit to contribute of light on the personage of Sertorio and reasons for which it does not have to be leader of any Iberian faction, in any case like Roman special unit. His biography in a better english: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertorius

1. - This man killed many Iberos. When by order of blunt the pretor Didio was sent to Spain along with, they lodged in a celtíbera city called "Cazlona" (Thamis another city more), where their soldiers incurred offenses to the inhabitants of the city which requested aid to the neighboring city "Orisia " (Thamis another city). Secretly the soldiers of Orisia and Cazlona entered the city and marries according to house went assassinating the Romans who as much had offended to them. Sertorio escaped and its revenge was received assassinating to all the inhabitants with age to take arms of the two cities.

2. - He was a politic man, simply settled down in Spain to have a refuge for his political friends in Rome (where its situation was very difficult). Let us remember that it was in favor of "Carbon", and was "Sila" the one that governed in Roma.Arrived here and rearmed the Romans.

3. - One became general of the Lusitanos, when these requested military board to him, since Iberian didn't have generals. Their ruses to gain the esteem of these (not very contentments with having a foreign general) widely are known, is famous their ruse with red deer:

One Iberian called Espano, who lives in the field, meet with a baby deer that fled from the hunters; and to this one it let it go; but to the musk deer, astonished at its color, because it was all white, it persecuted it and it reached it. Was accidentally Sertorio encamped in environs, and as it received with affability to which they took some present to him, or were of hunting, or of the fruits of the field, compensating with generosity to which therefore they did flattery to him, this one also appeared to him to give the musk deer to him. Accepted it , and was not great in the beginning the pleasure that declared; but with time, having itself made so tame and docile, that it went when called it, and it followed to him anywhere that it went, without being frightened of the bustle and military noise, little by little was divinized, we say it it thus, making think that that deer had been a present of Diana (a God), and scattering the voice of which revealed the hidden things to him, by knowledge that the Barbarians are naturally very inclined to the superstition. In order to credit it more, it was used this means: when reserved and secretly it got to understand that the enemies were going to invade their territory, or tried to separate of his obedient to a city, he pretended that deer had spoken to him in the hours of the dream, coming up to him that he had the troops to point. On the other hand, if warning of which occurred him some of its generals had reached a victory, hid to which it had brought it, and presented/displayed to deer crowned like announcer of good new, exciting them to be glad and to sacrifice the Gods, because shortly fausta had to arrive one the news..

4.- Since we have commented Sertorio were a politic man and it used to the íberos in the internal Rome fights (winning its affection with gold and ruses). The battles disputed against other Roman factions are multiple. It died assassinated..

Skeeder said:
Is the only way to play this mod with the map included, is to manually load the map from the world-builder once you start a normal game? Then it lets you pick a civ? Because thats the only way i've been able to use the map. Seems kind of non intuitive..

You can just double-click the map in the PublicMaps folder, that is the easiest way.

You can also load civ, load the mod, and then select "load scenario" and choose the map.

@Kargath:

Hey old chap! Good to see you back. Good to hear that you're working on units and promotions. I will create a new tech tree, though, so don't bother with mapping them onto the current one. The blacksmith buildings idea is cool, but I think having the resource should give a *significant* advantage.

A bigger map is also cool, since a few people have complained... I'm just afraid that it won't be able to run on a normal PC.

@Sword Dancer:

Thanks for your kind words on TAM-C3. I hope TAM-C4 will be even better.

I won't be adding new leaders until very late in the project, because each leader has 19 XML references spread over several files. It's a pain...

Iberia was most known for its slingers, so that'll be the UU. There were many good cavalry civs back then, slingers are just so... special.

@Nemovadit:

Thanks for the Boar suggestion. Now I just have to find a nice and simple boar relief. Brennus would make a good hero indeed.

@SpritiViriato:

I won't use Quintus Sertorius, but one of the brothers mentioned earlier.

thamis said:
Heroes would be national units that each civilization can only build one of. They are very expensive and are obviously also very good. Each civilization would be able to build their hero with the technology that the hero would become available.

First of all your mod looks fantastic, I can't wait to play this. The ancient age has always been my favorite historical era and also the era that's the most fun in civ :goodjob:

Now about the heroes, I like the idea but not the notion of them being super units with double strength. I didn't play your civ3 mod so I don't know how it worked out there. My suggestion would be to make the hero very weak instead (basically 0 strength) but give him/her the ability to add certain promotion(s) to units in the same stack (and maybe somewhat weaker promotions to units in adjacent squares). I know nothing about modding but I figure this would be possible since it's already in the game in the form of the Medic promotions. For example, Attila would give a stack increased movement or superior flanking and Alexander could get a bonus against elephants (or mounted units). It should be relatively small bonuses so as not to throw off the balance of the game. It's not a new concept by any means of course, I remember Warlords having something like this and I always thought it was a great concept. Anyway, just a suggestion, keep up the good work :king:

Didn't see this as part of the V.07 update but when I played V.06 as Rome I started with no known techs. Was this your intent?

Indibil sounds good no? More iberian name than Mardonio.

I'm agree with you in the slingers, cavalry and infantery Iberian were good, but the mod must to be with diversity and different units and strategy's.

Soon, i put you the second part of iberian units and information about Balearic Slingers.

thamis said:
The blacksmith buildings idea is cool, but I think having the resource should give a *significant* advantage.

I'm working on more generic units and putting the emphasis on promotions, they'll play a much bigger role now. So yeah, we need to make Iron give a significant XP advantage, I was just giving an example of the application, it will probably be a much higher XP bonus.

I dunno if I'm trying too hard to make it different tho, but it usually turned out good in TAM when I tried, so...

Units are going to be divided in new types/classes:
Light (Archer, Javelineer)
Medium (Swordsman, Axeman)
Heavy (Spearman, Pikeman)
Light Mounted (Chariot, Horse Archer)
Heavy Mounted (Cavalry, Knight)
Siege (Catapult, Balista)
Naval (Galley, Trireme)

I need promotions/tactics ideas in 6 categories, it can include warfare tactics (Shock, Flank), formations/stance (Turtle) and such:
Offense
Defense
Support
Mobility
Artillery
Naval

Overall I'd like 6 proms in each category, split in 3 tiers that gives generic modifiers(Offense 1, Offense 2, Offense 3). Most units will have access to 2 categories, so that means about 18 possible promotions (category + tiers) plus some generic/special ones. For example, maybe Archer will have Support/Defense and Javelineer Support/Mobility.

I'll post what I have soon, this was just a preview, I just need to compile everything and I badly need some free time =)

@ Karhgath:
Is there any way to bring back the old Civ III concept of 'Enslave'? I can see foot and horse units becoming Workers, while naval and siege units would be captured, where the unit is merely transferred to the capturing civ's forces intact. Yes, this could result in one civ gaining a UU of another or a ship that is currently beyond the tech level of the capturing civ, but without the ability to replace that ship, should it be sunk.

Perhaps for this ability to work, the civ must have slavery enables as a civic?

Just a random, sleep-deprived musing...

The Last Conformist said:
I think Theodericus (that's the usual Latin spelling, IIUC) deserves to be LH, not a mere hero. Possible replacements as hero include Alaricus, Teias - the last Ostrogoth king, supposedly a truly exceptional warrior -, and Ermannaricus.

I agree with you, although the spelling in latin is Teodoricus.

@Thamis

What about Androkles as heroe for Lydia ? He isn't lydian, but still...
Or else King Ati or King Tyrsenoi.

For Phoenicia, it's hard to find a hero that is not Hiram or Dido.
I would use Dido as hero for Phoenicia and Hannibal as leader fo Carthage.

I wouldn't use Sargon II as a hero for Babylon as he wasn't exactly Babylonian. There are many Babylonian kings you can choose as heroes... or eventually Gilgamesh.

In the end I wanted to point out that you probably missed something in the to-do list:

- add a list of ancient only Great People

@onedreamer:

I'm going to stick with the German "Alarich" and "Theoderich", they were Germanic people after all.

There is Sargon of Assyria, and Sargon II of Babylonia. Of course we could use someone else though.

I'm going to find some Phoenician hero who is not Hiram or Dido. ;-)

Great map ! I just finish my first Noble game on it !

But there are no "modern ressources" (oil, coal, uranium, aluminium). Is it on purpose ?

TAM was the best modification/scenerio in Civ3 by far. I hope you live up to the same amount of polish and completeness that it had.

@ Sword Dancer

Obviously, with the SDK, creating new ability like capture/enslave will be possible. Now, would that be a good and fun mechanism? Probably for ships, I dunno for the rest.

It could be a promotion or unit ability. You could upgrade the % of chance of enslave maybe?

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to create lots of new mechanism with the SDK, or so I hope. Having modded other games and done total conversion with SDKs (Half-Life 1, Quake, etc) it's usually pretty powerful, but MUCH more complex and requires tons of planning and such. We'll see when they release it.

Top Bottom