World War II in the Pacific

This game is designed for the Americans
What does that mean ? Some major drawbacks when playing other civs ? :rolleyes:

No. :rolleyes: It means I haven't had time to balance it properly for all the civs, and right now the total experience, the challenge and whatnot, is best reflected when you play as the Americans.

Many more changes are coming.

I think it is pretty good as the Commonwealth to, even though I am having a jolly stroll marching through the Japanese home Island (It isn't that easy actually). But of course all my marines and ANZACS got a lot of experience marching through the mainland China routing the Japanese. Plus 20 or so B-29's sitting in Okinawa doesn't hurt you know..

I've tried up until mid-1942 as the United States, and it looks even better than I thought before I started. The scripted events are by far the best part- the suspense around Midway was great.

Only a few minor comments- it seems as if the USSR starts at war with Japan. Maybe this has something to do with me using your programming thing to change the US, China, and Commonwealth to the same team? It was easily rectifiable in the worldbuilder, but that should probably be fixed.

Also, when the Japanese conquer cities, it seems to continue saying things like "Palembang (Wilhelmina) has been conquered by the Japanese!" over and over again, around five times- and it sometimes happens again the next turn. This may occur with other civ's as well, they just haven't captured any cities yet :p

The USSR starts at war with Japan? :eek: How did that happen? (Anybody else notice this?) I can assure you, that never happened for me when I tested it. Good grief, I tried to script it to happen in August of '45 and it wouldn't even work! Are you sure you didn't change the USSR team accidentally or something?

I haven't seen it display 5 messages about a city capture per turn but that might be a bug. I'll check into it.

Middle Snu:
About the ZIP file, when I get to a more finalized version I may post a regular .zip instead of .7z for Mac users. It'll be twice as large, though.

Still playing as China at Sep 1942. I also think the scripting events are very nicely done :goodjob: It makes the game very realistic.

Like I previously mentioned, I suppose the map could be improved to look more realistic - I am just refering to the landscape which shouldn't affect game balance. I also still think Siberia and Alaska could be compressed even if you want to keep it for your scripting events.

Having it said, I suppose your scripts are hard coded to the map so you probably wouldn't want to modify the map anyway.

Playing as China at Noble difficulty, I feel the game balance is fairly good. It took me all my effort to keep at stalemate with the Japs in the north, while I can slowly swallow Indochina city by city. The Jap is constantly bombing everywhere in china, which destroyed most of my improvements - very furstrated but very realistic.

China in the game is a bit technologically too advance. It is about the same as the other civs! And I don't China have used tanks in WW2. The cities are also too developed to be historical.

I suppose to bring back the game balance, you could add more cities for China and add more army for China - China at most of the time was fighting 4 vs 1 to Japan in the mainland. You may also add a new unit for the Chinese called the "Red Army" which should be cheap, and distribute in northern china.

Major updates are on the way...

EDIT: All right, so enough people are complaining that I will post the next version in regular zip format, not .7z, for our MAC friends. This will also include scripted reinforcements for the U.S. (probably by turn more than conquest) to better balance it for Japan.

Cool, I can't wait! :)

Okay, I've playing around in python some more, and I will set capture-triggered reinforcements for China and America if they are AI civs. I've also added some more events to represent the storyline better -- Kwajalein, Truk, an alternate VJ-Day announcement if Japan wins, and the big one.... the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Oh yeah. :spear:

Has anyone else reported the USSR at war with Japan? I haven't seen that personally. Also, has anyone built the new Naval Academy national wonder? I think there's a problem with that which I will try to fix in the next release.

[Post 800!]

Okay, I've playing around in python some more, and I will set capture-triggered reinforcements for China and America if they are AI civs. I've also added some more events to represent the storyline better -- Kwajalein, Truk, an alternate VJ-Day announcement if Japan wins, and the big one.... the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Oh yeah. :spear:

Has anyone else reported the USSR at war with Japan? I haven't seen that personally. Also, has anyone built the new Naval Academy national wonder? I think there's a problem with that which I will try to fix in the next release.

[Post 800!]

About the UUSR/Japanese war. I didn't get a good look but I did go to Stalin to see if I could convince him to help, and I don't think I could select the option for him to declare war on Japan. Now that I think of it he was at war with them. I do not think it made any difference though.

I don't know where you guys are getting this, but I just loaded the scenario as the Japanese and checked and Stalin most definitely was not at war with Japan. If you're referring to the lack of diplomatic option to ask him to go to war, it's because I have the game locked into "always war or peace" so the AI can't make peace.

Ok, I see, I never really had a good look at it anyways. And he never made a difference either way so I didn't check it too far.

That was probably what it was then.

Gaius, with this amazing Pacific scenario I'm sure your next Atlantic scenario will be top-notch. I guess you're waiting for BTS expansion to enable that 101st Airborne Division.
My opinion, this Pacific scenario is less realistic, for Japan's purpose for occupying Asia is to gain it's resource. If you can obtain a mod that can count resource gaining/spending-per turn please load it to your scenario.
For the Atlantic scenario, you wont need resource counter for it's realistic scope. While Hitler are just pure evil, Allied are so desperate to survive.
Once again, it's just my opinion.

I don't know where you guys are getting this, but I just loaded the scenario as the Japanese and checked and Stalin most definitely was not at war with Japan. If you're referring to the lack of diplomatic option to ask him to go to war, it's because I have the game locked into "always war or peace" so the AI can't make peace.

I think that USSR entered the war in the last week´s of it but in my game they did not attack me and US did not bomb me and I did win de war and gained parts of the west coast LA SD :)

Here's that pillage roads mod I was a reffering to =)

Look in theLopez's mod component library under "improvements outside borders\route pillaging," that will allow you to target roads in the enemy's territory and your own.

If you can obtain a mod that can count resource gaining/spending-per turn please load it to your scenario.

Are you talking about a quantitative resource system? Because I'm in the process of working on something like that as we speak. It would work here very well.

Top Bottom