New to civ 5 have a few questions after playing for 20 hrs

alexcross

Chieftain
Hi im new to civ 5 just got it last week, I played civ 4 so im not totally new to the series. I have a few questions about the game.

1. How do I access spys I looked everywhere and cant find a way to get them out espionage was one of my favorite aspects of past civs.

2.Is there any way to set the ai to a more rational setting it seems no matter what I do war is inevitable with my neighbors (now im fine with this part as in ancent times this was more the norm than the exception.) but when I take them down the new civs I meet and have met claim im a war monger and wont deal with me even though three nations tried to team up against me a whipe me out, if there is no setting to fix this is there a mod I mean the ai really is messed up from what I have seen so far.

3. does anyone know why the end game replay was taken out? and if they are planning on bringing it back?

in closing I dont know what to think of the game so far there are some pros and cons but im going to give it some more time before making my final decison. I do like that relegion was removed I know alot of people liked it but being relegious myself it limited me as even in play I could not make a nation that had a different relegion than mine.

There's no espionage and ending replay in civ 5

the list of "NOs" is far bigger than the "Yes"... "welcome" to civ5.

Hi im new to civ 5 just got it last week, I played civ 4 so im not totally new to the series. I have a few questions about the game.

1. How do I access spys I looked everywhere and cant find a way to get them out espionage was one of my favorite aspects of past civs.

2.Is there any way to set the ai to a more rational setting it seems no matter what I do war is inevitable with my neighbors (now im fine with this part as in ancent times this was more the norm than the exception.) but when I take them down the new civs I meet and have met claim im a war monger and wont deal with me even though three nations tried to team up against me a whipe me out, if there is no setting to fix this is there a mod I mean the ai really is messed up from what I have seen so far.

3. does anyone know why the end game replay was taken out? and if they are planning on bringing it back?

in closing I dont know what to think of the game so far there are some pros and cons but im going to give it some more time before making my final decison. I do like that relegion was removed I know alot of people liked it but being relegious myself it limited me as even in play I could not make a nation that had a different relegion than mine.

Very likely because the game was released 1-2 years too early in order to placate 2K Games' shareholders. They wanted to cash in as soon as possible. End game replays as well as a number of other things were very low priority.

You will notice with time that the early game is a lot funner and more interesting than the end game which feels rushed and incomplete. There's a reason for that. :(

Anyway, keep playing so that you can come up with an objective decision on the game.

2. The AI is pretty ******ed diplomacy-wise. While I usually don't get those giant military dogpiles everybody is talking of, I do get some weird stuff like Isabella denouncing me when I had a Declaration of Friendship with her (if she's like that with her friends, she must be one hell of a wife then). I find that my true friends are usually the civs with a high tolerance for warmongering (Alexander, Montezuma, Napoleon, etc.) since you WILL get caught in wars sooner or later (and the AI is very prissy when it comes to "warmongering"). Just don't become too militarily powerful (I find that the AI reacts very strongly to high empire size and high troop numbers, but not to high technology levels), don't eliminate other civs and don't raze cities, and you should get a few friends (just don't expect everyone to love you, hold hands with you and sing together or whatever).

Very likely because the game was released 1-2 years too early in order to placate 2K Games' shareholders. They wanted to cash in as soon as possible. End game replays as well as a number of other things were very low priority.

You will notice with time that the early game is a lot funner and more interesting than the end game which feels rushed and incomplete. There's a reason for that. :(

Anyway, keep playing so that you can come up with an objective decision on the game.

thanks for your reply, I guess most game company's are just rushing games out now.

thanks for your reply, I guess most game company's are just rushing games out now.

Sadly, it has become the norm.

Except for Blizzard. They go to the opposite extremes though. Still waiting for Diablo III :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the forums. :)

This takes some getting used to. It is entirely possible to maintain peaceful relationships for the most part, unless the AI covets your land or you are a warmonger. But, you have to get the hang of it. For instance, if you declare a frienship with someone, they will expect you to give them stuff sometimes. Declining their requests will negatively affect your status. Deciding whether to give the polite response or the non-polite version is also more important than you may realize.

It kinda also depends who you end up next to - for instance if it's Alexander you're pretty much always going to get attacked. Other civs are nicer. If you do start next to an aggressive civ, it's best to try and get others to form a coalition and dogpile them. Sign friendships with other civs and bribe them to declare war! You can test the water by denouncing him - if the other civs join in your denouncement that means they are ready to dogpile him.

In short the diplomacy is fun, but takes some getting used to. It's certainly miles away from previous versions, and there is much disagreement on whether that is a good thing or not. Personally I like it.

I forgot to mention that I am also eagerly awaiting the return of the end-game replay. Also the graphs!! Winning the game is so anticlimatic...

Sadly, it has become the norm.

Except for Blizzard. They go to the opposite extremes though. Still waiting for Diablo III :lol:

Anyway, welcome to the forums. :)

good point I live blizzard games and im not even that into fantsy/sci fi but I have been having a blast with starcraft 2.

1. Espionage axed, thank the Lord.

2. That's not a setting, that's the problem with the AI diplomacy in general. It's gotten better with each new patch.

3. Because they're idiots.

This takes some getting used to. It is entirely possible to maintain peaceful relationships for the most part, unless the AI covets your land or you are a warmonger.

I'm in a king game now, random rolled Nappy/Archipelago so I went culture.

Askia to the east, Alex to the south, Hiawatha to the west and Washington to the northwest. Empty island to the north. How's that for a happening neighborhood.?

Even given that, not only have I not been at war at all yet (coming up on 1900AD at Epic speed, with 4 policys to go), I haven't built more than an initial scout. I did befriend a militaristic CS on my island early through a couple missions/requests, and kept them at "friends" throughout, to supply me with slowly upgrading defenders, but that's about it. Alex finally got around to denouncing me about 50 turns ago because we were competing for the same Friendly/Cultural CS (Go figure, Alex is the rich kid who thinks all the "Toys" are his), but the other 3 classic aggressive folk around me are all friendly with me, and I've taken pains to DoF with them and Denounce Alex back, which got THEM to denounce Alex back, and is the name of that tune - stick it, Alex.

So I *MIGHT* win... I'd put it at 70/30 in my favor, though Siam on the other side of the globe is starting to roll downhill on me and might be able to scarf a UN vote before I build Utopia. But if there was no challenge, there'd be no fun...

This takes some getting used to. It is entirely possible to maintain peaceful relationships for the most part, unless the AI covets your land or you are a warmonger. But, you have to get the hang of it. For instance, if you declare a frienship with someone, they will expect you to give them stuff sometimes. Declining their requests will negatively affect your status. Deciding whether to give the polite response or the non-polite version is also more important than you may realize.

It kinda also depends who you end up next to - for instance if it's Alexander you're pretty much always going to get attacked.
I have had a few totally peaceful games of late, and maybe major reasons were signing RA's with everyone as much as possible, having OB with everyone, and limiting to four founded cities?

I even got away with refusing gifts, and with having declarations of friendship with some (often, had triangles of mutual friends). I have no idea what did or did not cause what, just reporting the observations.

dV

I like passive espionage.

Ah yes, the rational setting. These AI are here to win. And they play for keeps. Don't go looking for many bells and whistles and definitely don't go trying to win like them.

Instead of a great replay video at the end of the game with graphs, a global perspective of your triumph and numerous screens to look over... you have an awesome, animated, movie-like intro video. We all watch the intro video because that's the best part of all video games and that's really where the quality shines.

To deactivate the intro video follow these instructions

Civ V is its own beast. There's less to do, but the skill involved when placing your melee in front of bombard is really, really priceless.

Top Bottom