Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

I have access to the mod on my mac but when i go to play it the mod contents aren't shown

Alan, thanks for taking the time to write this guide. If you (or anyone else) can help me, I'd quite appreciate it.

I'm running the basic Civ V through steam on OS X 10.8. When I show package contents for the 'Civilization V.app' all I have is a folder labeled "Contents" with two sub-folders ("MacOS" and "Resources") as well as a file labeled Info.plist. I do not see a "MainMenu.lua" file anywhere -- are you familiar with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Is Civ5 installed correctly? Does it run? Are you sure you are looking at the correct Civilization V.app? It's at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app

Don't forget the '~', which is short for your Home folder, at /Users/<your_user_id>

When you Show Package Contents, you should see "MacOS", "Resources" and "Home" folders. This "Home" folder contains "assets", which is where you need to go to find the file to edit.

I have access to the mod on my mac but when i go to play it the mod contents aren't shown

Which mod are you trying to use?

After you have checked the box to enable it in the Mods screen, you need to continue, select Single Player, and then go into the game setup screen to select the items in the mod - a map or a civ or a scenario depending on the mod content.

Is Civ5 installed correctly? Does it run? Are you sure you are looking at the correct Civilization V.app? It's at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app

Don't forget the '~', which is short for your Home folder, at /Users/<your_user_id>

When you Show Package Contents, you should see "MacOS", "Resources" and "Home" folders. This "Home" folder contains "assets", which is where you need to go to find the file to edit.

Many thanks, got it working!

What was the problem? It might help others if we know what you had to change.

[UPDATE] New feature: If you are using the Steam version of Civ5 then you can now subscribe to a Steam Workshop mod. It will then download to a folder on your Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/########/ugc/ *

Hi AlanH,

I cannot locate this folder on my Mac. I've made the changes to my Civcopy and I have installed and loaded Mods on my Mac. However, I have tried to subbscribed to the Canadian Civ Mod using the Workshop.

The item downloaded but I cannot find the folder you mentioned to go and get it. I can see the Library folder and the Application Support folder, but there is no Steam folder.

Any thoughts?

Are you looking in the correct Library folder? You need the Library folder inside your Home folder (that's what the ~ means), NOT the one at the top level of your hard drive.

The asterisk at the end of that sentence is supposed to point you to the Notes, where you can find instructions on how to get into the ~/Library folder, which is hidden in Lion and Mountain Lion.

Hi, I followed your instructions to step 4, but I'm having trouble finding that folder. Any help would be really great.
I got Civ5 on Steam, by the way.

Hi, Welcome

Did you find ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/ ?

PLEASE NOTE THE '~'. It's NOT /Library/Application Support/..... It lives in your Home folder and is HIDDEN. See the Notes on how to find it.

If you find that folder, then you should see one or two folders with numbers as their names. I have 64730857 and 1630446601. The instructions can't tell you what those numbers will be, as they are probably unique to each user. So they are shown as '########'.

One of those number folders should contain a 'ugc' folder. In that folder there will be a downloaded mod, inside a subfolder. Its name will end in .civ5mod. Aspyr don't make it easy for you to find it. Keep looking!

Hi, I edited the file, but I could only see Civilization V:God's & Kings to show package contents (not both Civ 5 and Civ 5 gods and kings to show package with)... Also I added the 2 hi-fens to the line of code but I'm not sure if I left too big/too small a gap (I don't know if it matters)... I've also copied/pasted the InstalledPanel.xml so I'm not sure what is wrong
Please help :)

Hi, welcome

There is only one application. It gets updated when you add Gods & Kings, and the extra features are incorporated into the single package.

When you add the hyphens, just make it look like the example I included in the instructions. It should work. You have to edit both copies of MainMenu.lua if you have Gods & Kings. They are both in the same package, at the locations I have given in the instructions.

But I'm telling you that in my
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/
there is no Civilization V.app, just a Civilization V:Gods & Kings.app
I changed the Civilization V:Gods & Kings.app and it still doesn't work.
Also, your example with the hy-fens is used with BBEdit, well I'm not gonna spend money on that programme and the spacing on the TextWrangler version is different so referring to your example to add in the -- doesn't help me lol
Also, I followed goofball's instructions and it says I should replace a file.... Well unfortunately for me the file was never there in the first place, I just copied and pasted it and it had no 'are you sure you want to replace this file' window come up.
I'm pretty confused.
I bought Civ5 in it's disc packet, and I installed civ5 gods and kings + all the other dlc from gift form (a friend gave it to me).
Also, (this might have something to do with it) I remember starting up Civ5 a while ago and it asked me to accept/decline user's agreement to use civ5 gods and kings a while ago when I only had civ 5 installed... It was a bit weird at the time, perhaps that's something that's effecting me trying to fix my civ5 + all the dlc to run mods... I just don't know...
I'd love help from people like you, who have much more knowledge about macs...
I even wonder if I delete every file in steam apart from a few and redownload everything in steam (please tell me if that might help)...
Mark

My copy of Ez7z has a window with "Drop something here" on a background that shades vertically from cyan to black. At the top of that window are three text buttons: "Expand", "Shrink", "View" and "PAR2".

The "Expand" option is the one I use. I don't see a "Decompress" option.

Just FYI, in trying to get the mods button enabled today, I updated mainmenu.lua under assets -> UI -> Front End to no effect. A search of the package revealed a second mainmenu.lua under assets -> DLC -> Expansion -> UI -> Front End. Editing this one enabled the Mods menu, finally. Now time to figure out actual mod installation...

Please note the following text in Section 3 of my post:

If you have the Gods & Kings expansion, repeat the above steps to edit the second copy of the file at:

Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

Finally, go to this post by Iamgoofball and follow his instructions to replace the file:

Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/Modding/InstalledPanel.xml

Emphasis added. If you missed that bit, you may also have missed the last bit that I have included above.

This question comes up over and over again, because the information is scattered around the forum.

[UPDATE] New feature: If you are using the Steam version of Civ5 then you can now subscribe to a Steam Workshop mod. It will then download to a folder on your Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/########/ugc/ *

* If you can't find ~/Library on your Mac, please see the Notes near the top of this post.

AlanH,
The UGC folder is not where it is usually. Actually, I can not find it. Has this ever happen to you and if so what did you do to solve the problem.
Many Thanks

Regards

Top Bottom