How to break someone's vassal agreement?

henyo10

Warlord
I wanted to make Saladin capitulate but he ends up voluntarily vassalizing himself to Zara. I want to make Saladin capitulate to me but how do I do it? He's down to one city since I took the rest of his cities. I don't like micromanaging his 10 other cities...

If you make the master capitulate odds are all their vassals will be willing to do the same. So if you have a big enough army war zara and capitulate them both.

I did it to Rome once when he had 6 vassals and mongolia when ghengis controlled a continent. With enough firepower and coastal razing you can conquer any level of AI very fast.

Has anyone had any decent games with vassals turned on? I usually turn vassals off. It seems broken to me.

My current game turned out to be pretty interesting. The hole world is divided into two major power blocks, me and Cyrus, both with several vassals. Only one civilization remained independant, with a vassal of his own.

After I won the game (AP diplomatic), I attacked Cyrus, which obviously led to a huge world war.

But I must say I'm a little disappointed in my vassals, who even though have a decent military power and modern technology, remained passive throughout the war.

My current game turned out to be pretty interesting. The hole world is divided into two major power blocks, me and Cyrus, both with several vassals. Only one civilization remained independant, with a vassal of his own.

After I won the game (AP diplomatic), I attacked Cyrus, which obviously led to a huge world war.

But I must say I'm a little disappointed in my vassals, who even though have a decent military power and modern technology, remained passive throughout the war.

Yeah, other than demanding resources from your vassals they;re pretty useless.

Yeah, other than demanding resources from your vassals they;re pretty useless.

I disagree, Vassals add a totally different dimension to the politics of the game. Without them you can just declare war one civ at a time until all of them have been destroyed. But with vassals, you need to consider who you're waging against since you might end up with 2 or 3 civs attacking you at once.

I like the vassal concept, in theory and practice. I've had some civs escape imminent destruction by becoming vassals of a strong rival of mine and had some civs do the same to receive my protection. It adds an interesting layer of strategy having to anticipate the profitability of continuing the war with a nation that now has another civ in its corner.

yes, vassals make the game more challenging and interesting. They make balance of power politics a part of the game. If you are happily teching away towards space, and another civ is happily vassalizing everyone one by one and you don't stop them, suddenly you'll find yourself at war with the entire world!! The vassal system means you can't just sit there and stay neutral all game, you actually have to get involved in global affairs. Is it more difficult? Yes, but I think that's a good thing.

It also gives the AI a chance to win a Domination victory, something it has never been able to do before.

The capitulation mechanics are excessively flawed, but vassals overall are a good element of play, and require tighter management of diplo (but potentially fast wars). They're pretty useless for tile micro and tech, and even war, but their pop counts as YOUR votes, they won't attack you at least, half their land and pop counts as yours, and if all that's left are your vassals, you win conquest. They definitely have their uses and I will take them with reasonable frequency, especially if going for a game-ending push.

Has anyone had any decent games with vassals turned on? I usually turn vassals off. It seems broken to me.

The problem is that "decent" is a subjective term. For me, the idea that a war victime can sell themselves out to another AI is great. It makes me plot and plan differently. Others find it amazingly irritating. Watching Shaka Zulu pile up vassals is wonderfully scary. Again, others may feel differently.

If it seems broken to you, then it either is broken for you and your playstyle or else you have an opportunity waiting for you to delve into and increase your play options and skills. No one can answer which it is for you except you. But hopefully, you'll have fun figuring it out.

I'll admit that I've been peeved about vassals many games. In fact, the vassalage system has caused me to LOSE countless games. I'll be 10 turns away from launching a space ship, and stupid Gengis will win a diplo victory because he's vassalized most of the world, or I'll be the most powerful and advanced civ on the globe, but been neutral all game while JC vassalized the whole world, and then it's me vs the world. I lose. Yes, it can be irritating, but it's no more irritating that getting declared on when you have no military. That just teaches you to have a standing army.
The vassalage system forces the human player to be much more active in the game. You have to keep the balance of power, you have to interfere to keep one civ from becoming too powerful (unless it's you, of course ;) and though the system has given me many losses that were near wins, in the end I think it really adds to the game.

The worst is when you bribed someone into war with a mutual enemy and they end up capitulating quickly. Damn power graph can be deceiving when it comes to AI.

I'll be 10 turns away from launching a space ship, and stupid Gengis will win a diplo victory because he's vassalized most of the world, or I'll be the most powerful and advanced civ on the globe, but been neutral all game while JC vassalized the whole world, and then it's me vs the world. I lose.

Well that's kind of the point of the vassal system. If you were guaranteed to win every time you played the game it would get boring very quickly. Having vassals makes it possible for the AI to win with more than just a Space Race victory, or Culture. In the vanilla game the AI never won with Domination and very rarely with Diplomatic. Now both of those options are possible.

wow, did you even read my post? Reread my post before you respond

Top Bottom