CIV World: IGN Preview

Well, it's not a stock market, you are literally buying tangible goods, I'd assume.

Here's how you know this is basically a xerox of a press release:

"If you know how Facebook games work, you're probably thinking about how premium currency fits into the equation and if it's possible to "buy" your way to victory. 2K says the developers are still tweaking and balancing, but the current plan is to limit what you can spend premium currency on, and how much you can spend a day. Their goal is to have the same fun and fair experience for the player that plays for free as the ones who pay."

Oddly enough this is the claim of every single company, whether or not it's true.

Well, it's not a stock market, you are literally buying tangible goods, I'd assume.

and it will be interesting to see how liquid. EVONY had very liquid commodities markets. with market spreads in the fractions of pennies. I actually enjoyed playing EVONY as a stock trading sim, the only problem was, take one day off, and the troops ate all of your capital. :)

Kingdoms of Camelot is the same game on Facebook (more or less) with highly illiquid markets and 1-2 dollar spreads.

Nice to see that IGN is being objective in their review :sarcasm:
Gah, another FB cash cow that will potentially ruin what used to be an excellant PC game series.

Well, since it's not even called Civilization, but Civ World, maybe "distract from" would be a better phrase than "ruin"?

Another preview, from Gamezebo.

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/civilization-world/preview

My analysis of this screenshot:
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/39046/civworld/images/civworld-20110510095802716.html?page=mediaFull

The tech tree shown in the screenshot is based on the CivRev tech tree. It has all CivRev techs except for Future Technology.

New techs:

Bc = Bronze Casting
Ic = Iron Casting
Hb = Horse Breeding, or Husbandry
Rb = Robotics
Pl = Plastics
Cp = Composites

Most techs retain their icons from CivRev. Bronze Working and Iron Working have new icons, and the old icons are given to their respective casting tech. Mass Media's icon has been changed from a microphone to a journalist.

The University tech has been selected, allowing us to see the icons for the University building and the Oxford University wonder. Oxford's icon is the same as CivRev's, while University's icon has been changed to a snapshot of the building's sprite.

Of course, as a browser game, CivWorld will be in development as long as it's alive. All of these may change.

I don't like the whole idea of them selling 'premium currency' for the game. I find something terribly sad about that. I wish they could just be content with advertising revenue.

I don't like the whole idea of them selling 'premium currency' for the game. I find something terribly sad about that. I wish they could just be content with advertising revenue.

Recall that they are a business and while I agree with you, it also seems logical to me.

I like the screenshots and am looking forward to playing this game. I've always enjoyed the idea of several players each controlling a city (city states) and working with each other. Heck, I tried to create a Civ IV game like that a couple years ago, only I couldn't gain enough interest.

"Perhaps that's because it's being developed by Sid Meier himself. 2K says it's his baby, and you can tell. He's created a new experience that still feels like classic Civilization, with all of the strategy and depth that comes with it."

This quote makes me wonder how CIV V - or even CIV IV - would have turned out if Sid was as hands on as he seems to be with the Facebook version.

You have to remember that what makes the things Sid has created so amazing is the fact that he is an innovator. Working on Civ for the 5th time would be torture to a man like that. Going somewhere like Facebook where the platform REQUIRES someone to push the envelope on the other hand is EXACTLY the kind of thing that can get him obsessed and keep him awake until he drops from exhaustion for weeks on end.

Unless some players I trust say it's a good game (after trying it, of course) I'll stay out.

Top Bottom