[Guide] Resource Gathering (beta)

Here's an interesting question: Why do these two scientists have the same productivity?

Spoiler screenshot :

Is the guy with the diagonal not running through the forest to get home? Maybe there are bears and wolufs in there and he has to go via the L-shape rather than on the diagonal.

Did you try moving the 2 houses away and back? Sometimes pathways are broken and this resets them.
That can also make a difference for farmers, because sometimes, their routes are not optimal and you can increase your total gain by placing them in the right order. If you add a farmer somewhere, he harvests whatever field is free.

Here's an interesting question: Why do these two scientists have the same productivity?

Spoiler screenshot :

That is interesting. Are they both taking the routes we would expect them to?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps it has something to do with rounding. After calculating bonuses maybe one scientist is producing 32.5 and the other is 33.4, but they both get rounded to 33? Perhaps with another great scientist you would get 33 and 34, or with 1 less you would get 32 and 33.

Regarding the value of the palace vs. green as a drop off point. I have this set up:
Code:
P
B
  M
  F
A palace, bank, merchant and forest, and this one:

Code:
F
M
  B
  G

Upside down and with a green instead of a palace.
The banks are ginormous and the palace and green are small
The palace gives 37 and the green 34.

Then I upgrade the green:
Small 34
Modest 37
Large 37
Ginormous 42

Based on this it seems like the green is a set behind a palace
Regarding the modest/large similarity, it probably rounds off a decimal in the calculation before adding modifiers. I have a 110% bonus on gold.

So that's my contribution. These things are expensive to test but I was expanding anyway. This game is nearing the end so I probably won't have time to test another setup to get more data, until next game.

It seems like there are sometimes bugs with size upgrades. I've heard of people getting no benefit from Large > Ginormous, for example, when pretty clearly they should. The difference is big enough to not be a rounding error, even at low productivity (but especially when higher).

Naturally bugs complicated testing. Or if this is intended behavior, it's pretty bizarre.

I just noticed that my farmers seem to get a happiness bonus from living next to the walls at the edge of the map.

I did a test on bridges and distances.

Same layout except that in the second case there's a road across the sea. As you can see, farmer values are identical.

So distances do not seem to be strongly affected by roads.

Attachments

• farm01.jpg
    farm01.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 310
  • farm02.jpg
    farm02.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 280
Might be worth noting in the main guide that wall spaces at the edge of the world boost happiness as well as forests and water.

I find the
FFH
HMH
HFF setup to be the most ideal of the forest setups. Every house has a minimum of +2 happiness due to being next to a neighbor and a forest. Bordering water/forests can bump that to +4 happy at max (for the two corners) not counting civ happy bonuses.

This layout sometimes suffers from the inoptimal pathfinding bug, but not always.

Does anyone know if homeless population still contributes to trickle income? Because some times I see the price of production get so high I'd be a fool not to cash in everything that can be recycled at full cost, unless I'm reducing my other income.

I think it might because if you look at some of these people who play for one day and never come back, they end up with a lot of population (all of whom are grey guys with no houses), and where the heck does it come from, if not the trickle.

I think it might because if you look at some of these people who play for one day and never come back, they end up with a lot of population (all of whom are grey guys with no houses), and where the heck does it come from, if not the trickle.

well once they reach 24 harvest the trickle stops i belive for that reason.. when people don't play for like a week they can't come back and just destroy the market since they have tons of extra resources

well once they reach 24 harvest the trickle stops i belive for that reason.. when people don't play for like a week they can't come back and just destroy the market since they have tons of extra resources

Well, last week the game was (effectively) down for 2-3 days, and people did come back and destroy the economy, haha..

well i was wondering what you guys thought about these two set-ups for trying to max out science. Trying to get as many houses as possible maxed out on one set of villages and seeing if it would be worth adding another village or more onto exsisting ones.

For Design 1: i'm assuming the placement of the green houses should max each one of them the most it can but would it be worth adding the grey houses or instead finding another spot to set-up four more with a new village? Its only a .5 extra walking distance for he grey houses

For Design 2: is this set-up for the green houses better or worst than the first design? The houses are maxed out in happiness but have to walk further (5 compared to 3.5 using diagonal as 1.5 and striaght as 1). so i'm assuming design one would be the better set-up but nore sure. I would think the grey houses here not be worth adding?

If any1 has a better design let me know as in my current game we are about to get villages so plan on switching to science probably soon.

Spoiler screenshot :

Do you have a global happiness bonus from wonder or policies?

If so, your guys are super-ecstatic. If happiness works like it was previously speculated, by reducing the penalty for movement, then both have their route reduced by four, which is larger than or equal to their total route for both of them. The top right guy then has a route equal to 4-4=0, the lower guy has a route of 3.5-4=-0.5. If the game doesn't give a bonus for negative work route, then what is happening in the pic is that both are working at their maximum possible capacity.

That's my theory anyways.

Top Bottom