Ideas to improve Civworld

thecaesar

Will appear randomly
I was thinking, Civworld is lacking some things that normal Civ has. These are, of course, just suggestions, and all of them are IMO only, but:

1. I think a trading system would be nice, though how it would be implemented I don't know. Perhaps a Trade Minister could see to this. Civs could trade gold, techs, great people, etc.

2. After battle, I haven't noticed if you steal techs/gold/great people/etc. from the loser. If not, you should be able to steal these, and perhaps even be able to choose which you steal.

3. The game should alert you to how many personal/national chat messages you have received since you last checked your chat. This will make communication easier.

4. Maybe there could be alliances, treaties, etc. between Civs. In this way the smaller Civs could band together to fight off the monster ones that seem to dominate the game.

Just ideas, but maybe someone important will see them and like them. Feel free to criticize and suggest other ideas!

1. No. Too abusable by players that create multiple Facebook accounts.

2. When you win a battle, you get ALL the tech AND wonders they had. Doesn't matter if you are attacking or defending, you get all of them from the losing side.

3. There are a lot of UI changes that can be for the better, and I'll say this is the least of them. Stuff like zooming out, confirmation on whether to start a vote/leave a civ, countdown timers inaccurate, 100 building limit bug (with no indication you reached it), display bugs with civ size and military strength, laggy chat, chat that doesn't show up in the chat window, nation chat (to another nation) that doesn't work, lack of a "winning" or game history screen after the game has ended, just to name a few.

4. This could lead to interesting scenarios.

I think they have to change it so battles only take place at reasonable hours. Having battles at 4 am is insane, and I'm never going to play CivWorld again if my Civ has to lose because we have lives and the other guys don't. There is too much advantage to being online for battles. This caused me to lose any interest in CivWorld and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

It'd be nice if the Defense Minister could add units from their civ's armies to battle, if they have the option to remove them.

Also, improving the throne room would be awesome. I've got a couple things in mine that I only have because I accidentally clicked on the icon (and with how slow the game can run on my computer, the throne while trying to click something else), and there's no way to undo it. And with the lack of symmetry available, it's just not a pleasant experience being in or decorating it.

I think they have to change it so battles only take place at reasonable hours. Having battles at 4 am is insane, and I'm never going to play CivWorld again if my Civ has to lose because we have lives and the other guys don't. There is too much advantage to being online for battles. This caused me to lose any interest in CivWorld and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

4am for WHOM? The nice thing about the 10 hours in a team with people from all over the world was that the battle was always at an okay time for someone.

My idea to change the game. 1 second delay on inbox popup so when I'm chasing bubble, scrolling, or just passing the cursor for whatever reason a box doesn't jump down my throat.

It causes no harm or anything (unless you happen to be clicking in the very wrong place at the very wrong time), but irritations are irritations. When itchy, get scratchy.

4am for WHOM? The nice thing about the 10 hours in a team with people from all over the world was that the battle was always at an okay time for someone.

Well I'm not on a "team", I just played the game. I doubt that any one player but the defense minister would make any difference unless that one person had most of the units for the Civ. The battle system just plain sucks in a variety of ways, this is just the most annoying for me..if there's a battle that determines as much as CW's battles do, I want to be online for it...but I'm really not going to plan my life around it.

the game is global so when its 4 AM for you then it's just an evening for someone else

the only advice is to make your wars at convenient times (so you need to control your last votes for invasions) and/or make the military advisor someone who is more online than you

----

now, about OP's ideas:

1) you can trade resources and GP via market already. i do that with a friend and it's not really a problem

about the global tech trade - i'm not sure if you would like to trade techs with your rival and trading techs with inferior countries would mean that they would have to give you something that it could be split up against all members (so, a wonder or GOLD or resources.. but not GPs)

2) stealing GPs would be too much in my opinion

3) yeah, chat needs improvements

4) could be interesting... you can already help defend other civilization so making it official (with perhaps some perks) would be not a bad idea :)

In Civilization, we are encouraged and rewarded by building a developed society (civilization), with communities and medical and science aspects and everything which doesn't exist on Civ World. I get that it's an aspect of the social experience, but they could do more to make it a more concrete, solid game more like Civilization (especially when that's what the Civ fans want out of their latest game). Also as stated at OSG1, maybe this is just poor UI, but it is very difficult to interact with your parent Civ. Are we at war with anyone? Who knows, Civ places players in a strange non-standardized way. Those are my two biggest complaints with the game. It doesn't even really feel like a Civ game to be honest.

Unless it's in the game already and I'm missing it (still new to CW after all), the ability to specify the number of units to send into battle among those you have available would be awfully nice to have. If you have more than one battle going on at the same time, the ability to direct an appropriate number of units to each battle would be important, as opposed to the all-in approach currently used.

you can put all units into one battle and start retreating them right away

observe while they are retreating and if you notice that the right amount of units remains in the battle - stop retreating.

Do not allow people to re-join a game once they have left it so that the exploit doesn't continue.

Battles to me are the mechanic that can use the most work at the moment.

They are always going to be incovnient times for someone, they are not intuitive (at least so it seems for most folks), and can be major swings in the progress of a game.

Battles to me are the mechanic that can use the most work at the moment.

They are always going to be incovnient times for someone, they are not intuitive (at least so it seems for most folks), and can be major swings in the progress of a game.

First off, in any game of the genre, battles are always at inconvenient times for someone. That's an unavoidable fact. Or a strategy, depending upon your point of view.

Third, battles can be major swings? Would you rather they were irrelevent? Frankly, this game doesn't have enough in it to remove the battles, so they have to retain their power to influence the outcome of the game.

Secondly, consider Evony. Evony is a rather successful game of this genre, and there it is a deliberate design feature that battles are inscrutable. No one knows how battles work in Evony. On the other hand there's countless games out there where the combat system is simple and easy to learn, but they don't make a ton of money for their developer. That may be a coincidence, but good luck convincing 2K games of that.

I had a few ideas...
1. When "stealing" a wonder from another civ it should cost X amount of hammers. Otherwise it's just foolish to be the first one to build a wonder. I've had a wonder for less than 30 minutes before. It adds almost no value.
2. FIX IT! My goodness. I try to enter games when they start and they are always buggy. First one the chat didn't work. Second one I built my houses and a perk building and then they all disappeared - along with all of my hammers. Plus it says I have zero Civ Bucks even though I think I have around 30 left. Also the new games tend to crash quite frequently.
3. Military conquest needs to be reworked. Over 20 hours until the battle does little. Reasons to go to war are 1) to gain their wonders 2) to have an era victory and 3) to gain any tech that they might have that you don't. I understand that you want to have a lot of time to coordinate and build up the armies, however 20 hours is just too long. By that time I could have stolen the wonder from them, probably gained a scientific victory, and researched the techs that they have. Doubtful that they have more techs than me as if they did then we'd be equal and a battle would be foolish.
4. Equalize the resources. Someone did a formula where it showed that creating culture and gold was a complete waste of time. Food and production rule the day, with science coming in 2nd. Reason? I can raise 100 gold and 100 food in the same amount of time, yet food is rarely less than 400 gold. Logically we should just eliminate merchants altogether. Same with Culture. I can use that food or production and buy far more great people than I could by just building culture. This is why in every game I've played Culture costs about 100 or so GP throughout the game. Everyone just sells it.
5. Back to wonders, just make them permanent. They can be taken only by force. Or add some espionage to the fray. Allow people to build spies who kidnap the GP's who made up the wonder, but if caught they have some other penalty, chosen by whomever they were trying to steal from. If they're successful, the civ has a window of opportunity to build the wonder since the original civ may not notice right away, or they may not have the GP's on hand to rebuild it.

I'll agree that there should be some form of closing screen. Maybe keep the chat window available for a bit of good natured trash talking or so that I can have a last communication with my civ so that we can get together on our next game.

If what's done in battle is determined prior to the round starting, do the rounds really need to be 80 seconds long? If it's possible, shorting that would definitely be nice, so that even the un/minimally opposed battles don't take as long as they do.

Maybe more Great Leaders. What's with the hover over (Hammer)! Boxes? Do I have to hover over these or can I ignore them?

You don't have to hover over them, but they are bonus resources (all five appear, not just hammers). +1 for hovering over/clicking on them. Which can add up over time.

So basically, if you stand in front of your PC for hours on end, you have a huge advantage over someone who, I don't know, has a job and can't?

Top Bottom