Do you like Afterworld?

• Yes

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 81 71.7%

• Total voters

settlervstank

Chieftain
BtS has some good mods. Next War was nice. Civ defence and Broken Star were okay. Final Frontier was AWESOME!:trophy: Road To War and Rhye's And Fall Of Civilization were pretty good. Couldn't get in to Fall from Heaven.

But Afterworld, in my opinion, was boring as heck.

It's just not the Civ I know and love. There's no cities, no wonders, no culture, or anything that makes Civ iconic. The only civ in the mod, which I call the Redex because of their flag, is only available through WorldBuilder.

Sure, there's zombies, but zombies can't cancel out the fact that it's barely Civ at all!!!

This is just my opinion. You can post yours here.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Crossroads and Charlemagne. Crossroads gets a meh, and Charlemagne is too easy. All you habve to do is use WorldBuilder to make a bunch of relics and gift them to the pope. Firaxis really should have known better to make WorldBuilder an in-game map editor. We all know the most common use for WorldBuilder is cheating,;)

Well, back to Afterworld.

I always wanted to play it for the plot, but I never got around to it.

I think you're seeing it as a civ mod, when its meant to be looked at as more of an RPG.

Also, if you think Charlemagne and Crossroads are too easy, try not using worldbuilder :)

I voted the first no:cool: because its just not my kind of game. I like historical strategy games, not futeristic RPGs.

Charlemagne is one of my fav scenarios and I think crossroads is too hard :blush:
(Il try world builder;) )

I always wanted to play it for the plot, but I never got around to it.

I think you're seeing it as a civ mod, when its meant to be looked at as more of an RPG.

Also, if you think Charlemagne and Crossroads are too easy, try not using worldbuilder :)

FYI, there's a way to win the game using the Redex civ. Use world builder to make a Redex city, and put a unit on there to defend it. tell the city to build the blue smoke swirly thing, and when it finishes, you win the game. It's basically a glitch.

Hmmm... You said it was supposed to be viewed as a RPG? No wonder it's a bad mod! It's not 4x strategy!

Come on, people, post something and vote.

Okay, so far it seems that everybody likes Afterworld as much as Chris- which means that nobody likes it. I know that there has to be at least one Afterworld fan on this site, but no one so far has come to its defense. Where is he/she?

Terrible, played it once for 2 hours, that was the last time I've played it.

Still no Afterworld fans. Why haven't they posted anything or voted on the poll? Is it because they don't exist? Are they embarrassed? I'm kinda shocked. I didn't know it sucked that much.

I thought it was pretty bad, even as a big RPG fan. It started out pretty cool, but, like someone else said, there's too much story and hardly any variation in the gameplay. Terrain is pretty much the same all the way through as well.

EDIT: But FfH is just awesome. Best of the mods in my opinion, and there's some tough competitors.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Crossroads and Charlemagne. Crossroads gets a meh, and Charlemagne is too easy. All you habve to do is use WorldBuilder to make a bunch of relics and gift them to the pope.

It seems strange to complain something's too easy if you're cheating to win.:lol:

I played Afterworld, just couldn't get into it. Sure, it's an RPG sorta like FFH is on lower difficulties but it just isn't civilization.

It was more of a proof of concept.

I didn't like it either, but I thought sure somebody would have. I'm not that fond of Final Frontier either. Rhye's is awesome and I like it by far the best.

I'm surprised it's losing 17-0 at this point. I also didn't know it sucked this badly, I thought it was just me. Guess it's not me.

You asked for me and now I came. I know it's a little weird especially the difficulties I've been having (none of my activated bonuses are working), but I actually enjoy Afterworld. I guess I come from playing a lot of Custom map Starcraft and RPGs in my gameplay, but Afterworld is a pretty unique addition to the Civ series.
Sure, it doesn't have the sprawling cities and massive armies, but it's not meant too, it's supposed to feel like a dungeon crawl, not an RTS or TBS! It's also very much in the style of Rogue likes (Games where you go through a dungeon and try and reach the end, if you get killed you have to start over, gaining power along the way).

If you want to make it more challenging, don't level your dudes, or keep them spread out, then you'll find out how hard it actually is!

To be honest, this mod scares me. To me it does not feel like a civ game should even though you know it's different.

You asked for me and now I came. I know it's a little weird especially the difficulties I've been having (none of my activated bonuses are working), but I actually enjoy Afterworld. I guess I come from playing a lot of Custom map Starcraft and RPGs in my gameplay, but Afterworld is a pretty unique addition to the Civ series.
Sure, it doesn't have the sprawling cities and massive armies, but it's not meant too, it's supposed to feel like a dungeon crawl, not an RTS or TBS! It's also very much in the style of Rogue likes (Games where you go through a dungeon and try and reach the end, if you get killed you have to start over, gaining power along the way).

If you want to make it more challenging, don't level your dudes, or keep them spread out, then you'll find out how hard it actually is!
Whoa. How long has it been since this post started? An Afterworld fan? I was beginning to think that they didn't exist!

I wasn't extremely fond of it either. For one thing, the story was so f*cking long that after the 5th page of it, I just skipped it. Not the kind of game meant for TL;DR fans.

I don't understand how "it's not Civ" is a valid complaint. The whole point of Afterworld was to make a totally different game using the Civ engine. And as a game, I can say that I had fun playing it, which was more than I could say with Charlemagne or Gods of Old.

I don't understand how "it's not Civ" is a valid complaint. The whole point of Afterworld was to make a totally different game using the Civ engine. And as a game, I can say that I had fun playing it, which was more than I could say with Charlemagne or Gods of Old.

I understand that it's not supposed to be Civ, but if it's a Civ mod, I expect cities, settlers, workers, unit, wonders, etc., not Bodytanks, Sentinels, zombies, and RPG elements. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against RPGs. Pokemon is a RPG, and I love Pokemon. I also think Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story is a decent game. But Afterworld, in my opinion, sucks. One of the main problems is the turn system. Turns during battles are okay, like in Pokemon. But turn based moving is a problem. Sure, it happens in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but only when you're near an enemy, not all time. Sure, you have like a gazillion move points, but you don't always need to go that far. Also, why does it cost a point to turn? It could be because the the Bodytanks are heavy, but doesn't this take place thousands of years in the future, around the time Ender arrives at Lusitania? Shouldn't we be able to use nanotechnology or something make things like that super light? And besides, in the intro, it said that they could alter gravity. Since weight has a positive correlation with gravity's strength, couldn't they use their Aperture Science Gravity Alter-O-Matic or whatever to make it lighter? And why zombies?

Y'know, once you think about, a lot of games have zombies, like Call of Duty, Half-Life, Resident Evil, Halo, even Zelda. Why in the name of everything decent in the world do game developers like zombies so much?

Top Bottom