Hamachi

bardliam

Chieftain
Does anyone here use this, and have they done it to play RiFE multiplayer? If so, can you give me the Dummies version of how to set it up?

Specific questions - my friend and I used to play multiplayer over his wired LAN. Now we want to play over the internet. Since the 'Internet Play' option for multiplayer will not list the game over Gamespy, and attempts for Direct IP connection play have failed, I guess what I'm looking for is a step-by-step on how to play over Hamachi. I have set up a network and named it, and sent the 'deploy' link to my friend via email. Does he just have to download and install it and then join my network, and then the game I am hosting will show under the LAN multiplayer lobby?

He will have to join your Hamachi network, and after that one of you hosts and another one joins via "Direct IP connection" using the IP you have in Hamachi (!). You can't play LAN via internet via hamachi.

Internet games--the game-spy lobby thing-- didn't work for you? Odd; with RiFE, my fellows and I haven't had any connection problems that didn't exist for FFH2/FF. We usually try to use Direct IP but we will occasionally use the internet lobby--both without 3rd party assistance--.

This link should work: Hamachi

You can make an account to manage it online, or not and mess with it through the application. There's a $70 version iirc that gives you more features and stuff, but the free version will allow you to connect up to 5 people in a network.

I set it up a while ago, so most of this is from memory.

Yup, no problem. Ashes is most fun in MP, I think :)

I'm currently on winter break, so if anyone ever wants a person to play with, lemme know;)

Is that an old version? I'm not aware of that.

I'm running 2.2.0.109, which is the newest update (so it tells me), which is also the same version that the link I posted installs in unmanaged mode. If there is a more recent version, let me know I guess?

If it just required a small update upon download, that's not so bad. Sometimes companies don't always perfectly update their installers but let automatic updates take care of it instead.

I went to the site and found the latest install to be 4.1.3888 but heres the thing.

I had to make an account to get access it and I also think its only a trial i tried this version of hamachi that you gave me and it works more than fine so I think I will stick with it rather than give it up for something that could potentially be a problem.

But hey if you want to give it a shot let me know how it goes.

Top Bottom